I Finally got a TDI!

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
Well, It's been a couple three years since I got my 1.6 N/A and was bitten by the bug so to speak, and here it is, I finally graduated to a 2002 New Beetle TDI. (What a difference a turbo makes!)

Here is a picture of my 86 1.6 N/A Golf

And here are a few pics of the Beetle:

Sorry for the picture quality, I dunno why my camera is adding the pink color to the background. :confused:

Anyway, I got a pretty good deal on the Beetle, its a One Owner 2002 model with 190,000 miles on it. The guy took real good care of the car and just dumped almost $1400 in it at the local VW dealership to get the intake de-carbonized and some other small things repaired. The car was leaking fuel pretty bad when I went to test drive it, and that was a bargaining tool that I used to talk him down on the price. (I had no idea what the leak was, but I was pretty confident that I could fix it myself).
Sure enuf, I get it home and the fuel line to the #2 injector was leaking pretty good. I loosend it up and repositioned it on the injector, tightend it up and the leak was fixed! :)

Fast forward 8,000 miles and all of a sudden I was getting on it pretty good, and the turbo made this noise like a cat screeching and I noticed a loss of power.........next thing you know, I got the thickest white cloud of smoke just pouring out the exhaust. I mean it's so bad, that oncoming traffic is pulling over to the side of the road cause they cannot see!

Well, I thought I could limp it back to the house (15 miles) but the oil pressure light came on about 2 miles after it started smoking. So, I immediately pulled it into a parking lot and shut it down. Checked the dipstick and it didn't even have a hint of oil on the stick! :( I went and borrowed a tow dolly and bought a gallon of synthetic Shell Rotella 15-40, dumped the entire gallon of oil in the engine, fired it up and put it on the dolly and towed it home.

This was about 3 weeks ago, so I am contemplating whether or not to cut my losses and sell it, or should I purchase a VNT15 from TDIparts.com for $900 and pay my mechanic God knows how much to install it.

I am thankfull that I kept my 86 Golf, cause that is what I have been driving for the last 3 weeks while I wrestle with the decision of what to do with the Beetle.

I think the previous owner dropped the ball on this one, cause when I asked him what type of oil he ran in it, he had no clue, he just stated that he took it to the Jiffy Lube place and let them change it. So, I am assuming that the car never had the synthetic oil in it and that is what caused the turbo to go out.

If I do decide to replace the turbo, I will be purchasing new feed and return oil lines from TDIparts.com. Just to be safe!

Any words of advice are appreciated!

Oh yeah, since the turbo is more than likely shot and I am going to have to replace it, should I upgrade to the VNT 17? I don't have enuf money to get the bigger injectors and the pump rebuilt, so would I just be throwing my money away, or can you upgrade to the VNT17 without doing any other mods?

Morse

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Beetle, 05 cummins (8,040 pounds-13.47 quarter mile), Dodge half ton cummins (nines on the way)
Not to sound bad, but I would be much more worried about harm done to the motor. Replacing the turbo is the simple part..

Last edited:

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I'd say the turbo is definitely shot. As was stated, I'd be more worried about abnormal wear in the engine because of what the jiffy lube place put in. If there's a TDI guru close to you, I'd have them give the engine a look over, including under the valve cover. If there's not one close to you, you could pull the valve cover yourself, take some pictures and send them to the closest guru and see what that person has to say. With 190k of jiffy lube oil changes, I would really be worried about what that cam looks like for one. That's the easiest part of the valve train to look at. If that looks abnormally worn, then I'd be worried about the rest of the bearings and oil rings and such in your engine. Also, I just had a thought, with that many miles, you might be getting due to have your lifters replaces anyhow. Some of the '02s had a bad batch of lifters from the factory. That's another reason to pull the valve cover and check the top end of your engine.

Nice looking car, otherwise. Manual or automatic transmission?

Also, you should actually be using a 5w-40 diesel oil rather than the 15w-40 you dumped in there. What you have will work, but I wouldn't run a continuous diet of it through the car.

Last edited:

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info about abnormal wear. Ya know, I heard a lil voice in the back of my head telling me to be careful when he told me that he just took it to Jiffy Lube for the oil/filter change, but.........I was getting such a good deal and I wanted a TDI SOOOO BAD! I threw caution to the wind I guess.

By the way, when you say abnormal wear, you are talking about him not following the VW guidlines with synthetic oil, right? You don't think I damaged it any by driving it 2 miles while it smoked like a James Bond car w/the smoke screen button pushed? I know that when the oil pressure light came on, it just came on for a second and then went off, then it came on about 10 seconds later and stayed on, that's when I shut it down........and it was still smoking white smoke when I shut it off.

Put in another gallon of Shell Rotella 15-40 Synthetic and it started up and ran, nothing seemed wrong, w/exception to the turbo.

About the tranny, well, it's a 5 speed of course! Wouldn't have an auto in a TDI if you gave it to me! :) (Ok, maybe if you DID give it to me!) :)

So, if the VW guru I take it to says that the engine is ok, what about the turbo, should I upgrade to the VNT17, I would love to mod this thing, but can only afford it one step at a time.

Thanks for the replies, and I am thinking of selling it if anyone is good with a wrench. I just don't have the time or skillz to replace the turbo. Price would be just right for a TDI Club member.

86 Might be up for sale as well, I am really trying to talk the wife into letting me get the new TDI CUP Jetta coming out in January! :D

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
GIDDY_UP_GO said:
Thanks for the info about abnormal wear. Ya know, I heard a lil voice in the back of my head telling me to be careful when he told me that he just took it to Jiffy Lube for the oil/filter change, but.........I was getting such a good deal and I wanted a TDI SOOOO BAD! I threw caution to the wind I guess.

By the way, when you say abnormal wear, you are talking about him not following the VW guidlines with synthetic oil, right? You don't think I damaged it any by driving it 2 miles while it smoked like a James Bond car w/the smoke screen button pushed? I know that when the oil pressure light came on, it just came on for a second and then went off, then it came on about 10 seconds later and stayed on, that's when I shut it down........and it was still smoking white smoke when I shut it off.

Put in another gallon of Shell Rotella 15-40 Synthetic and it started up and ran, nothing seemed wrong, w/exception to the turbo.

About the tranny, well, it's a 5 speed of course! Wouldn't have an auto in a TDI if you gave it to me! :) (Ok, maybe if you DID give it to me!) :)

So, if the VW guru I take it to says that the engine is ok, what about the turbo, should I upgrade to the VNT17, I would love to mod this thing, but can only afford it one step at a time.

Thanks for the replies, and I am thinking of selling it if anyone is good with a wrench. I just don't have the time or skillz to replace the turbo. Price would be just right for a TDI Club member.

86 Might be up for sale as well, I am really trying to talk the wife into letting me get the new TDI CUP Jetta coming out in January! :D
Initially, I was referring to the previous owner not doing the proper maintainance on the car, but it's also possible you may have damaged something when the turbo blew. I'm not going to say for certain because I have not looked at the car, nor am I a guru. Just one of the backyard mechanics who sometimes likes to play under the hood.

As far as the turbo, that's entirely up to you whether or not you put the VNT17 in it or not. If you're planning on modding it, you could start with the turbo, since it needs to be replaced anyways, then go with the other mods as you have time and money. Otherwise, if it were my car, I would get a new VNT 15 and put that in. Like I said, it's entirely up to you.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
If you decide to do the repairs make sure a new timing belt is a part of the work. At 190,000 your beetle is going on its second one. And alot of people get rid of the TDI just to avoid the expense of doing it.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
The timing belt was done 160,000 miles and I have the receipt from the VW dealership.

So I could have a VNT17 installed without doing any other mods and it would work fine.....?

Last edited:

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
GIDDY_UP_GO said:
The timing belt was done 160,000 miles and I have the receipt from the VW dealership.
That's no guarrantee that the timing belt job was done correctly and all the neccessary parts were replaced. Whatever TDI guru you take the car to should also be able to tell you if the timing belt job was done correctly. Do a search on the site here and read about all the fouled up dealer-done timing belt jobs and what happened to the engines.

Also, I agree with VelociT. If you did drive it 2 miles with no oil, that engine may or may not be toasted. Only a guru can tell you for certain.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
He said he shut it down immediately after the second occurrence of the low oil pressure light, not after driving for 2 miles. So there is always a chance its ok. Furthermore the oil light comes on when pressure drops substantially, not just if there is no oil pressure whatsoever. So there is hopefully always a brief window of safety if you shut down right away.

I can never believe that people will continue to drive a vehicle that is laying down a smoke screen and burning all its oil away....
Don't start it anymore until you rebuild it! Or at a minimum inspect everything.

Find your local guru and let him tell you what you need to do.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
What killed the engine:

No, not the oil used, not even taking it to Jiffy Lube (although that would be the second guess), it was:

GIDDY_UP_GO said:
...The guy took real good care of the car and just dumped almost $1400 in it at the local VW dealership to get the intake de-carbonized and some other small things repaired...
Back there where the nuts and bolts are that you need to remove to get the intake manifold off to clean it, is the oiling plumbing for the turbocharger. 'Nuff said.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
? I don't follow PowderHound. Removing the intake manifold has nothing to do with the turbo oil feed. Proximity does not imply causality.....?

Hill

TDI
Sold two Dodge TDI trucks in July. Kubota tractor - no turbo.
I don't think there should be any thinking or money spent to change or repair the turbo or the engine - just find an engine . By now there ought to be a TDI specialized shop within range, and VW people (not the dealers) tend not to be the ripoff type of auto repair places. Get on the phone asking about a replacement engine - rebuilt is good from a good place.

With the number of miles and the episode you've described trying to fix that engine will likely be a sinkhole to throw money in and chances are that once you think you're all good the engine will die of old age.

If you set the white balance in your camera on 'auto' it'll probably make your colors more correct. Just a guess but I'd say that it was left set on 'indoors' or 'incadescent light'.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I appreciate all the replies to my topic. I think that my dad and I are gonna try and replace the turbo ourselves.

I found a new turbo at TDIparts.com http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=388

I have never done anything more than change my own oil and filter and rotate tires, but my dad (Retired Farmer) thinks that he can install the above turbo on the Beetle. (In addition to the new feed and return oil line)

Now, all I need to do is find a detailed thread here on the net on how to do this procedure.

If anyone has done this or know of a link that I can get information from, please let me know.

Also, when we install the new turbo, do we need to put oil in the turbo oil feed line prior to installation, or once we crank the engine with the turbo installed will the oil make it up to the turbo in time to lube it?

I know, I am a rookie, but that's why I'm here! I need knowledge!

mbolin

TDI
2001 Beetle
I understand how farmer dads can be so.. At least take the valve cover off and look for damage. Any idea where the oil went? did all 4.5qt's burn out in the smoke? There is a possibility of the turbo oil seal going bad and filling up your engine with oil, bending valves and cracking lifters. Stick with the vnt15 and install with new oil supply line. After the install I'm pretty sure you just crank with no fuel to prime all the oil passages. PM Paramedick, he did my engine change after a valve failed and damaged my engine/turbo. Very close attention to detail, he did a great job. I have a 2001 Beetle so he might have some tips for taking everything out of the way while its still fresh in his mind

Last edited:

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, it' been 3 long months since my turbo went out and the Beetle has been sitting in the (heated) garage collecting dust. The tax check should be in the bank this Friday. :)

I talked to Corey at idparts.com (Whom was extremely helpful!) and I should be ordering my new Garrett VNT15 with a new oil feed line this Friday.

I think I am also going to order (2) "Exhaust (Turbo) Manifold Block-Off Plates" and do the EGR delete.

Actually, I'm not doing any of the work, I have decided to let my VW mechanic do it for me.

I cannot wait to get this thing back on the road! I have been driving my "86" Golf in the meantime, and it has performed well, just hate driving it in the salt and snow (especially since I just had it re-painted!)

So, hopefully in 2 weeks, I will have a positive update!

Any last words of encouragement or advice is greatly appreciated!!!

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Update on the Beetle. I got the Turbo from IDparts and the race pipe from Diesel Geek. My VW mechanic got everything installed and I went to pick it up and on the way home, it smoke like a locomotive for about 20 miles or so, due to all the oil that was in the exhaust system from when the turbo 1st went out. After the thing quit smoking, then my engine check light came on (Because of the EGR Delete). After 30 miles, the hose to that runs from the turbo to the intercooler came loose and I was loosing boost big time! Plus when I had the hood open and looking over his work, I noticed that he had connected one of the vacuum tubes that used to run from the MAF to the EGR to the Diesel Geek race pipe port that was supposed to be for a boost gauge.:mad:

So, I turned the car around and took it back to the shop and he had it for another week before he got all the bugs worked out. :(

Ok, so now I have my beloved Beetle back and the turbo works fine! After 3 long months, it is good to be back in a turbo-charged vehicle. Sure is a big difference over the 1.6 n/a Golf!

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Glad to hear your car is running properly again. Make sure to feed it synthetic only!! I'd keep the Golf. That looks like a really nice example!

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Knock on wood, the lil' Beetle is running great! I have 207,000 miles on it now. The engine is running strong and turbo is working properly. It is 3 o'clock in the morning here, and I finally got off my arse and went out to the garage armed with my trusty laptop and performed the ventectomy courtesy of this link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=55461

I swear this was so easy to do and the instructions were dead on. Like I said, it is 3am and I just went out to the garage, grabbed 3 flat tip screwdrivers and a flashlight and 15 minutes later, I was done!

What a difference it makes when you fill up! No more foaming and i can fill the tank all the way to the tip top without having to manually push down on that vent or waiting for it to self vent.

I would reccomend this procedure to all TDI owners!

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
That's how I did mine, too. It took me all of about 10 minutes, and I wasn't even in a hurry. So much easier to fill the tank since I did that. :D

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Am I the only one thinking you got incredibly lucky that you didn't have a runaway. Both when the turbo first went and you started it to put it on the tow dolly... and after the mechanic didn't clean out the intercooler after the put on the new turbo.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
.......my 86 1.6 N/A Golf

That is one cool looking car.. I am looking at with my pink color glasses ;-)

Swap a 1.9 on that and add a 17/22 along w/ PP502's and you'll be smiling

Congrad on your new bug and a GREAT looking wabbit!!

If you wanna sell the wabbit, let me know

EDIT.... Oh.. is that A Golf... sorry .. still looks GREAT !!

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Bad news for my Beetle. One month ago today, I was travelling down the road at 60mph and an 80yr old geezer decided to pull out in front of me!!!!!!!

I T-boned him pretty good. I got banged up pretty good, but I am here to tell the story.

I bought the car back from the insurance company. They did total it out, and gave me a decent amount for my loss, but I still have the clean title for it and I plan on rebuilding her. I just put a lot of money in a new turbo and clutch and other odds and ends.

The hardest part is going to be getting the drivers side frame rail straightend out. Any suggestions.....?

Last edited:

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
the more mk1 and mk2 golfs i see, the more i'm trying to find one.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the drivers side frame rail got shoved back appx 1". I had a friend make me a couple of spacers where the bumper mounts to the frame to compensate for the 1" difference. I used a come-along to straighten out the rest of the inner fender well metal. it wont be anything fancy underneath, but no one will see it once I get the outer bumper cover on. Worst case scenario, I pull the motor outta the Bug and put it in my 86 Golf!