I should have known better. The dealer strikes again.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
So I noticed a certain wiring harness was starting to fray on my 13 Passat (common problem) and since I was close to my 30k service, I thought I would just drop it off so they could take care of both. I normally do my own oil changes and have since new on this vehicle but I was also getting a 'faulty Nox sensor' code thru VCDS.

I dropped it off last night and picked it up after hours today.

They called me earlier and said they rerouted the harness but their computer wasn't showing an error code for the Nox sensor. What a shock. :rolleyes:

When I got the car home, I checked the oil and it was nearly a liter over filled.

If the moron tech who worked on my car couldn't even get the 'amount' of oil right after doing this job every single day, what do you think the odds are that he used the 'correct' oil? Pretty slim I think.

I used the Pela and extracted the extra oil but I think to be safe I'll just pull the rest out and refill from my Mobil1 ESP stash.

I should have known better than to let a dealer do my oil change.

Does VW even train their technicians? :mad:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
So I noticed a certain wiring harness was starting to fray on my 13 Passat (common problem) and since I was close to my 30k service, I thought I would just drop it off so they could take care of both. I normally do my own oil changes and have since new on this vehicle but I was also getting a 'faulty Nox sensor' code thru VCDS.

I dropped it off last night and picked it up after hours today.

They called me earlier and said they rerouted the harness but their computer wasn't showing an error code for the Nox sensor. What a shock. :rolleyes:

When I got the car home, I checked the oil and it was nearly a liter over filled.

If the moron tech who worked on my car couldn't even get the 'amount' of oil right after doing this job every single day, what do you think the odds are that he used the 'correct' oil? Pretty slim I think.

I used the Pela and extracted the extra oil but I think to be safe I'll just pull the rest out and refill from my Mobil1 ESP stash.

I should have known better than to let a dealer do my oil change.

Does VW even train their technicians? :mad:
So did you talk to them about it? No 4 banger TDI holds 5.5 liters of oil. They really need to discipline the oil change tech. Maybe that would keep this from happening to somebody else in the future.

Bug Smasher

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
This sort of stuff never ceases to amaze me. How does one achieve this? Do they just pour the oil from a big jug while counting "one thousand and one, one thousand and two, one thousand and three..."?

Joeym4692

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I wont go to the dealer for my VW after the incident my moms car had.

She took it in for the free oil change service she was offered for buying a 2011 TDI and when they lifted the car they crushed the rocker panels.

Afterwards they "attempted" to fix it. It was no where near straight and they had white paint on the mudflaps and inside the wheel well somehow!

Thats why I'm doing my own service on my car

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
What harness is this? I haven't heard of it...
This one that shows the wire bundle where it chafes against the side of the airbox: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383530

Then there is this more recent discovery that I posted when forced to replace my turbo exhaust hose that shows where the vacuum line to the brake booster is rubbing against the master cylinder reservoir. This resulted in an abrasion about 1/2 way through the tubing. After looking at the pics in the above thread, you can see the vacuum line. On some cars it runs straight back. On others, it is slightly twisted, which would make the line more prone to rub and wear. See here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4360061&postcount=72

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
What is behind such draconian cutting-corners efforts by most dealers in the USA only God knows (though there are some clues), but I think that VW should get serious about certifying and recertifying dealer techs.

If dealers can't take good care of VW cars, then VW should just open up regional tech centers to service their car warranties.

In fact, better than spend money in opening up shops all over the country, I think that perhaps VW should invest some money in PEP-BOYS or similar car repair chains, and bypass the dealer altogether, by certifying the chains for official warranty work (why reinvent the wheel?).

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
This one that shows the wire bundle where it chafes against the side of the airbox: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383530
Then there is this more recent discovery that I posted when forced to replace my turbo exhaust hose that shows where the vacuum line to the brake booster is rubbing against the master cylinder reservoir. This resulted in an abrasion about 1/2 way through the tubing. After looking at the pics in the above thread, you can see the vacuum line. On some cars it runs straight back. On others, it is slightly twisted, which would make the line more prone to rub and wear. See here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4360061&postcount=72
Thank you! I will have to check these out on mine.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Well I called the dealership this morning and explained how I had to extract almost a liter of extra oil out of my engine. I'm not sure what I hoped to accomplish by this because the conversation went about as well as I figured it would.

The service manager claimed he had one of his master techs working on the car and he trusts that this particular person couldn't possibly have made such a mistake.

It may have been true about the 'master' tech working on my car to reroute the wire harness and investigate the Nox sensor but I'm sure the 30k service got handed off to a junior tech.

Like I said, I'm not sure what I expected to accomplish. These guys will NEVER admit fault.

Lesson learned I guess. Just never go back. Hopefully I won't need to go for any more warranty work.

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
I wont go to the dealer for my VW after the incident my moms car had.

She took it in for the free oil change service she was offered for buying a 2011 TDI and when they lifted the car they crushed the rocker panels.

Afterwards they "attempted" to fix it. It was no where near straight and they had white paint on the mudflaps and inside the wheel well somehow!

Thats why I'm doing my own service on my car
Stuff like this is why I service every thing I own, for everything that I have the ability to do (whether it be limited by skill or costly equipment). That pretty much leaves tire mounting or major engine, transmission or suspension work, though one day, I'd like to be able to do those myself too.

fede179070

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
I feel your pain, I've had some pretty poor warranty work performed by the local Flagstaff VW dealer
The company image suffers greatly from incidents like this.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
the key is to ditch the new car (if wife/etc permits) for something a lot more fun like an mk1-mk3 hopped up and bare-bones :D i'm not goin back. i hate seeing these stories over and over... and over... and over again.. when it should really be so simple (it is for me)

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
I'm sooo happy to have a PERFECT Guru Shop here. A VW Dealer will only see me, when I pick a new car up. And THEY want to be soon the #1 Manufacturer ??? Can't see that at this time with shops like that !

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Well I called the dealership this morning and explained how I had to extract almost a liter of extra oil out of my engine. I'm not sure what I hoped to accomplish by this because the conversation went about as well as I figured it would.

The service manager claimed he had one of his master techs working on the car and he trusts that this particular person couldn't possibly have made such a mistake.

It may have been true about the 'master' tech working on my car to reroute the wire harness and investigate the Nox sensor but I'm sure the 30k service got handed off to a junior tech.

Like I said, I'm not sure what I expected to accomplish. These guys will NEVER admit fault.

Lesson learned I guess. Just never go back. Hopefully I won't need to go for any more warranty work.
Did you re-measure the oil level after you extracted the liter of oil?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...uhh...I think I can take a stab at answering for detroitmike.
He looked at the dipstick. It was overfilled. (duh!)
He removed enough oil to return the level to "full". (Yes, I assume he re-measured the oil level...another duh...)
He measured what he extracted, and it came to "almost a liter." (yet another "duh"...):D:D:D:D
This isn't brain surgery, folks.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
...uhh...I think I can take a stab at answering for detroitmike.
He looked at the dipstick. It was overfilled. (duh!)
He removed enough oil to return the level to "full". (Yes, I assume he re-measured the oil level...another duh...)
He measured what he extracted, and it came to "almost a liter." (yet another "duh"...):D:D:D:D
This isn't brain surgery, folks.
You are not detroitmike (duh)

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Yeah, It was after hours when i got the car home or I would have checked the oil level before leaving.

the oil level was above the hash marks on the dipstick. I had no way of knowing how much it was overfilled until i pulled enough out with my pela to get it to the top of the hash marks.

then i transferred the oil to an empty bottle and measured about 0.8 liters.

my guess is whoever did the oil change, got 5 liters from the parts counter and just dumped all 5 in.

our cars take about 4.2 -4.3 liters if drained fully.

I got another call back from the dealer yesterday. I didn't even bother to pick up the phone. What would be the point? I drained and refilled with Mobil. I'm pretty sure they changed the filter judging by the about of oil all over the cloth wrapped hose in front of the filter housing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
AT 6,500 miles now, going in for first oil change in another 3000 miles. Let's see how this dealer handles (Platinum VW in NY/Hicksville) this simple task.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Hit 10k yesterday.. told service people I wouldn't let them touch my car and asked if they would provide the supplies. Got a blank stare. Ordered the 'kit' from idparts and doing it this weekend. I plan to run the 5w30 through the winter and switch to the 5w40 ESP (mercedes diesel rated) for the summer. I may hit up the service manager to see if he is willing to cough up the supplies in order to bill VW for the service (schedule service, car goes in shop, supplies go in trunk).

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Hit 10k yesterday.. told service people I wouldn't let them touch my car and asked if they would provide the supplies. Got a blank stare. Ordered the 'kit' from idparts and doing it this weekend. I plan to run the 5w30 through the winter and switch to the 5w40 ESP (mercedes diesel rated) for the summer. I may hit up the service manager to see if he is willing to cough up the supplies in order to bill VW for the service (schedule service, car goes in shop, supplies go in trunk).
Not hating on your method, whatever makes you feel comfortable, but on the flip side, this might be a liability for the dealer to do this. If they gave you the supplies and "signed off" that the maintenance was done when they never touched the car and in 12,000 miles you show up with a warranty claim, they would have more "teeth" to hit you with especially if it's a large claim. I knew a lot of service managers on the import side and they were always concerned about covering their ass against things like these.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Hit 10k yesterday.. told service people I wouldn't let them touch my car and asked if they would provide the supplies. Got a blank stare.
Dude, I would have given you a blank stare if you asked me that question.

I may hit up the service manager to see if he is willing to cough up the supplies in order to bill VW for the service (schedule service, car goes in shop, supplies go in trunk).
Will NEVER happen.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Don't ask service. Go to parts with your VIN, tell them you want to change your own oil and filters, and ask nice if they'll give you the filter(s) and fluids. Mine did, but we spend a lot of money there so I may have gotten unusual treatment. It's worth a try.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Don't ask service. Go to parts with your VIN, tell them you want to change your own oil and filters, and ask nice if they'll give you the filter(s) and fluids. Mine did, but we spend a lot of money there so I may have gotten unusual treatment. It's worth a try.
Ouch, let me get this straight: you spend a lot of cash in a VW dealer, and you still don't trust their service department?

What's wrong with this picture :confused:???

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I honestly have no data on my dealer's service department, good or bad. But after my past experience with all car dealers, including VW, I prefer not to have any car dealer serviced.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Great idea... I know others on these forums have been able to do it. My brother used to do it with his Ford - no questions asked.