I believe I have a fix for the buggy MDI/Ipod/USB interface.. so far no issues!

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
I'm a systems engineer so when my Fender stereo with RNS510 head unit failed reading my ipod or SSD drive I installed a SSD drive with the mdi/usb cable when my ipod was failing 6 times/day during the ride to/from work, I got really annoyed. A stereo that sounded real good that had issues right when I was getting into listening to my Blues collection. I figured it had to be jitter or noise on the USB line so I took a usb to device cable, exposed the signal wires and ground,connected my SSD drive, took out my oscilloscope and saw lots of noise.. the data had noise everywhere . Instead of modifying the bus and voiding my warranty I bought an inline usb noise filter. I attached my 140gb SATA Solid State disk with usb port to the inline filter and the inline filter to the MDI->usb cable buttoned up my glove box and started up the car with MDI selected. The hard drive was detected and started to play songs in my selected playlist. Usually to get the ipod or SSD to play I wouild have to listen to another source of music, wait 5 minutes, then select the MDI interface and it would work for 20 minutes or so and the mdi play would stop and the mdi device would no longer show up on the screen. Well.. 1 week since I've installed the usb inline noise filter and NO PROBLEM AT ALL. I connected my test usb cable again between the mdi/usb and the usb ssd drive, looked at the signal and I didn't see the noise.. just clean usb data.

I'm not saying go out and get a filter. We all know how annoying our stock radios can be. I will update this feed in a week to let you know if it's still stable. Then you can decide if you want to get a filter or wait longer... like a month or so. I will be updating this thread. MyTDI is my daily driver and primary vehicle for road trips. So I listen to my music collection often.

The device is called the Jitterbug USB filter by AudioQuest. I purchased it from Crutchfield but you can get it from Amazon too. it cost me $48.00. So far no problem at all. :cool:

I hope this is a fix for our pain in the ass MDI interface.
I plan on testing my ipod with the usb->ipod cable to the inline filter sometime at the end of the month.