I performed a partial 'mark-n-pray' timing belt job- let the flaming begin

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
daughter's ALH. Paramedick had replaced the IP a short time ago, so I knew the timing was fine. I don't have VCDS. :eek:
When I was ready to put the belt on, I marked the IP bolt head locations on the pulley before loosening the three bolts. After tensioning was set I moved the IP until the heads matched up to the marks made previously. Starts and runs fine. Next time she takes it in to Bruce she can ask him to check the timing. I'm confident it is 'close enough'.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LOL- If anyone wants to critique it hopefully they can explain what will go wrong with using this method. This car never had its injection timing adjusted until Bruce replaced the IP at around 330k mi- TBs were done @ 60, 150, 250 k mi. Timing was checked at 60 & 150 k mi with VCDS. Its averaged mid to upper 40's mpg throughout its lifetime.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The ip timing is not as concerning, if it runs, it's probably ok.

I would be concerned with the cam to crank timing. You get that wrong, and pistons and valves do the horizontal mambo without talking to each other in the morning.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I would be concerned with the cam to crank timing. You get that wrong, and pistons and valves do the horizontal mambo without talking to each other in the morning.
No worries on cam and crank relationship- lockdown tools were used. ;)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
why didn't you just pin the pump? I just don't understand...
I used to do it that way, but always had problems maintaining the correct belt orientation between the crank and the IP. The IP always seemed to never line up precisely with the belt teeth. Someone pointed out that if you allow the bolts to use their oblong holes, then it is much easier to keep the belt taut between the crank and IP while you're getting the cam sprocket onto the end of the camshaft. It was indeed much easier.
What's your method for keeping the belt taut between the IP and crank pulley?

By the way, as per Murphy's Law, I needed that mount I sold you on the very next TB job.
Thanks again for making it available to me. I hope you were able to come up with another mount for your customer.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock

This is true however you'd have to be extremely far off for there to be any chance of this happening. So far off that the car wouldn't have run at all.