I hate to say it but I need a new one!

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
My beloved 2002 Jetta got eaten alive last weekend. A 2007 Jetta GASSER went sideways into a Dump Truck on I-270 at 60mph and pushed said truck into me! :eek: It tore the entire right side of my car off and the left side off of hers! This is an incredible testament to the quality of these cars as there were no injuries- EXCEPT TO ZIPPY!
Now I have a dilema- What should I replace him with? New? Used? DSG? Manual? I loved the 55 mpg I was getting with my 02 manual and I know that the new ones are lower. Also, the DSG used to be unreliable, have they gotten better?
Any input or suggestions would be greatly appriciated.
UPDATE: I just got an '01 Jetta, manual. Great shape, 147K, almost exactly exactly the same car that I lost except Green with Leather and heated seats. For $5000 I had to go for it. Now I'm good to go for another 10+ years!

Last edited:

duck_man

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
How many miles on your '02?
I just lost the engine at 319K on my black 5 speed.
Are you interested in selling your engine or buying my body?

I forgot to say my brother lives in Gaithersburg.
e-mail me if you have any interest
mike-n-martha@charter.net
Thanks!
ML

Last edited:

rdean

TDI
I considered keeping it for parts but the insurance CO. would reduce my settlement too much! He WAS PERFECT! Only 105K AND I'd just replaced the Injector pump!

duck_man

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Here's the story: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=294467

Car is black with gray cloth interior in great shape. A/C works great, sun/moon-roof, 5-speed manual trans., heated seats. A small piece of paint peeled off above each front wheel a couple months ago--I bought the primer and paint but haven't fixed it yet. Other than that just a bunch of stone nicks in the hood from I-90. I bought it new in Feb. 2002 and drove it 150mi round trip from La Crosse WI to Rochester MN daily. No accidents. New brakes and tires at 305K.

rdean

TDI
Update

Well I settled with Insurance today. At least they gave me a good offer without low balling! I tried to get the car back since the motor was good but they wanted too much for that!
NOW I'm ready to get going again! I do have one question that I can't seem to find a definitive answer on. Does Low Sulfur Diesel cause the seals to leak in these older models? I had to replace my injector pump last year for leaking. I never ran Bio-Diesel and added Stanadyn Performance to every tank. If I get another '01 to '03 am I going to leak again?
Thanks

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
ultra low sulfur diesel may cause seals to leak, but you do not need a new injection pump to remedy that. Seals can be replaced for about $20 in parts.

if you can find a lower mileage 03 or earlier, then I'd go with that.

rdean

TDI
Thanks

I did replace the end seal first using the kit from TDI Parts. Then I noticed that it was leaking else where. I looked for someone local to do just the seals with no luck and wound up just replacing the pump.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
It should all be ultra low sulfur at pumps now-all depends if the owner of car had problems or not w/ IP seals.They might start leaking right after you buy it,they may never leak.Just stick w/ ULSD and an additive when you find the right car.