I.P. seal replacement in Berkeley? Moooo...

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Say, has anyone local replaced their injection pump seals, who would be willing to come over and watch when I do mine? I need to do this before a long road trip in March, so any weekend in February would work, I'm looking for a kindred spirit who might be willing to share insights, and follow along as I put the new Viton seals in place.

South Berkeley, near Alta Bates hospital. Thanks, Andrew.

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
You've done your nozzles yourself haven't you? If so, the IP seal is no big deal.

Did you get your IP seal kit from dieselgeek? His instructions are pretty straight forward. No need to feel worried. Couple things to add (stress) in regards to dieselgeek's installation instructions:

1) Order a new oil dipstick tube. You'll be in and around that area and you don't want to have a broken dipstick tube without a replacement. I broke mine while changing the seal and was fortunate to have another tube on the shelf.
2) A fishing hook is great for retrieving the old seal. Dieselgeek suggests a mechanics pick, but I don't have one. The fishing hook is great because it'll grab the seal and hold on to it well.
3) The supplied tool was of no help to me. I talked to Dieselgeek during my install specifically about the tool. It's a flat threaded bolt and was designed this way so that it will not cut your new seal. My problem was that these flat threads would not screw into my pump head. I didn't want to force it for fear of stripping the pump head. I instead used the existing bolts, but only backed them out far enough to gain access to the seal...the fishing hook and paperclip are essential during this step.
3) As always, a tool to pull vacuum is great for priming the pump once the job is done. Be sure to have a can of diesel (or other fuel substitute) as the empty pump will suck the filter dry. I was pulling vacuum for minutes before I realized that I have to keep topping up the fuel filter.

Start to finsh was about 1.5 hours (2 hours max)...and about 15 trips back into the garage for tools. A second set of hands (just to hold the seal with the paperclip while backing out the bolt) was need for all of 2 minutes.

P.S. VERY good thinking to change your IP seal before a long trip. After using B99 for 10,000 miles, it was only my second or so tank of regular D2 before my car would not start at all. I hope these viton seals can tolerate the switching between D2 and B99???

Last edited:

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
THANK YOU for the advice and words of encouragement. I have tools, and suction, and a nice place to work (quiet street). I'll put word of a date up here, in case anyone wants to come by and watch, or just help me drink some Racer 5 IPA. :p

- Andrew

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
unjester said:
If you pick a weekend when I'm around, I want to come watch/help. I'm going to need to do mine someday.
Aren't you long overdue for a seal change? From my last look at your engine bay, it looked like you needed the works (upper and middle seal too) ;). I haven't done those ones yet though.

Really Isaac, with all the stuff you get into, the IP head seal is a piece of cake.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
If you want you guys can come hang out at my place on a Sunday and then we can light the BBQ and have a few beers as well!

unjester

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Yeah I thought I was overdue too, but Justin & Rich looked at my IP and said it isn't leaking one bit. That crap all over my enginebay was goo from a misguided detailer. Sigh. I'm still leaking something but I can't figure out what - I feels like engine oil and it doesn't smell like biodiesel.

I'm guessing the only reason my IP seals are still intact is because I've never run anything except B100 (bummer on the cost, but I've been too afraid of IP seal failure or other issues). Even so, I'd like to swap mine. Justin said it isn't something you should do as preventative maintenance, but I'm not sure why not.

Andrew - I'm down for hanging out. I have a shortshifter I still need to put in. :)

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
I would do the whole pump .. Call Rod at DFIS tell him you know me and he'll send you a completly gone through 977 . Have poop R & R the thing at the gtg in March . Just hate to see ya re-seal the pump then something else crap's out later .. Rich !

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
yes pm justin for a quote on labor for R & R pump versus R & R seal . Plus I can arrange for a pump to be sent down with Poop .. Just tryin to get you in the right direction .. Call the shop if you have anymore questions .. Rich ..

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
I recently checked the price for a pump at Walnut Creek VW. Price is competitive at one thousand!

If you are going to do this I'd like to watch.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
jetdiknight said:
bump...did this happen ?

if it is on a Sunday, I would like to come over too. I can bring some food and suds.
Hasn't happened yet, I've been dealing with layoffs at work. Which puts a damper on just about everything... but I need to do this. Let me confirm I have the seals on hand (in the basement, somewhere...) and come back with a date. The 22nd could potentially work.

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
MyBlack94GST said:
Enrich their minds!
Trust me, my six y.o. alone is a handful. Add in her older brother and sister and attempting to do anything productive is, shall we say, challenging.

Needless to say, I do enrich their minds on a regular basis. However, I prefer to give them my attention and avoid having them suffer through things they probably will not enjoy.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Hey Andrew ..

have you done this job yet?

I'd really like to come watch and learn...

Pls let me know when you get set on doing it...

tnx

P

B100 said:
Hasn't happened yet, I've been dealing with layoffs at work. Which puts a damper on just about everything... but I need to do this. Let me confirm I have the seals on hand (in the basement, somewhere...) and come back with a date. The 22nd could potentially work.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Please don't replace a fuel pump simply because it is leaking. (I have to make sure and say this in every thread where someone suggests otherwise).

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
My B4 is suddenly leaking fuel so I'm going to tackle mine soon as well, possibly this weekend though I'm not sure I will have time.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
If you don't mind some company... pls let me know when. I would love to watch and learn something about these pumps.

danix said:
My B4 is suddenly leaking fuel so I'm going to tackle mine soon as well, possibly this weekend though I'm not sure I will have time.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Got delayed after a week-long cold that knocked me for a loop. I'm almost done with the main seal, taking my time, and going from there. I'll share what I've learned at a GTG sometime.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
Car is done. The IQ is still a little off, but I can definitely coach someone to do this in the future. Mityvac is a must to get the car restarted.

NFSTDI

TDI
'98 Jetta
OK, so I'm going to be brave and learn to do this. I'd like to speak to anyone and everyone who has done it. Please PM me if you have done this successfully. TIA -Tom