I found a dirty big turbo any use? (Toyota CT-20 turbo)

don_231

TDI
1996 mk3 golf tdi
hi guys. whilst sorting through my dads garage i stumbled on an old turbo.

it says toyota ct-20 on the side. im lead to believe they were fitted on toyota surf's and big trucks etc. its a big old fashioned wastegated turbo and has what looks like extra oil or water cooling lines.

just wondering if anyone has seen / heard or has the knowledge if these can be used on smaller vw engines. currently got a 1z on high miles , im thinking its possibly too large for that seeing as the pistons are the week link but iv also gone a low milage ahu engine waiting for more performance parts.

il upload afew pics this morning if that that would help, just cleaning it up now.

thanks in advance, don

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Quote....
"The turbochargers used in the 3S-GTE engines are Toyota designs. The first generation Toyota CT26 utilized a single entry turbine housing and a single wastegate port design. The second generation Toyota CT26 used a twin entry turbine housing with dual wastegate ports. The third-generation engine uses the (enthusiast dubbed) Toyota CT20b turbo which was of the same design as the second generation but with a slightly improved turbine housing. The fourth generation engine uses a proprietary and once again enthusiast dubbed CT15b turbocharger whose exhaust housing is actually cast into the cylinder exhaust manifold, rather than the normal practice of a separate turbine housing after the cylinder exhaust manifold. The CT20b can be used on the second generation 3S-GTE head but it is not backwards compatible with the first generation 3S-GTE. The CT15b is backwards compatible with the third generation 3S-GTE cylinder head only. All Toyota's turbochargers for the 3S-GTE generations use an internal wastegate design".

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Just as a side note Don if you don't end up using the ct20 turbo if you jump over to the Toyota Mr2 uk forum someone will gladly buy it off you as they are sought after.

don_231

TDI
1996 mk3 golf tdi
hi mojo thanks for the info. from what i can tell it has the twin turbine wheel. so can anyone tell me if it would it be worth fitting to my ahu?

if so what sort of boost levels could this sustain safetly etc etc

heres a pic or three...

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
I would have thought that you could make it work on your car though it would work better if you had similar mods to what i had on my 1z motor such as having the head flown and a h/l cam plus some R520 nozzles.........you will after have a full one off manifold made of use an adaptor plate and a 2.5' id down pipe and the of course a good tune that gives minimum lag and smoke output.