I am in the process of trading for a 1982 vw Westfalia diesel and putting a bew 1.9 in

aptostdi

TDI
2005 golf tdi, 1982 Westfalia disel( tdi) swap in the future
I am trading for a 1.6 powered 1982 vw Westfalia diesel and found a 2005 vw Jetta tdi (bew). I was wondering what I should pull from the donor car. I was going to upgrade the cam and lifters. Which one are the best to use.From what I learned I need to keep the oil pan, oil pump, and right side motor mount from the old set up. I will put some pictures and updates while they come about. Thanks for the help.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
The "conversion" forum section is an excellant place to keep your progress updated and viewed by more that have interest in such projects. Member Andy Bees has converted some year/version of a van to a (ALH) TDI. He is a great source of info and photos.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 Passat Wagon: RIP Chief Boy :-( 2013 JSW 6MT
i'm no expert on conversions, but i do know a thing or two about vans and what i can tell you is this: most people use an ALH or 1Z because it can be done without drive by wire and many established conversion kits are out there.

should you choose to do the BEW you will need to use ALL of the electronics including the pedals and instrument clustster AND you will have to "trick" the electronics into thinking that everything is ok.

the thing you have going for you is the van diesel mounting system and that is about it. search thesamba.com for more detailed info. it can and has been done and in fact, people are mounting CR engines these days....just not as easily as the older engines.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI
Talk to @Franko6 for an upgraded cam and lifters. I don't think the oil pan from the 1.6 will fit on the bew engine... They're different. Now the older ahu/1z is the same oil pan pattern. The oil pump is also different, as the 1.6 used a shaft driven one that's run off the intermediate shaft, same as the 1z/ahu TDI, but the alh/bew/bhw are different as well.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Not a BEW, but about all the pointers you'll need in the conversion ...... (proven and tested over 85k miles) (see Link below)

As indicated in the Thread, addressing the Vanagon Transmission is VERY IMPORTANT. The Transmission in your 82 Vanagon with the 1.6 is extremely low-geared and will require your Engine to spin way beyond 4000 RPMs at 70 MPH....

The Transmission Codes for 1982 Diesel Vanagon

DM, DS <<<<<<<< Require roughly 4375 RPMs at 70 MPH (using OE Vanagon 14" Rims and stock tires, 185/75R/12)
DY, DZ, 6D <<<<<< Require roughly 4750 RPMs at 70 MPH (using OE Vanagon 14" Rims and stock tires, 185/75R/14)

Where to find the Code is on the first page of the link below.

Also, I have an interactive Excel Spreadsheet that illustrates the results of various Vanagon transmissions. It allows you to "plug-in" different rim/tire sizes, gearing, RPMs, etc ......... it provides extremely realistic real world on the ground results!