I have a 2002 vw beetle with a 1.9l diesel. The idler pulley came off at highway speeds and I can not tell what all goes on the idler.

fishtilyableed

TDI
1.9l
Is it a stud with a nut or a bolt and what size and length is the bolt or stud? Are there washers to space out with or just a bushing? Thanks in advance.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Which idler?

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Is it the tensioner or the idler pulley? The idler pulley has a n 8mm bolt, the tensioner is replaced as an assembly. You should also replace the alternator clutch pulley at the same time.

fishtilyableed

TDI
1.9l
Mini, LMMFAO workshop manual..... that is too funny..... Moza it is the idler pulley on the serpentine belt. The bolt in the idler is actually a 8mm socket head cap screw. There was not enough of it left to tell what it was. And speaking of the overrunning clutch on the alternator does anyone know why it would be required on these vw's but nothing else? Kinda odd.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Mini, LMMFAO workshop manual..... that is too funny..... Moza it is the idler pulley on the serpentine belt. The bolt in the idler is actually a 8mm socket head cap screw. There was not enough of it left to tell what it was. And speaking of the overrunning clutch on the alternator does anyone know why it would be required on these vw's but nothing else? Kinda odd.
You probably haven't seen a lot of the newer cars then. Almost every newer car has the overrunning alternator pulleys. The reason that the TDIs need them is because of the pulsation of the diesel engine and the large sized rotor on the 120 amp alternator. The 90 amp one didn't have a clutch pulley on it, as it had a small enough rotor that it didn't have as many issues.
I sell the oem Ina pulleys for a fraction of the price of the box stores. They're something that used to be outrageous in price, but really has come down to be affordable. If you need one and a tool to replace it, I can set you up.
I'd check all the other belt driven parts to make sure everything is good. Check the tensioner pulley for roughness in the pulley bearing, as well as the AC compressor, alternator and power steering pump.
Also, make sure you're up to date on the timing belt service, those are no fun to have fail.