I think I busted my intercooler

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
Two weeks my right front bumper had a very minor run in with a post. The only evidence was a small crack in the paint, which I repaired with touch up. Or at least I thought.

This morning I noticed a drip of oil on the garage floor at the front right corner of the car. I popped out the black colored grill in front of the intercooler and it looks like oil is leaking from the bottom. The plastic of the bumper is right up against the cooler; I think it must of punched a hole in it when I banged the bumper the other day.

Is this big $$$? How easy is it to get to this cooler? Can it be repaired with JB weld or something similar? I can do minor things like oil changes, battery changes, etc but don't really dig in with repairs. (More due to a lack of patience and laziness than a lack of mechanical aptitude.)

The car is a 2004 Jetta and is still under warranty. I was going to take it to the dealer until I realized that it was probably my fault.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
The bumpers are really easy to take off on your car. Removing that and the headlight gives you great access to the intercooler.

Part number is 1J0 145 803 F/G/T. Suffix letter is dependent on your build date. Price is $155 for a Valeo aftermarket unit at worldimpex.com.

k45

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
I was able to remove it without taken the bumper apart. it takes a little more time but not imposible. There are 2 allen head bolts at the top you have to have a socket wrench set up to get too. Then there is one at the bottom you have to get to from underneth. The tuff part is the hose clamps. They are super tight to get to, but ther eis a tool that makes this job nice.