I got a "Malone Tune"

lil_k9

TDI
2013 VW Golf 6MT
Nice! Is the new power going through a stock clutch? what other mods are you running?
I'm waiting on the rental tuner from Boraparts right now :)

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Nice! Is the new power going through a stock clutch? what other mods are you running?
I'm waiting on the rental tuner from Boraparts right now :)
I have the Sachs G60 SMF clutch set, egr cooler delete+ tuned delete. Glad to finally get rid of that CEL !!!

Also running brand new KUMHO ECASTA LX 225/45/17'S and the car will now make them scream in first and second gear.

We're driving through the mountains of KY right now and barey having to push the peddle going uphill at 75ish.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
For the most part people don't change the nozzles on a Bew. That's the car that just got the tune.
You have an alh, if you did an injector swap with Aaron and a tune you would be shocked at what a different car you would have.

I've had 520's on my alh for 100k+ miles and I love them.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I had Malone/Aaron put a tune on my Wagon at fest as well. It is good to have the options of different good tuners, and to feel the "Flavors" of the different tuners. I can honestly say that both of the tunes I have had on this car are very good tunes, and wouldn't feel bad recommending either of them to anyone.

I went with a stage 3 custom tune to go with my Bosch T4s, racepipe, and 3" turboback.

Had Malone add the Dynamic idle control to raise the idle to 1200 RPM until the coolant comes up to 150*, it then will drop down to normal idle speed.

Boost is maxed at 17.5 Sustained, and spikes to 21 when stabbed and quickly settles right down to 17.5-18. if you roll into the throttle it will not spike and just goes straight to 17.5 like it should.

it is almost 100% smokeless, and feels just as powerful and has a more linear power curve than my previous tune.

EGTs are lower on the freeway when climbing hills, boost does not go all the way up when climbing hills. it only raises a few PSI to hold speed on cruise, thus keeping the EGTs lower.

the dynamic idle control improved the shudder when taking off in 1st gear so well that I went back to Aaron and asked for a retune to raise my idle to 1050 rpm permanently.
this change, while minor has removed a source of frustration that I have had since I purchased this car.

I am well pleased with my new Malone Tune.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Will I see any ill-effects on my MPG if I go with a stage 1 on my BEW?
Nope, BEW's and BRM's on average tend to neither gain nor lose mileage (although that entirely depends on how you drive it!).

That said we've had some customers report a good 2-3 MPG improvement, but I usually don't advertise that - better to have you expect a huge power improvement with same mileage and be pleasantly surprised with better MPG than promise a big improvement only to see the same mileage as before. ;)

-BB

Utmuscle

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
I too have an '05 Jetta TDI wagon. It has the 5spd tiptronic transmission which works perfectly but I'm thinking about a stage 1 tune but I'm concerned about my stock turbo. I heard they tend to run away with tuning. Should I wait on the tune until I replace the turbo? Has anyone had any issues with tuning an automatic?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
^---- mine does this... A quick turn of the key and all is fine, lol.

Although I've got a big turbo going in, so soon this will not be an issue.

Mark@MaloneTuning

Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
If you're getting limp mode, then your boost creep / overboost may be pretty severe and a re-tune is strongly recommended to maintain turbo longevity. Even if you plan to get a bigger turbo in the future, an intact stock turbo is still worth money.

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Boost creep can be an issue with the KP39 turbos resulting in limp mode after a long WOT run. Mine was fix by installing a 3 bar map and adjusting the tune for it.
A 3 bar MAP hides an existing problem. It has nothing to do with controlling boost creep.

Most people believe that the max. safe boost is 18 PSI. The 2.5 bar MAP sensor can see up to ~21 PSI, so there is absolutely no reason to upgrade to a 3 bar MAP.

If you're creeping beyond 21 PSI and the 3 bar MAP sensor allows your ECU to "see" 21+ PSI without triggering limp mode, then that is a very dangerous way to hide the fact that your stock turbo is still being stressed.

The solution to maintain a steady 18 PSI boost is to limit power, especially at higher RPM where boost creep occurs. The reduced power reduces exhaust energy so the stock turbo won't be so overwhelmed.

An exhaust upgrade will exacerbate boost creep, so I don't usually recommend this unless a bigger turbo comes in the picture.

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
I too have an '05 Jetta TDI wagon. It has the 5spd tiptronic transmission which works perfectly but I'm thinking about a stage 1 tune but I'm concerned about my stock turbo. I heard they tend to run away with tuning. Should I wait on the tune until I replace the turbo? Has anyone had any issues with tuning an automatic?
Stage 1 is +20HP and virtually all PD TDI engines do not have boost creep with this. Stage 2 is +40whp and roughly half of PD TDIs will boost creep, thus I recommend a boost gauge or VAG-COM (VCDS) boost log. I also have a Stage 1.5 tune, which is +30whp and I'd recommend this if you want max. power without checking boost. Stage 1.5 is actually the most popular tune.

I've heard of other tuners advertise +50-60HP with the stock PD turbo, which is in most cases unsafe or misleading (unless they're talking about crank power as opposed to wheel power).

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
A 3 bar MAP hides an existing problem. It has nothing to do with controlling boost creep.

Most people believe that the max. safe boost is 18 PSI. The 2.5 bar MAP sensor can see up to ~21 PSI, so there is absolutely no reason to upgrade to a 3 bar MAP.

If you're creeping beyond 21 PSI and the 3 bar MAP sensor allows your ECU to "see" 21+ PSI without triggering limp mode, then that is a very dangerous way to hide the fact that your stock turbo is still being stressed.
Thanks for the info Mark but the tune adjustment and 3 bar did it's thing for me.

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
Stage 1 is +20HP and virtually all PD TDI engines do not have boost creep with this. Stage 2 is +40whp and roughly half of PD TDIs will boost creep, thus I recommend a boost gauge or VAG-COM (VCDS) boost log. I also have a Stage 1.5 tune, which is +30whp and I'd recommend this if you want max. power without checking boost. Stage 1.5 is actually the most popular tune.

I've heard of other tuners advertise +50-60HP with the stock PD turbo, which is in most cases unsafe or misleading (unless they're talking about crank power as opposed to wheel power).

What PSIs are each of these stages pushing?

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
Thanks for the info Mark but the tune adjustment and 3 bar did it's thing for me.
A re-tune was all you needed, the 3 bar MAP makes zero difference in boost control for ~18 PSI. 2.5 bar MAP sensors also very rarely fail. In fact, some bigger MAPs have lower resolution, so the boost control quality is degraded (although it's negligible).

Adding a 3 bar MAP to fix your ~18 PSI boost control issue is like replacing the spare wheel tire in an attempt to fix a flat tire on one of your installed wheels - it does not fix anything. Not a great analogy, but you get the idea.

Your ECU might not trigger limp mode anymore if it boosts above 21 PSI - outside of the range of a 2.5 bar MAP - but your turbo is still at risk of failure if it's still overboosting. If your boost is stable at ~18 PSI now, then a 2.5 bar MAP will still do the job 100%.

Regardless, that's good if your boost control is fixed in the end :)

Last edited:

Mark@MaloneTuning

TDI
What PSIs are each of these stages pushing?
Hey Nick, long time no see.

Stage 1-3 tunes request 17.5-18.0 PSI for the stock turbo (1996-2006 TDIs). Spikes up to 21 PSI are OK as long as they don't last more than a second. Otherwise VNT cleaning, re-tuning, or a boost valve is suggested.

I noticed that you have a '98 AHU, I got one earlier this year :)

Cheers,
Mark

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Tuning and FE

Even after Mark's tune and some hardware upgrades, my fuel Economy seems to have stayed the same. If it went up or down it didn't change much. :)

I've got what I think is a Stage 4 tune. (I just told Mark what I had and what I was looking for. The closest tune to what I received would seem to be a Stage 4.)
http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=62

PP520 injectors
2.5" full exhaust system (including high flow CAT and Muffler)
VNT-17 turbo
3-bar map sensor
upgraded clutch
boost gauge

Starting the car, or WOT are the only times you might see a tiny puff of smoke.
It's got way more pep.
And the FE hasn't changed.

However, I do currently find myself in the market for an even better clutch.;)

Thanks again Mark!:D

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I haven't noticed any issues....but I don't race the car either. ie...I'm not pushing through turns at WOT. It's mostly a daily driver. My summer tires are in good shape too.

Most of my spirited driving is while driving in straight lines...mostly. And with that I've had no problems. The car pulls all day.:D

We do get lots of ice and snow here in winter though. But I have good winter tires with lots of grip. I've only gotten stuck once...due to the front end getting wedged up on snow pack in a parking stall....wheels were basically off the ground.
Other than that most people don't "push it" in poor conditions here.:)

I haven't felt the need to switch to an LSD.

Utmuscle

TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
Thanks Mark! I think 1.5 tune sounds good but can my auto transmission handle it? I'm pretty conservative. While I usually drive a stick, most of my driving now is around town and with all the construction I'm sick of clutching. I haven't had any issues with my tiptronic but it has 175k miles on it I don't want to push my luck.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
My tune from Mark (malone tuning) has been great, good power, low smoke and an OEM feel to the delivery of the power. He has been super responsive to all of my inquiries and very helpful in helping me with the data logging diagnostics. Thanks