I hate a/c compressors

Chris I

TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 98' Jetta TDI (sold)
Ever since vw and their moron overengineers thought it would be a great idea to have the compressor run constantly they've been nothing but crap. Had the same issue on my mk5 GLI, but I digress...

So I'm trying to diagnose my non functioning a/c. The system is full of refrigerant. The solenoid wiring and plug seem fine. When you switch on the a/c the compressor doesn't engage and the rad fans do not turn on. The fans are working fine otherwise during normal driving and regens (another brilliant idea).

This is leading me to believe the ac clutch isn't engaging. I was hearing a nasty noise while idling a few weeks ago that I feared was related to my hpfp cam but now that I've checked out my ac pulley I'm wondering if the clutch assembly ate itself.

Check out the pics of the 3 bolts, all the heads are slightly sheared off in the same spot. The center clutch part doesn't spin very easily and the mechanism will hit the bolts every so often as it does spin.

Thoughts? Can the clutch be replaced separately or am I looking at a new/used compressor replacement?

I seriously hate these new TDIs and am giving serious thoughts to going back to the golden age MK4 ALH....

....someone please talk me down from the ledge

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Ever since vw and their moron overengineers thought it would be a great idea to have the compressor run constantly they've been nothing but crap. Had the same issue on my mk5 GLI, but I digress...
It is not VW , all manufacture those days have same kind of the compressor, welcome to new era.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Some are worse, actually. Some don't have an easily available/replaceable RCV. And some cars now are running R1234yf which is not only much more expensive, but the machine to use it is a jaw dropping cost that shops have to pass on to the customers. I think ours was $6k and it isn't even the "fanciest" one available. :(