I cracked my B4 engine at 393K and this is what I found:

vwmttek

TDI
06 jetta tdi
Thats still pretty amazing to see that motor with 390K+ on it and in that good of shape. Alot of people still don't realize how simple maintenance can prevent alot of problems.
One of our ford techs I work with recently had a 07 F150 (gasoline) with around 50k miles on it and it looked way worse than that. Gunk built up everywhere. That motor will be lucky to hit 100k. Looked like they had done at most 5 oil changes, if that. I see this all the time, sad to see people just trashing their motors and then wondering why their motor failed.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I know many people who abuse their engines, but most people do not keep them around for long, so it doesn't matter to them.

My 1995 Isuzu Trooper (gas engine) has 345,000 miles on it and still runs great. I have it to my younger brother in Kentucky due to rust issues and he's still using it.

Good maintenance doesn't take a lot of work or time, just thought.

shwagondawheels

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI 420K and truckin
my AHU just holed out a lifter and locked up the top end while the pistons did there thing to the open valves at 394k..

I hope a can get away without touching the bottom end too if my rods/wrist pin arnt bent.

reddtekk

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
Thanks. I would not add the motor oil, but only 2 cycle oil, which is designed to be burned. Motor oil is not and is designed as a lubricant only. Just a suggestion.
Thanks, I had actually switched to synthetic marine TCW3 next tank after initially reading your post...after seeing your results I decided not to go with anything different. I am planning on using an old dish soap bottle with pre mixed and measured "elixir" in it to eliminate the need to clean off a funnel at the pump before putting it back in the trunk, as well as hopefully reducing the risk of having a large jug of the stuff start leaking all over my trunk after inevitably flopping over...

Hope your b4 is still running its best! Thanks again for sharing your experience with the community!