I am doing a injection pump seal replacement today, Any pro tips?

vol4til3

TDI
golf 4
I am changing the seals because its leaking like crazy and ruining my fuel economy, I also hate the smell of diesel every time I open my bonnet,

I am just looking for advice what to do and not do and what to look out for just in case a rookie like me ruins things.

the pump

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I am changing the seals because its leaking like crazy and ruining my fuel economy, I also hate the smell of diesel every time I open my bonnet,

I am just looking for advice what to do and not do and what to look out for just in case a rookie like me ruins things.

Watch videos a few times before you attempt to do it on your pump

the pump

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I assume a VE pump? Clean things very well before disassembly, particularly around the pump head where you can’t see. A paint pencil mark before scribing lines to relocate the QA makes them easier to read. The same for marking the bolts that fasten it on.
Clean clean clean

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Where in particular is it leaking from?

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Diesel will degrade rubber hoses. After you finish and clean everything up, check the hoses under the pump that got diesel on them -- you will probably need to replace them.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Diesel will degrade rubber hoses. After you finish and clean everything up, check the hoses under the pump that got diesel on them -- you will probably need to replace them.
Yeah I'd say inspect and keep an eye on them. If a coolant pipe simply swells up, it may shrink back down to its normal size once diesel stops leaking onto it, but if a pipe turns into a sticky black mess, I'd say it's best to replace it.