I think I fell in love with a Sportwagen

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Don't get me wrong, I still love my MINI, but....
There was a car show down here at the Empire State Plaza and they had a real nice white Sportwagen.
What are the negatives now of a TDI? I've been away. Do they still have timing belts?

Thanks
VF

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
VELVET WHO????

Who let the cat out????? see what it dragged back!!

Yes still have TB's.

As Arron stated.

We still have the T red!

diezel

TDI
2010 Candy White SportWagen
In response to IMAAron I'd like to provide my experience with my 2010 Candy White SportWagen TDI DSG (just turned over 29000 miles):
HPFP: NO ISSUES
DSG: No issues, and yes, I actually think it is a lovely transmission.
I/C "Icing": I live in coastal Northern California and have no experience with this.
DPF: No issues.
I fell in love with the SportWagen at a car show in San Francisco in the fall of 2009 and I still love the car. I have averaged 37 MPG over the life of my wagen.
As far as any other issues, a rear 02 sensor went bad early on and I had the front passenger window regulator replaced under warranty during the last maintenance visit at Dirito VW in Walnut Creek, CA. (Very competent dealership, by the way.)
Sorry I can't back up your VW experience, IMAAron.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I could almost carbon copy diezel's post, but mine is a 2011 candy white.
No HPFP problems at 29000mi (I use Diesel Kleen silver),
I/C "Icing": I live in Southren California and have no experience with this.
I enjoy the DSG transmission,
I drive almost entirely highway, my lifetime mpg is around 44mpg.
Absolutely no other issues with the car, yet.

PeterV

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Hi Peter. Yes, it could be love. Love means never having to say you're sorry, right. :)

BUT here it costs a lot of ....... beer to forget ..... also to remember the old times and Fests.

If you do get one you do know where help is!

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
The one I was looking at was a 6 speed.
I thought common rail was the cat's meow.
Do they have a hill holding feature? My wife likes that.

VDUB_TDI_2004

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
2011 jsw - dsg

In response to IMAAron I'd like to provide my experience with my 2010 Candy White SportWagen TDI DSG (just turned over 29000 miles):
I/C "Icing": I live in coastal Northern California and have no experience with this.
I fell in love with the SportWagen at a car show in San Francisco in the fall of 2009 and I still love the car. I have averaged 37 MPG over the life of my wagen.
As far as any other issues, a rear 02 sensor went bad early on and I had the front passenger window regulator replaced under warranty during the last maintenance visit at Dirito VW in Walnut Creek, CA. (Very competent dealership, by the way.)
Sorry I can't back up your VW experience, IMAAron.
Same report here:
2011 Red SportWagen TDI DSG (34000+ miles): 36-37mpg mixed driving.
DSG: No issues, and yes, sport mode is sweeet.
I/C "Icing": I live in NE Florida.

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
Back on topic and to answer your question - yes - hill assist is a GO. And I know where you can get in under 26. Assuming you can live without a glass roof.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Ditto. I don't kow what IMAAron (internet expert) is talking about since he does not back ut up.

HPFP.... this has been beat to death.... it happens, it is rare but too much in my opinion, and the collateral damage seems to be ridiculous, requiring replacement of a large chunk of the fuel system, not the least of which are the injectors. Not only do they fail they cause damage. That is my big gripe. With that said it is rare statistically, and I would not worry about it for the first 36/36... warranty. After that you might worry if that is your nature. I have 54K on my 2010 no issues. I bought it used with 39K and got another 24/24 warranty. So I have about 9,000 miles and 12 months left on my warranty... I might consider buying more warranty or trading in for a new car (yes a TDI). I do add 4 Oz. of Optilube XPD per tank and I know if I ever start to feel like I am loosing power SHUT IT OFF, get it towed and look for metal in the down stream fuel line and fuel filter. If you catch it early you may save from distroying the whole fuel system. Again pretty rare statistically. The cost to repair by dealer (which is a rip off) is in the $5,000 min to +$12,000 max range depending on what happened.

The DSG transmission is better than manual... except it weighs more and cost more.... some say they are getting better mileage with manual. I suppose that is true, but I think it has to do with weight.

I have no case of intercooler ice and recently was under my car and removed the intercooler hoses, they were clean except for a little turbo snot, a little oil water mix... emphasis on little.

Last DPF and the after treatment system are fine and reliable. There is more to it than the DPF. There is a NOX catalytic converter. It is some what exotic and dread buying one of those out of pocket. I don't know what they cost.... However there is no reason all the exhaust will not go 200,000 miles or more. With that said I recall all car manufactures must provide by FED law 80,000 of warranty on the exhaust system (it just is not advertised).

Now the good part.... TORQUE and FUN to drive with that kind of power. #2 42.2 MPG on mostly highway with 25% city.

Last edited:

ptcflyer

TDI
Jetta SW 2010 - Blue/Cornsilk Pano / DSG / Porto
2010 JSW. Just turned 60000 miles. No issues whatsoever. First car I have ever owned that had zero mfg defects to this point.

Car rides like and looks like new.

No regrets here.

PeterV

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Well as we all know there is a price on everything except perhaps on Tomo

rickcrna1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
On my 2010 JSW 6 speed manual with 59,500 miles so far I've had issues with:

1. Intercooler icing (warranty)
2. MAF (mass air flow) sensor replaced (about $500)
3. Been in the shop at least 3 times for the above mentioned issues

Would I own another VW product? Probably not....there are to many other more reliable choices out there with less maintenance costs. The trouble with owning a TDI, is that your presumed gas mileage savings over a gasser is often negated by the potential and actual TDI repair costs.

As for my 2 cents....I would suggest finding another vehicle to fall in love with!

PeterV

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Yeah BBB its me I was trying to trade!!! LoL

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
2010 White JSW DSG with ~31,000 miles

HPFP - no problems at all
DSG - no problems at all
IC icing - yes, couple of hard to start and a no-start, got it towed to dealer and had the IC kit installed, so far so good!!! Actually I get better fuel economy in the winter with the kit so it is a ++
DPF - no problems at all

This is an easy car to fall in love with!!! I love this car. I am not sure I would ever part with it. I drove it on a trip today, drove it 280 miles and was getting 44mpg, that is pretty impressive for the temperature and through the hills on PA!!! I also tow a small trailer with my motorcycle and gear on it, probobly weighs around 800lbs and I can still get 33mpg, most gas cars have a tough time getting 33mpg!!!

Last edited:

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
I'll chime in too...

2011 JSW, 6-spd, no roof

Purchased 12/31/2010; 40000 miles

No HPFP issues (yet?)
No IC icing - car is garaged but, hey, this is NH and it's cold!
No DPF or other exhaust issues

In terms of other issues with the car, a window seal strip was replaced to cure driver side wind noise. That's been it.

So, reasonably happy with it so far. Do I worry about HPFP and all the other complex crap on the car? Yes, a bit, but it doesn't keep me awake at night. I use Opti-lube at each fill. Don't know if it makes any difference but I figure it can't hurt. I examine the fuel filter for particles when it's changed. And, I try not to abuse the car.

Anything I don't like? Yes... too much road noise gets into the cabin. More than with my previous B4V and more than my GFs 98 Camry. The clutch took quite a bit of getting used to before I mastered the take-off... and I've been driving manual trans for 50 years. Think I've got it now :)

Great utility and cargo space, great fuel efficiency (40-43 avg), not bad looking, good handling. I like to get 250K-300K out of my cars so time will tell if this one can do it.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Tomorrow is the 3 year anniversary of the purchase of my Sportwagen......
2010 Salsa Red 6 speed manual transmission......5000+ in aftermarket add ons...
58,500 miles
IC Iced one time last winter
A/C Compressor failed last year (common problem)
Experienced a broken wire that caused car to lose Boost......
Other than these cars is trouble free and an absolute joy to drive!

Last edited:

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
2010 JSW TDI @41k miles
HPFP - no issues - 5 oz of stanadyne performance additive per fillup from 8k miles on.
DSG - no issues, it has its quirks, but it's fine. An exceptional "automatic" once you learn its ways. I'd rather row a manual, but it was my moms choice.
Intercooler - b*tched to the dealer and got the kit put on in March of 2012 (rev 3? vacuum lines) without presenting any issues.
No CELs.
No DPF issues (car sees highway driving very often, usually yielding 45-48 mpg at 68 mph.
Brake pad/rotor wear looks good so far, and I brake pretty late. Brakes squeal (HOWL) when the rotors/pads (oem) are stone cold, goes away shortly thereafter.

Car is an absolute joy!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
2010 JSW with 45K, no issues. 2011 Golf with 13K, no issues. Would love to round out the herd with a TDI Passat but no money. If I had to change anything on either car, it would be to have one with the stick. I do wish I had the fogs on the JSW for the cornering thing, but am unwilling at this point to install them myself.

Welcome back to the fold.

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
Had defective 02 sensor replaced at appx 10k miles- no other issues. I live in a perfect place for icing, was expecting it based on info posted here, but have not had any issues with -
If you like VWs - these are great cars, fun to drive etc. etc.
If you just want reliable transportation, ummmm probably not the car to own.

Think the HPFP is over talked to death- I do hope that VW will stands up to the plate and offers all owners some sort of resolution. Time will tell.

I really enjoy driving the DSG - I will take it over 6M.

All my complaints are solely due to my personal preferences- not the car.

PhotoWrite

Veteran Member
snip... they had a real nice white Sportwagen.
What are the negatives now of a TDI? I've been away. snip...
VF
Wish I could get my wife to like white (her car), but I love the appearance/lines of the current JSW too, and it's our top choice to replace her 2000 Golf TDI in the next 12 months.

Thanks for posting this Q, it's nice to have a reality check (Pro & Con) from actual owners' current experiences.