i need advice

Tristan210403

TDI
Mk4 jetta tdi
so my car is completely stock so far other than a 2.5 inch stainless steel straightpipe from the turbo back from kermatdi and ive been looking to make it quicker and more fun to drive while also more reliable so maybe 130-150 hp, i was wondering what some good steps would be to start building the car? also i’ve been watching youtube videos on popcorn tunes, i really like the sound but are they healthy for the engine?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Go with turbo, nozzles, tune, and clutch, in that order. You can slap a Vnt17 on there and your ecm will still treat it like a stock tubro until its tuned. You'll probably be happy with some 0.216 nozzles. Any bigger and your fuel economy will start to go down more.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
From stock a Stage 3 tune will make a huge difference and not kill your fuel economy, if you drive moderately your FE will likely increase. A Stage 3 tune only needs nozzles and a ECM flash. I agree with Nero Morg regarding .216 nozzles. Buy the .216 nozzles first, have the Stage 3 tune written for the .216's. That way if you want to upgrade your power to Stage 4 later, you don't have to buy nozzles again. I have .216's and a 24 PSi tune, and I have plenty of fuel.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've seen Rocketchip Stage 3 dyno at 125/225 at the wheels with a tune only, no other mods. I have this setup on my Golf. Significantly more power than stock, FE is as good or better than stock, and it puts no undue stress on any mechanical components, including the clutch. By far it's the best HP per dollar mod you can make.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I've seen Rocketchip Stage 3 dyno at 125/225 at the wheels with a tune only, no other mods. I have this setup on my Golf. Significantly more power than stock, FE is as good or better than stock, and it puts no undue stress on any mechanical components, including the clutch. By far it's the best HP per dollar mod you can make.
We have the same tune on Donna's car, runs nice and crisp. Power to climb on the highway even with short ramps. Passing is no problem, summer economy steady between 50-52mpg since it was tuned 4 years and over 100k miles ago.

Tristan210403

TDI
Mk4 jetta tdi
Go with turbo, nozzles, tune, and clutch, in that order. You can slap a Vnt17 on there and your ecm will still treat it like a stock tubro until its tuned. You'll probably be happy with some 0.216 nozzles. Any bigger and your fuel economy will start to go down more.
would my clutch be okay to put all of the additional power down? it’s still the original clutch

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It may start slipping after a stage 2 tune. I put a literal brand new stock single mass flywheel kit in my car, a month later did a stage 2 tune, and it started slipping on high torque demands.

Tristan210403

TDI
Mk4 jetta tdi
It may start slipping after a stage 2 tune. I put a literal brand new stock single mass flywheel kit in my car, a month later did a stage 2 tune, and it started slipping on high torque demands.
i’m just worried about it because it’s never been replaced too and i have about 214k miles on it it hasn’t started slipping at all it still feels great but i’m worried if i start putting more power on it it may go

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's a good chance it will. I'd plan on replacing it with at least a South bend stage 2 daily, it'll take the power of a stage 4 tune and the pedal pressure is like-OEM.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a good order to do things. Plan on doing the tune almost directly after doing the nozzles. Just make sure the rest of your car is up to snuff too, breaks, suspension, timing belt, ect.

Make sure you research that those options are what you want to go with. Once you have the Vnt17 tuned in, you'll have to change the MAP sensor to a 3bar as well.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Depends how you drive. We often would, somehow, have people who would popup in the Forestry dept untrained on chipper operation. They would do a rapid engagement on that Dual Mass clutch and shake it right apart. Sometimes we would have brand new ones come in after replacement hammered apart. They like to be engaged with finesse.
Sustained speeds over 90mph are not kind to old DMF's either.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I did almost this exact thing. Put in a SMF and new stock clutch, and then a year later added just about everything else. Stage 3, bigger nozzles, 11mm pump, 2.5 turbo back, The clutch is still in there, but has to be babied. I have the IQ turned way down and don't floor it. Otherwise it just smokes the clutch, especially at low rpm and higher speeds. Heavy torque situations. New Stage II daily is on my wishlist, but going to wait till the madness passes.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am set up like yours with a vr6 setup from Idparts, clutch has always held great

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My 2001 Jetta had an 18 PSI, Stage 3 tune, and the factory clutch never complained. At 150k the starter ate the ring gear, so I swapped it out with a SB Daily Driver 2. Easy pedal pressure and no slipping with a 24 PSI Stage 4 tune.