I surrender!

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
With nothing from the CRC, and no expectation of getting anything, I'm just about at the point of sending in the acceptance of the eligible owner restitution offer (around $7500) and giving up on getting the buyback. Why? Because it has to be done, finished, complete by December 30.

To back up:

2014 JSW, insurance totaled after an accident in November 2016. Vehicle is still operable under the definition (engine runs--or it did--hasn't been started for a while), and the vehicle moves under it's own power. Salvage certificate is the only title document in hand. Got the restitution offer this spring, sent in a appeal, heard crickets since. More recently, heard from Lief Cabreser who recommended that if I wanted buyback I should have it rebuilt. Won't happen. No value to that.

So, plan is this weekend take the restitution offer to the notary, get it signed and sent it. i surrender. F'em.

PaulN

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
From the official settlement website claims portal...

Important Claim Deadlines

The 2.0L Settlement Program ends on December 30, 2018. Please read the below to understand important deadlines associated with participation in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Program and receipt of benefits. For more information, please click here.

September 1, 2018 – Claims Deadline: Deadline to complete a claim, including submitting required documents. You may submit your claim, including all required documents, online via the Online Claims Portal or through mail or fax using the Paper Claim Form or by calling 1-844-98-CLAIM. To avoid significant risk that your claim will be considered untimely, your claim must include all requested information and documents by September 1, 2018. To ensure that you have time to timely correct any document deficiencies, you should submit your documents by August 1, 2018.

The "click here" link above goes into more detail here.

I'm not sure if acceptance of the offer is what constitutes a completed claim or not... good luck.

Last edited:

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
From the official settlement website claims portal...

Important Claim Deadlines

The 2.0L Settlement Program ends on December 30, 2018. Please read the below to understand important deadlines associated with participation in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Program and receipt of benefits. For more information, please click here.

September 1, 2018 – Claims Deadline: Deadline to complete a claim, including submitting required documents. You may submit your claim, including all required documents, online via the Online Claims Portal or through mail or fax using the Paper Claim Form or by calling 1-844-98-CLAIM. To avoid significant risk that your claim will be considered untimely, your claim must include all requested information and documents by September 1, 2018. To ensure that you have time to timely correct any document deficiencies, you should submit your documents by August 1, 2018.

The "click here" link above goes into more detail here.

I'm not sure if acceptance of the offer is what constitutes a completed claim or not... good luck.
The offer has to be accepted by Dec 1...but the turn in has to happen by Dec 30...so if no appointments are available, then we're SOL.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Between the insurance pay out from the total and the restitution, won't that about add up to the buyback anyway? Oh course it would be nice to get more. Or is there a special situation here? I will admit I did not read back for the whole thread.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Not to go all into the long story, the accident occurred on Nov 25, 2016. At that time, VW claims hotline, AND the good folks at Lief Cabraser, AND the prevailing opinion on this forum was that if it was operable under the definition (engine runs, vehicle moves under it's own power), then if I could hold on to it, then I should, and it would be eligible. In order to keep it, I took a decreased settlement and applied for buyback. And then I got caught in the "no branded title" mess, and here we are.

The restitution will bring me up to about what the original insurance offer would have been--not even close to the full buyback amount. Now I'm concerned after the last email blast from VW about making sure you get everything taken care of so you can actually GET an appointment by December 30.

This vehicle does seem to fall in the "Group B" as mentioned in the February revision of the settlement: original owner, damaged but operable, and "may" qualify if all other requirements (what are they?) are met. It is not economically rebuildable here in PA--where it would have to meet 100% of the new vehicle safety requirements to be granted a rebuilt title--and with a sprung chassis and side airbags deployed, the cost would be prohibitive.

If I had known what was coming, I would have taken the insurance money and walked away. Based on what I know now--and was told then--in order to get eligible owner restitution you had to still possess the vehicle--so I was hosed either way.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So why are you waiting almost 2 years? sounds like you weren't driving the car every day so it was prob just parked.

Not to be blunt but zero sympathy for these double dippers claiming their "fair share". Best of luck.