I think I fixed my water leak....

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I noticed that my wagon would accumulate water in the rear side panels. I took this pic last winter (I've been busy). This is the driver side.

Today, I decided to tear into it. I broke the p/s b pillar in the process.

As soon as the inner panels were removed, I saw the likely issue. Only the lower rear nut was there, on both sides. I was able to move the glass by tugging on it. I have no clue why, but both rear windows were replaced. My car is a '96; one of the windows was date coded '97 and the other '98.

I think I spent more time razoring the silicone off than pulling the panels and glass. The p/s had a tad of rust on the stud holes, so they were wire wheeled and "rust encapsulated". Prep everything, tape off the sealing areas and apply a few coats of wax.

I used a wire wheel on a drill to clean the threads on the 15 window studs.

I used 3/8" butyl rope caulk to reseal the windows; one roll was more than enough. Where the studs are, are standoffs, so you can't squeeze all the sealant out.

The nuts that I needed are pretty common (M5x.8); I pulled the majority from old Rabbit taillights. Snugged everything down, and I'll go back tomorrow after the car has been sitting in the sun and retighten.

It's pouring now, so tommorow I'll see if it's fixed.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The car came with ugly factory wheels with snow tires. The Dodge Swiss Cheese were in the garage for over a year. I glad to have had them.

-Todd

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
The car came with ugly factory wheels with snow tires. The Dodge Swiss Cheese were in the garage for over a year. I glad to have had them.

-Todd
My GLH enthusiast buddy calls them "pepper pots" which I believe is the common name for them. Definitely look cool.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used to call them "pepper pots". Then I was browsing a Mopar forum and saw a wheel glossary where they were referred to as "Swiss cheese". There technically was never a "pepper pot". Not sure if it the name was pulled from the ATS or Momo line.

http://www.dempseybowling.com/shelby/wheel101.htm

The 12 holed wheels also found on GLHs were refered to as "pizza". No matter... we both know what we're talking about and I'm not a Mopar guy.

-Todd

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
I'm gonna have to look at my windows too...i got a mystery leak in the rear p/s compartment...it fills the tray...I think i've narrowed it to the seals in the side window...

I had no idea that they just bolt out...I always thought these were glued in or some other type seal (like the old rabbit windshields). Are all/most wagon side windows like this?

I'll be checking the bolts to see it they are loose or something.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
Mine might be leaking under the roof rail trim...

I pulled my rails and trim off...the side that leaks....well there were 2 screws used to hold the trim down...drilled right thru the roof sheet metal and no sealer...***?????

anyway, this might be the source of my water leak...but I think not...the amoutn of water collecting in the side compartment tray is more than what I think would seep past the screws...

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you were able to pull them from the outside, I'd try sealing them cleanly. The HL needs to be pulled down to get to the actual rail hardware.

-Todd

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
there are 3 posts that the rail bolts to...I asume those are the ones that are mounted under the headliner and go through the roof? those looked solid and sealed...I grabbed then and tugged a bit and found no play..

But I suspect the leak is coming thru the rear top of the side window...the stupid PO screws are mid-ship and forward...I don't really see the water creeping that far back and dropping down into the tray and not a drop of water collects anywhere else...

the drips are right above the tray in the rear quarter panel void area and too high to be coming thru the tail light

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, I was told they went through the roof with a through bolt or something. I never had the need to pull mine, so I never verified.

-Todd

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
they do go thru the roof...i saw a post where a guy unbolted and removed them and made a smooth roof wagon.

they bolt in from underneath and there is some kinda seal or sealant used...

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
sealed the two screw holes and still have a leak...

it's the side window cause when I tried pushing it out a little the water drops went crazy...

the rope seal caulk stuff...where did ya get it? I have something similar for RV skylight and roof air conditioner sealing...

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought the stuff i used at Autozone. 1 roll should be enough.

Don't forget to do the lowest screw at the rear corner. I forgot that one stud (it wasn't in the seal channel) and had a minor leak. I ended up pulling both windows back out, just to be safe.

-Todd

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
found a couple nuts missing...one was laying on the window frame...the other yet to be found...tightened up the nuts and now just a very slight drip...need to remove and completely reseal the window...will do both sides since i've already got most the trim removed...

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
pulled window and re-sealed...

I found that the old seal was nothing more than a foam rubber bead that went all around a channel...I didn't see anything wrong with it but it fell out and was not glued in place in anyway...I perhaps wonder if the bead fell a little out of place when they last mounted the window...

anyway, I just used that window seal rope from Autozone...I'm gonna let it sit a while and then tighten the nuts some more as the sealant spreads out and softens in the texas heat...

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I found that the old seal was nothing more than a foam rubber bead that went all around a channel...
Yup... I didn't mention that. Hope you didn't forget the stud at the lowest rear corner, like I did. It's not in the channel path but will leak.

-Todd

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
I found that nut when the window just would not come out...lol

the left window looks to have some sticky stuff peaking out from the inside...i guess that one has been replaced before and the pax side was the old original gasket and it just leaks after a while...well several nuts were loose and one had fallen off...

maybe locktight? or would that crack the glass the next time they have to be removed?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know if I'd use locktite. Maybe just a bit of the butyl sealant on the threads or under the nuts. It should be sticky enough, so the nuts don't vibrate loose.

-Todd

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
damn water is still coming in...this is getting irritating...plus all the plastic trim is crap and breaking apart :-(

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe your frames are beat? If you put enough of the rope caulk around the channel and snugged everything up, I can't thnk of anything else to blame.

-Todd

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
Well I don't think it's the seal itself...it's almost like its the hatch hinge or roof rack post...

I can stick my finger up inside the unibody at the extreme rear and feel dampness...I just can't see the source...It feels like it's higher than the window...

The roof post and window bolts/nuts look dry...I can see them all...

is the hatch hinge welded to the body or bolted on?

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
I think it is the rear roof post...anyone ever pull and re-seal one? I wanna know what's gonna happen before I rip mine out.

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Well, I guess it's time to fix my leak...

Thank you citizen of Oakland. Came out after seeing Kraftwerk (amazing show btw!) to find this awaiting. Nothing taken, and I was one of about 7 or 8 cars that were hit. Cold drive home. Thankfully, I was able to get some bodyshop sealing sheet over the hole before our rain hit. Managed to find a doner wagen @ the local self-serve for $39 (vs. the $245 I would've paid thru work) since I didn't feel like running this thru my insurance. Ended up picking up a box of 1/4" Windo Weld caulk to seal it back into the car. With any luck, that'll work better than the foam strip I saw when I pulled the replacement out. I'll try to remember to document my work & post it up here. Stay tuned...