I hit a deer.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Thursday I was traveling along a local road and a deer ran directly in front of me. I was moving about 55-60 at the moment of impact.

My poor car, I was able to drive it home about 6 miles even though the radiator spilled it’s contents all over the road. Here are the results

I am expecting the insurance adjuster today or tomorrow. After checking Kelly blue book I’m not very hopeful. KBB says my car is worth about $1000 on the high end. 488k miles but otherwise in good shape. I do have in my stash of parts just about everything to fix this including a radiator, radiator support, hood, headlight etc. I am lacking a fender and a mirror. We’ll see how things go.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Welcome to the club. :(

Yeah, they'll total it... you'll have to buy it back and fix it yourself. Surprised you carry that kind of insurance on a car with that little value. But I guess you'll get some of it back now.

My 2000 Golf has been rear ended and totaled twice, but it was someone else's insurance money that I got. :D

A deer took my '87 B2000 pickup off the road, after an admirable 404k miles of reliable use. I tried to fix it, and got it most of the way there, but ended up tooefing the engine and gave up on it (wish I hadn't... miss that little truck).

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Thanks Brian, I guess I just never have adjusted my coverage from when it was a new to me car. So I have full coverage although comprehensive which covers deer hits is relatively low cost. I should probably change that.

oilhammer

TDI
I always feel like insurance companies should be required to disclose the "total loss" payout on a car if the situation should arise at each policy renewal. That way, you could look at it and do some quick math and decide for yourself if the extra cost is worth it, or would you be better served to just take that difference and shove it in the bank. I do not carry any full coverage on anything that I could afford to replace myself, which means all my cars aside from the wife's new (now technically one year old) Mini. I'll take the risk and bank the difference. It also is worth noting I have a bunch of [cheap, low value] cars that are insured with the legally required minimum liability insurance. But, I don't crash, I don't go to areas where theft would be an issue, nor do I own vehicles that would likely be high theft targets anyway. I do, however, frequently drive in areas where deer are present. Amazingly, I've only ever hit one. My dad has hit one, my mom has hit one (in a schoolbus!), and one of my brothers has hit one.

We get cars in here that people crash, have full coverage, then are shocked how little their car is actually worth if they try and make a claim. And what's kinda worse is, in some cases if you make a claim, or even call asking about it, your rate can go up. I'm fortunate to have a relative in the insurance business, they have a lot of tricks. Insurance companies are for sure a FOR PROFIT organization. The less you pay to them, the better off you'll be.

DizelDvica

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta
Tdijarhead,
I have been in the same situation, one advice is, do not go by KBB on vehicle like this. It does not work.
Spend some time on internet and find viable comps, mileage is less important here than actual condition. You'll find quick that you CAN'T replace this car for what KBB is saying it is worth.
In my situation, my insurance just went based on mileage/Year and pulled comps of rusty old 2006 Jetta's 2.5 gas cars. It took few days of back and fourth but I got them TDI comps that were 2-4x higher value that those of KBB or gas vehicles.
They paid fair value in the end, but it took some negotiations back and fourth. Bought car back and fixed the damage myself.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I wish VW still made a small pickup like the Ranger I had.
Was perfect for my needs.
I did find a Volkswagen Amarok listed with a TDI build from 2010 on.
I think it's listed commercial.

oilhammer

TDI
No more compact pickup trucks for us again, I'm afraid. And no, the Maverick does not qualify. It is a really ugly sedan with the trunk lid missing. Underneath it is much more like a Fusion with some really severe birth defects.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I don't know what it is about a deer standing beside a road, it's like they just want to commit suicide by car.

Problem is......they'll do the same thing to a motorcycle.

oilhammer

TDI
They're often standing anywhere there is a clearing, you just SEE them beside the road, because that's where YOU are. I can walk a quarter mile into the woods to a clearing, far away from any roads, and if I sit and wait, they'll show up. That's why deer hunters place themselves at the edge of a clearing.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Tdijarhead im sorry to hear about your mishap , my golf has been sitting in the yard for same reason…..it’s mostly back together……but damn trying to find time to work on it has been a challenge……I need two full days of no interference or fires to get it back up……that’s including some over due maintenance……

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tdijarhead im sorry to hear about your mishap , my golf has been sitting in the yard for same reason…..it’s mostly back together……but damn trying to find time to work on it has been a challenge……I need two full days of no interference or fires to get it back up……that’s including some over due maintenance……
Thanks Steve, The insurance rep was out yesterday but I've heard nothing back from them yet. According to my agent across the street from my place of business they are "investigating and determining damage". At least she made it sound good.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I hope that have good news for you.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
My 1998 suffered the same fate -- still waiting for me to fix it. I have the parts, just not the time.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I made an interesting observation today. After removing the radiator I found a lot of crud between the radiator and ac condenser. The pile on the floor and what’s still on the radiator itself

pedroYUL

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW(brother)
Heck yeah. I recently changed the condenser in a 2012 with 160k miles, it had similar amounts of garbage collected, but maybe a hair less than your pic.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Heck yeah. I recently changed the condenser in a 2012 with 160k miles, it had similar amounts of garbage collected, but maybe a hair less than your pic.
That's 480K miles of accumulated gunk, The deer hit pushed the radiator and condenser back enough to break the upper radiator hose connection which of course allowed most of the coolant to spill all over the road. The condenser seems to have survived.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well guys I have it all back together. A friend painted the hood and grill off my old golf, I bought a pre-painted fender off eBay, obviously aftermarket. A new radiator and mirror, the radiator support from my old golf and a few plastic pieces around the battery and headlight and I’m back on the road.

It will carry an R title designation but honestly a 2005 with 488k miles, who cares? Especially after insurance gave me more than half of what I paid for it back in 2012. All told I have a bit less than $1000 in the repair.

I made a trip to the local shopping emporium (junkyard) this past Wednesday and picked up most of the remaining
plastic pieces and also stumbled onto a complete set of leather door cards, a new headlight for the passenger side and a few other goodies. I even found some almost new headlights for my daughters Jetta and also a rust free fender for her

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Woo-hoo! Great job! Time for a celebration!
Thanks shoebear, I’ve actually had it back together for about a week or so, I’ve been meaning to post up some pics but kept forgetting.

For anyone interested this is the company I used off of eBay. While the fender was aftermarket and definitely of a slightly thinner metal which when you hold the fenders one in each hand at the same time you can feel a slight weight difference.
The color was a perfect match , the fender arrived perfectly packed with a coating of what I would describe as baby powder over the painted surface, which wiped right off. I would definitely buy from these guys again. After a bit of inter web sleuthing I found their regular website where the prices are a bit better.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Rebuild looks great, Tdijarhead, glad you got it back on the road (and nice score on the other goodies too).

I always feel like insurance companies should be required to disclose the "total loss" payout on a car if the situation should arise at each policy renewal. That way, you could look at it and do some quick math and decide for yourself if the extra cost is worth it, or would you be better served to just take that difference and shove it in the bank. I do not carry any full coverage on anything that I could afford to replace myself, which means all my cars aside from the wife's new (now technically one year old) Mini.
I know in NJ full coverage is required if you have to finance when you buy the vehicle, whether new or used. I dropped my Jetta down to liability only (which is all the state itself requires) a number of years back, as it was long paid off and old/high mileage enough that it no longer made sense for full coverage.

Smooth_Puddin

TDI
03 Jetta TDi Wagon 6 Speed
Glad to see you get it back together! Invest in some deer whistles to mount on the front. I haven’t even come close to hitting a deer in 10 years. (Knock on wood)

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
Nice job!! Glad you saved it. Absolutely love the black ‘n tan interior!!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice job!! Glad you saved it. Absolutely love the black ‘n tan interior!!

Thank you, I’ve come to like it also. The Black and Tan was not intentional, I stumbled across a very nicely appointed Jetta with a full leather interior. It had front power heated seats and the works. I was able to get the seats last fall and when I went back to the junkyard a week or so ago the door cards were still there. I grabbed them this time. The fronts fit perfectly into my golf, the rear cards needed the top plastic piece swapped. That piece is slightly shorter on the golf than it is on the Jetta, otherwise the lower part of the rear door cards are the same.

Now if I could find a decent set of black leather rear seats I’d be all set.