I slept last night

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
May not seem like a big deal to most people but it is to me.

After 28 years on grave shift I now work day shift. 27+ years seniority with my company finally means something. I might have to change my screen name now. jetlag was my constant state of being for the last 3 decades.

Good news.... maybe there won't be so many hard to understand posts from me now. posting between jobs at 3 in the morning. things seem to make sense when I write it, but the next day when I re-read it's a little convoluted

Sorry probably not relevant on this forum but I just have to yell it from the mountain tops.

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Great News!

I am happy for you, I work nights on rare occasions and wonder how people deal with it every night.

Ike T

TDI
2003 Jetta
Congrats. The day I no longer am required to work at night will be a happy one as well.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Welcome back to a "normal" schedule. I gather that you worked out the scheduling details with your wife. This will make it easier for us to get together in the future. I guess the job transfer to Las Vegas worked out for you the way you had hoped. Good Job!

Have Fun!

Don

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Oh yes working grave shift has its advantages. banks, Dr appts, kids school activities, all available on my time off. But I am finding I am less able to use those advantages as I get older. Getting off work and going to family or friends gatherings and BBQ all day them back to work that night .....just cant do it like I used to.

27 yrs seniority I am bottom man. If there is a cutback I'm first to go back. I'm doing my part bringing in donuts and pie and stuff to plug up these old guys artery's

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
As an official "old guy", I'd appreciate the goodies, but when I croaked you'd be REQUIRED to attend the funeral in suit and tie no less! :D

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Congrats on the change to the day shift. I've worked rotating shifts for the last 40 years. On a 12 hour night shift as I type. Worked in generating stations in Canada, USA, Austraila, Ireland, UK, China. Everyone needs power. I've often thought if I were on permanent nights it might be better. Just 2 years 6 months and retirement for me. :D

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Good for you. I worked some years on graves and it really dragged me down. Especially when the kids were small. I couldn't have done it for 30 yrs!

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Well it was great while it lasted. But......... back to grave shift next month. I am bottom man and someone with more seniority is bumping me. Guess I will look to the good side. I get a whopping $.59 per hour shift differential pay. I can take the whole family out to McDonalds and a movie every month.

The work on grave shift is more interesting but sleeping has been nice.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
My father was a production engineer at the Bethlehem Steel mill at Sparrow's Point. The mill operated 24/7/365. He worked three rotating shifts: 5 days at 7 AM - 3 PM, 2 days off then 5 days at 3 PM - 11 PM, 2 days off then 5 days at 11 PM - 7 AM, and on and on… His days off occasionally came on a weekend so we could actually spend some time with him. When he retired after 40 years, mom said that it took him a month to get used to sleeping all night.

JeffDes4

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
WOW and I thought I had it rough being on the late shift for 2 years. Total respect for you handling it so well for so long. What I remember about the late shift most was the late night quick drive thru to Taco Bell, drained, had no desire to cook, just wanting a quick meal.

Well it was great while it lasted. But......... back to grave shift next month. I am bottom man and someone with more seniority is bumping me. Guess I will look to the good side. I get a whopping $.59 per hour shift differential pay. I can take the whole family out to McDonalds and a movie every month.

The work on grave shift is more interesting but sleeping has been nice.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
My father was a production engineer at the Bethlehem Steel mill at Sparrow's Point. The mill operated 24/7/365. He worked three rotating shifts: 5 days at 7 AM - 3 PM, 2 days off then 5 days at 3 PM - 11 PM, 2 days off then 5 days at 11 PM - 7 AM, and on and on… His days off occasionally came on a weekend so we could actually spend some time with him. When he retired after 40 years, mom said that it took him a month to get used to sleeping all night.
Well, at least there was that extra day off every 4 years! :D

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Congrats. My endless travel seems to make me lose some nights as well as days...
cant imagine most of your career working all night. might find that some things that would not come up at night will during the day...like more bosses...lol