I still suck at driving a manual transmission

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Driving a manual is a matter of competence, not stupidity or laziness. You either can do it, or you cannot. Some can do it better than others and some cannot do it at all.

No Big Deal.

Bill
I think you should reread all the threads posted here on this site. For some reason those who drive a manual trans think they know more about driving. the car. I have read that they are more mated to the car...........How ridicules it's only a car not a person. Grow up and move along. Nuf said! It is only a car.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
I think you should reread all the threads posted here on this site. For some reason those who drive a manual trans think they know more about driving. the car. I have read that they are more mated to the car...........How ridicules it's only a car not a person. Grow up and move along. Nuf said! It is only a car.
It's only a car, that is more fun to drive manual!:D

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

Those who CAN drive a manual ARE MORE SKILLED AT DRIVING A CAR than those who cannot drive a manual transmission.

Specifically, they can shift a manual transmission, which is a SKILL. That is all. It does not make them a 'better driver'.

If the lack of a certain skill makes you (anyone) feel inferior, that is a personal problem and can only be rectified by the person him(her)self. What others post has no bearing on it.

Bill

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I would love to take a lap in that car in the previous pic no manual fun and yeah you pay for what you get eh?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I took my driving test in a 64 Rambler with 3 on the tree.....that did not make me a more skilled driver. It was just a car not more fun........that was 40 years ago and the manual was obsolete at that time. My Dad bought it because it was cheap and he was tight.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
no one ever said anything of the sort in here...but there is no arguing that manual transmission requires way more skill then a auto. But i do still believe manuals are better, better mpg, cheaper to maintain and less complex.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
SKILL?...............my 80 year old mother can still drive a manual trans as that was all there was when she learned to drive.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Why is it that when ever it comes up on these forums we get a blast of manual transmissions are better and those who drive are smarter. Maybe I just like a car that shifts it's self and don't need another lecture about how smart the stick shift guys are and how stupid and lazy those who drive an autobox are. After all the DSG was designed for racing. Are all the current race car drivers stupid and lazy?
Two points to add to this discussion (arguement?):
1. My wife taught me how to drive a manual because she grew up driving all types of manuals on the farm. This gives me a driving skill that allows me to get behind the wheel of any car and drive. I have taught both daughters how to drive a manual and would love to be sending the youngest off to college with a manual so that very few people will ask to borrow her car. By being able to drive a manual, they can choose (assuming the option) which car to purchase and save money and fuel.

2. Last time I was in a NASCAR car, it still had three pedals. Of course the one in the middle is not used much. I assume that the NASCAR trucks are also manuals.

rms85702

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
that was 40 years ago and the manual was obsolete at that time.
I would say this statement is a matter of opinion. I'm not really brand Loyal when it comes to a truck, as long as it had a diesel under the hood, I didn't care. The first truck I ever bought was a Ford F250 with a non-turbo'd IDI 6.9L V8. The poor thing couldn't get out of its way, especially at nearly 7,000 feet of elevation in the mountains. Next was a Chevy, a Dodge, another Ford and finally another Dodge. What did the all have in common besides an oil burner? They ALL had manual transmissions. The Dodge was and is the last of its kind. Only the RAM is available with a diesel and a stick. And truly, its a FANTASTIC transmission. All of my trucks were used for work, not running the kids to soccer practice. They spent their entire career pulling heavy trailers of one kind or another ninety-nine percent of the time. If trailer wasn't hooked up, it was usually because the truck was in for service of some kind.

A manual gives the driver much more control over the vehicle whiles its in motion (in my opinion), this is why nearly all trucks (tractor trailer trucks) are sticks. Control, control, control. The stick isn't gone but it's definitely an endangered species for sure. I'm not saying an automatic is bad, its not. They use them in race cars and they do very well. If your in the market for say a new Ferrari with a stick, well, your out of luck. Your stuck with a automated manual. Dose that make it any less of a badass car? Hell no. I personally wouldn't want to take my hands off the wheel at 200MPH anyway.

I personally prefer a manual in my vehicles. I've been stuck with an auto in the past because that's all that was offered from the factory, and well, with out spending gobs of money to stick a manual in there it just wasn't going to happen. However, there can be something said about the percentages of autos verses manuals sold in America as opposed to other counties. I'm not saying Americans are lazy per-say but its a fact most cars sold here are equipped with an auto. I don't know if its because of laziness or just the lack of options, even though the same auto makers offer the same vehicle as an export with a manual. Could it be that a lot of other places don't allow younger people to drive until they are in the late teens when, wouldn't you know it, they hopefully have common sense and can think things out better?

I'm going to wrap up here I promise, as I said, I prefer a manual, but I can live with an auto if I didn't have a choice. Lets assume both autos and manuals are completely equal as far as the cost in the new car, mileage, and maintenance over the entire life of the car. The only advantage I can see to owning a manual is A) If I had to, I can push start the car. B) I'm hoping if my vehicle were ever broken into to be stolen, the thief with his questionable level of intellect wouldn't know how to drive it thus sending him down the road to Joe's riced out Jap scrap.

So the OP can't get the hang of a stick. My niece can't find the beat to Twinkle Twinkle little Star, and shes ten. (eyes roll) Will she be able to drive a stick? Probably not. I cringe when I think of her driving anything really. Going to have to buy her a tank. Life sucks, move on.

Last edited:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Back on topic... To the OP, are you doing any better these days with your manual transmission? One word of advice, don't drive with flip-flops on! Hope it's getting better.

rms85702

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
^ What he said. I'm telling you, try taking your shoes off. Its how I've thought my wife how to drive stick as well as others. Sounds crazy but you can fell the clutch engaging easier with your foot with out shoes.

Cgiroux

TDI
none
Back on topic... To the OP, are you doing any better these days with your manual transmission? One word of advice, don't drive with flip-flops on! Hope it's getting better.
Yes - time for an update.

I eliminated the jerking that I was experiencing when upshifting. I realized it today that it was due to me not giving it enough gas early enough. Shifted from 2nd to 3rd today as if it was unnoticeable. Felt great :)

It rained the last few days and my feet (and my clutch pedal) were a bit wet. Kind of annoyed me. No way I am driving in flip flops, even in an automatic. Barefoot sounds even better, but since I'll be driving with my shoes on most of the time I might as well learn with shoes..maybe I'll give it a try.

My only concern with driving right now is just slower maneuvers, sharper turns, etc. I've never driven in any serious bumper-to-bumper traffic yet. I still need to get better at getting into first gear I admit.

What worries me more than anything right now is hills. I don't have much experience with them. I've been uphill maybe a couple times now and stalled each time. I never used the parking brake, I'm not sure if it is going to be easier with it. I need to find a place to practice on hills.

Also, reversing when on a slight downhill. This instance happend where I am on a crowned road. I wanted to turn around, so I go into some random guy's driveway and then put it into reverse, but I stall out a couple times because I get stuck in the apex/cavity of the crowned road (this is where it becomes an uphill battle) Maybe I am relying on the clutch too much in that situation, but it seems difficult not to slip the plates. I think I should have just moved further up and given it more gas while I was downhill.

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Again as many have said about taking off in first .... When I reverse I dont use any throttle at all , just let it out and let if pull you...it will...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Again as many have said about taking off in first .... When I reverse I dont use any throttle at all , just let it out and let if pull you...it will...
The low speed rolling forward & backward has been really hard for many that I have taught to get that first learned to drive with the inherent slippage in automatics. A pulse of energy through the trans by the letting out of the clutch for a short time to get rolling then using the momentum to finish the maneuver. Automatic only drivers (pedal pushers) were taught not to control things this much, in their mind it should be put it in gear then make the maneuver while staying in gear. Doing this with a pulse of energy was a really hard concept for many I have taught to get.

I saw this so learned to stress this part of it when I was teaching to push to overcome their previous pedal pushing teaching related to using the slippage in a automatic.

I am not saying this to get attacked again but this is a fact! In my experience every person I have ever taught to row their own gears who were pedal pushers were missing a situational awareness that is required to drive a manual. You must learn to pay attention to traffic, terrain, and speeds to make sure you are in the correct gear for the given situation you are faced with. The you must learn to coast in N which is a big part of driving every automatic only driver I have ever met is missing. To drive a manual successfully you will spend on average about 1/3rd of the time coasting in N. All of this is something that also must be taught along side the mechanics of rowing their own gears. You cannot learn to do one without learning the other to ever be successful in either.......

pitviper33

TDI
GSW
........that was 40 years ago and the manual was obsolete at that time.
Obsolete? Sure! As long as you aren't concerned with dependability, durability, repairability, efficiency, control, response, manufacturing cost, mass, longevity, or maintenance costs. Wait, it just occurred to me that maybe you don't know what "obsolete" means. The traditional countershaft transmission is still better than an automatic at everything except for shift speed.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
I know this'll start another "discussion" with polarised views, but to the OP if you're worried about hill-starts, use the handbrake. You've all the time in the world then to find thee biting point before moving off.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I know this'll start another "discussion" with polarised views, but to the OP if you're worried about hill-starts, use the handbrake. You've all the time in the world then to find thee biting point before moving off.
Nothing controversial there... I still do that whenever I feel the need. As far as the manual being obsolete... I mean really? Obviously we're deep into the some regime here other than fact.

travist185

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon TDI
Why does everyone think the hand brake makes it easier to start on hills? You already have your right foot on the foot brake... Take your time, find the engagement point of the clutch with your foot still on the brake to avoid roll back. Once you are at the engagement point of the clutch hold what you have and release the brake. The car should not roll back. Now you can move your right foot to the go pedal and add some gas as you release the rest of the clutch simultaneously.

Adding in the handbrake only complicates things. Keep your two hands on the wheel where they belong and continue to practice using your feet to get the car moving.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
If you find the use of the hand brake too complicated, don't do it... It's just another tool at your disposal.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
With the hill hold feature on the newer cars, the use of the hand brake is really not necessary. Although, the balance between the hill hold feature and releasing the clutch makes the situation slightly different and that might be part of the OP issues.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
The low speed rolling forward & backward has been really hard for many that I have taught to get that first learned to drive with the inherent slippage in automatics. A pulse of energy through the trans by the letting out of the clutch for a short time to get rolling then using the momentum to finish the maneuver. Automatic only drivers (pedal pushers) were taught not to control things this much, in their mind it should be put it in gear then make the maneuver while staying in gear. Doing this with a pulse of energy was a really hard concept for many I have taught to get.

I saw this so learned to stress this part of it when I was teaching to push to overcome their previous pedal pushing teaching related to using the slippage in a automatic.

I am not saying this to get attacked again but this is a fact! In my experience every person I have ever taught to row their own gears who were pedal pushers were missing a situational awareness that is required to drive a manual. You must learn to pay attention to traffic, terrain, and speeds to make sure you are in the correct gear for the given situation you are faced with. The you must learn to coast in N which is a big part of driving every automatic only driver I have ever met is missing. To drive a manual successfully you will spend on average about 1/3rd of the time coasting in N. All of this is something that also must be taught along side the mechanics of rowing their own gears. You cannot learn to do one without learning the other to ever be successful in either.......

Do you REALLY spend 1/3 of your time in neutral ? I'd like to know where and how you drive, since I spend about zero time in neutral except at a stop light.

jay_fyp

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT 2004 Jetta TDI (PD) 5mt R.I.P - 2013 Golf TDI 6mt - 2004 Golf TDI (PD) 5MT
With the hill hold feature on the newer cars, the use of the hand brake is really not necessary. Although, the balance between the hill hold feature and releasing the clutch makes the situation slightly different and that might be part of the OP issues.
I absoultely hate the brake assist feature, it tends to make you ride the clutch if you already know how to take off on hills. It's a good learning feature I suppose but cmon, do we really need that? I usually let it release first and the second it does I'm off like normal. Can VCDS take brake assist off? Never looked into it.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I was going to say, I've never experienced the brake assist feature but it doesn't sound like something I'd want to. It's just another effort to protect you from you... something there's entirely too much of already, IMO.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Do you REALLY spend 1/3 of your time in neutral ? I'd like to know where and how you drive, since I spend about zero time in neutral except at a stop light.
I caught that gem to.:rolleyes:

Anyone coasting that much is certainly DIW. The poster's brakes probably only last 20K miles and plus coasting in nuetral is DANGEROUS as well as ilegal.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Just read about this brake assist today on a review of the 2013 Mustang GT with six speed.