I have TDI JSW with CJAA engine

13'SportWagen

TDI
13 Sportwagen
This morning I started hearing a weird rattling noise thinking its a timing sound. My car currently has 89k and is CPO, should I bring it in? Would VW replace at their cost if defective before the 130k recommended?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
How pronounced and what rpm & conditions does it happen?

I have an 11 with 79k & 6m. I was noticing a recent "weird rattle". It is after fully warmed up and so far under light "tip in" acceration @ or around 2k rpm. I am probably abnormally obsessive when it comes to my cars and am am going to bet this rattle is something most would not notice. But...It kind of feels like the oil is wearing and too thin combined with normal(?) wear/piston wear or similar clearance? Im at 5k where I change oil. Im an old guy that's outlived a couple 200k+ cars and try to notice the small things before they become big things, so FWIW.

Yesterday I had the oil changed and from the only one drive so far I think that was it. We'll see.

13'SportWagen

TDI
13 Sportwagen
Thanks for the response, I just changed the oil 2k ago, I called the dealership and they said they "cant fix noises" in other words, work is only warranted when an issue happens. Hopefully nothing major.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Is my description similar?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Im at 5k where I change oil. Im an old guy that's outlived a couple 200k+ ...
Why change before the OCI is up though?

You've opted to keep your emissions system intact, yes? So you're using 507 oil?

If so, such an early OCI is likely more of a detriment to your car than you may realize.

Without going into full Bob Is The Oil Guy forums level of detail... the 507 oil has a few phases.

First phase is where detergents scrub off an old layer of deposited wear metals (like zinc) off the friction surfaces like crank bearings and cams.

Second phase is bedding down a new sacrificial layer.

Third phase is like regular oil.

Considering the OCI is 10k miles and you're doing 5k mile intervals you may or may not have a fully bedded down protective layer.

Have you been performing used oil analyses? Or just going off the old timey methods?

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Why change before the OCI is up though?

You've opted to keep your emissions system intact, yes? So you're using 507 oil?

If so, such an early OCI is likely more of a detriment to your car that you may realize.

Without going into full Bob Is The Oil Guy forums level of detail... the 507 oil has a few phases.

First phase is where detergents scrub off an old layer of deposited wear metals (like zinc) off the friction surfaces like crank bearings and cams.

Second phase is bedding down a new sacrificial layer.

Third phase is like regular oil.

Considering the OCI is 10k miles and you're doing 5k mile intervals you may or may not have a fully bedded down protective layer.

Have you been performing used oil analyses? Or just going off the old timey methods?
Emmisions in tact.
You may be right. This is only my 2nd oil change on this JSW/cjaa. It is also the 2nd oil analysis on it, and for that matter I'm just learning what some of the numbers mean. I am open to extending the miles but the main reason I've done 5k is that is all this car sees a year. I just sent the 2nd off this a.m. I may do the 10k but would wonder about an old filter element 2 years old? Hmmm.... The 1st was with 1/2 can of lubrimoly, 2nd without. Kinda curious on the numbers difference. Yesterday other 1/2 can of molly. I can post soon.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
You could always have a look at the filter, see if it's moist or not. If it's still moist I wouldn't worry about degradation too much.

The time question is a good one. I have heard some oils are best changed yearly due to them getting too acidic over time.

And I hear you on getting up to speed for oil analysis results. I've had a few popular brands checked out but don't really know much about interpreting the results. It would be interesting to see if your numbers are on the high range for wear metals with the reduced OCI.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah as I remember the 1st check struck me as excessive wear maybe I should extend the changes. I was surprised my wife's Impreza's 1st report @ 20k, seemed so much cleaner on wear metals than the TDI. I'm also going to see if the Subaru wear will vary switching AWAY from the factory called for 0w 20 to 10w 30 on the last change. I changed that oil @ 5k too. It calls for 6k changes. Unless I find 5k actually bad for wear on either I will stick to it as it is easier for me to keep consistent.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Surprised no one has brought up the possibility of the DMF failing rattle. I think its most noticeable at idle.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Good point, we only know it was when its started (cold).

Is it manual or DSG?

Does it go away when warm? Middle higher rpm? Under load, or constant speed?