Hyundai showing TDI owners a little love

galoot

TDI
'13 Passat TDI
Went to check out a plugin and hybrid sonata. With the incentives Hyundai is offering, it's hard not to buy one. Almost 10g's off sticker.

Dealer wants to move the remaining 16's. He told me take the plugin home for the weekend. It's sitting in my driveway now. It's a nice ride.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Went to check out a plugin and hybrid sonata. With the incentives Hyundai is offering, it's hard not to buy one. Almost 10g's off sticker.

Dealer wants to move the remaining 16's. He told me take the plugin home for the weekend. It's sitting in my driveway now. It's a nice ride.
If you buy it, let us know the discount you get. Thanks!

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
I always like the Hyundai marketing department giving their cars southwestern names, like Santa Fe and Tucson.
My favorite is the Kia Sorento. Trying to target the Italian community. Except that the beautiful town in Italy is spelled with 2 r's.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
I've ridden in a few high mile Sonatas and they literally feel like a bag of bolts. The structure creaks, suspension bangs...horrible. Of course these may have been poorly maintained, but even a non-maintained VW with 100K on it would feel worlds better.

Maybe that doesn't matter to a lot of buyers, but I don't think any cars in VW's price range are as pleasant to own for the long haul.
Bag of bolts adequately describes my 2014 Beetle with 24k miles. Clean carfax, was a 1-owner lease turn-in, no accidents. Both doors rattle with the windows up or down. Windows rattle constantly in the "closed" position. Front and rear suspension squeeks. Hatch rattles over most bumps. But the plastic center console/armrest is the creme da la creme! I think they put that in there just to drown out all the other rattles.

My 2015 Jetta has a couple minor rattles, but mostly it just feels a bit cheap and flimsy.

My 2009 JSW (130k miles) and 2010 Jetta (85k miles) are both built like tanks though. VW quality has gone down a steep hill, but I bet you could make a similar claim across many brands the last several years.

Roishe Cheng

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
People are sleeping on Hyundai. Test drove a 2016 Santa Fe 7 seater Ultimate. Really nice for the price point. Fly a lot for business and always get a Sonata. Their head unit with Apple CarPlay integration that is lighting fast makes my RNS-510 feel like a Pentium 486 (backup camera takes forever to activate it seems).

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
People are sleeping on Hyundai. Test drove a 2016 Santa Fe 7 seater Ultimate. Really nice for the price point. Fly a lot for business and always get a Sonata. Their head unit with Apple CarPlay integration that is lighting fast makes my RNS-510 feel like a Pentium 486 (backup camera takes forever to activate it seems).
I will preface my comment by stating that we kept our son's 2011 Santa Fe for over a year while he and his family were overseas. It was a solid, serviceable car, easy to maintain, and Hyundai has a great warranty.
Now for my comment: it's an SUV, not a driver's vehicle, basically a living room on wheels. It doesn't bear comparison to the cars we would be exchanging it for. Someone has suggested the Genesis as a possible replacement for our Passat, but at $41K new, it's pretty much of a stretch.....

JimGarb

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav
My wife and I had put a deposit on a Sonata Plug-in hybrid a few weeks ago before this was announced. Went back Saturday night and they took another $2k off the price. Just waiting on the buyback to occur.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
For those who are thinking about the Hyundai offer to VW owners - I have some input.
I own a 2013 Passat TDI SEL. My wife owns a 2014 Kia Optima Hybrid (kia version of the Sonata).
Both of our cars average about 37 MPG in mixed driving.
The Optima is a nice car. LOTS of bells and whistles. Heated steering wheel, heated and cooled seats both front and back. Even has an app that sends engine error codes or even where you have parked directly to your cell phone.
If I were to look for a replacement from KIA, I would very much suggest to check out the NIRO. It's built on the new platform that allows then to build hybrid, plugin and full electric versions of the cars. The Kia version is called the NIRO and is a CUV.

Kia has done a good job designing hybrids that don't look like ****e, and this comes from hiring former VW designers.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
Except the Niro is not currently available...

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
Can you combine this offer if you also have another Hyundai? My dad's lease on his Sonata is about to end in December so how would this work since I'm currently an owner of my TDI? Can that be combined or would I have to be the co-signer of a lease he would get into in order to qualify for more incentives?

keith102

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6spd
My wife and I had put a deposit on a Sonata Plug-in hybrid a few weeks ago before this was announced. Went back Saturday night and they took another $2k off the price. Just waiting on the buyback to occur.

How did you like the power of the Sonata Hybrid compared to your Diesel? I went and test drove the Accord Hybrid, Fusion Hybrid and Sonata Hybrid yesterday. Of the 3 the Sonata felt the best. Still I was expecting more from the combined ~270 ft lbs torque of the gas/electric motor. I'm comparing this to a Malone stage 1 Passat tdi which feels quick in comparison. I'm not sure how the Sonata Hybrid is going to handle towing my trackbikes and trailer (~1500 lbs). Surprisingly there were a limited number of hybrids locally. 1 Sonata (no plug in version), 1 Fusion, couple of Accords and 0 Chevy Malibu at the dealers I visited yesterday. Seems with gas ~$2/gal the demand just isn't there and dealers are running short of supply.

ChimneyJim

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 SportWagen SEL
Can you combine this offer if you also have another Hyundai? My dad's lease on his Sonata is about to end in December so how would this work since I'm currently an owner of my TDI? Can that be combined or would I have to be the co-signer of a lease he would get into in order to qualify for more incentives?

You would have to be listed as a buyer. I was at Hyundai on Friday helping my parents with a Santa Fe and asked this question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
You would have to be listed as a buyer. I was at Hyundai on Friday helping my parents with a Santa Fe and asked this question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah okay, appreciate the info.

JimGarb

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav
How did you like the power of the Sonata Hybrid compared to your Diesel? I went and test drove the Accord Hybrid, Fusion Hybrid and Sonata Hybrid yesterday. Of the 3 the Sonata felt the best. Still I was expecting more from the combined ~270 ft lbs torque of the gas/electric motor. I'm comparing this to a Malone stage 1 Passat tdi which feels quick in comparison. I'm not sure how the Sonata Hybrid is going to handle towing my trackbikes and trailer (~1500 lbs). Surprisingly there were a limited number of hybrids locally. 1 Sonata (no plug in version), 1 Fusion, couple of Accords and 0 Chevy Malibu at the dealers I visited yesterday. Seems with gas ~$2/gal the demand just isn't there and dealers are running short of supply.
Hi Keith,

I'm coming from a stock Jetta TDI with DSG. While the combined HP on the Sonata Plug-In Hybrid is 202HP it felt a less torquey in combined mode than the TDI. All electric was almost on-point with that. It's definitely a much heavier car with the battery and the electric motor. I specifically went for the Sonata because it has a normal automatic transmission and I absolutely could not stand the CVT Camry Hybrid I test drove. The shifts are smooth and correct. When you really step on it, the combined forces come alive and it picks up adequately. That being said it doesn't compare to the DSG which is the first automatic I ever absolutely enjoyed.

We had also tried the Non-Plug-In Sonata Hybrid and enjoyed that until I started doing reading about the Plug-In.

It may not be good for your towing. I would check to see what Hyundai has to say.

ses310

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
We just took advantage of the deals on the outgoing 2016's (4k cash off instead of the 2k cash off on 2017's). A dealer close to us is dealer trading a Sonata hybrid in for us in the color and "limited edition" trim we wanted. The "local" dealer in our town really dropped the ball on this. Hyundai isn't really advertising the VW deal, although they did notify all their dealers about it. Our local dealer insisted they couldn't find any info on it and was really lazy about responding our request to check into it for us...sheesh, it was a done deal. We were ready to buy either a '16 or '17 from them, even though the sales people we dealt with there were idiots (and that's being nice). I gave them 'til the end of the day, and later drove to the next closest dealer...totally different experience.

The business mgr there (dealer 2) was not up on all the details, as I was the first to approach them on the VW deal. He looked at all the info I had on it, took a look at the info on the web, did his best, that night, to compare to the info he had from Hyundai, to give me a price...to be verified with Hyundai corporate the next day. He also did his best to find all discounts that we could use and stack. Bottom line was that the vw deal was worth a little over 2k, plus 4k discount on 2016, plus 1k competitive car discount. An msrp car with a price of about 31k for less than 23k, so I think we did ok.

BTW, before we got a chance to drive the Sonata, we were convinced we wanted a Malibu hybird (also a very nice car). The Sonata is in many ways, just as nice, may have a little better reliability, has a longer warranty, and was thousands cheaper than we could get the Malibu.

In our car search, we also drove the Honda Accord (gas), Toyota Corolla, Camry and Camry hybrid, Nissan Altima, Ford Focus, and sat in a bunch of others. Seat comfort and ride on trips is big for us, and we found to get a car that was as comfortable as our '15 Golf we had to go with a midsized car with premium interior. That says a lot for our base trim Golf. I'm gonna miss it, but it's time for a change for us.

So my lesson learned from our car shopping is, if you're interested in this Hyundai VW deal, do your homework first and get an idea of what the price should be before you shop. Insist on a break down of the pricing discounts (dealer #1 didn't even admit they didn't do anything with the VW discount until we pressed them and asked for details on the price they gave us). If the dealer doesn't seem to want to sell you a car and do the necessary work to get the VW promotion for you, go somewhere else, where the customer service is better.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
We just took advantage of the deals on the outgoing 2016's (4k cash off instead of the 2k cash off on 2017's). A dealer close to us is dealer trading a Sonata hybrid in for us in the color and "limited edition" trim we wanted. The "local" dealer in our town really dropped the ball on this. Hyundai isn't really advertising the VW deal, although they did notify all their dealers about it. Our local dealer insisted they couldn't find any info on it and was really lazy about responding our request to check into it for us...sheesh, it was a done deal. We were ready to buy either a '16 or '17 from them, even though the sales people we dealt with there were idiots (and that's being nice). I gave them 'til the end of the day, and later drove to the next closest dealer...totally different experience.

The business mgr there (dealer 2) was not up on all the details, as I was the first to approach them on the VW deal. He looked at all the info I had on it, took a look at the info on the web, did his best, that night, to compare to the info he had from Hyundai, to give me a price...to be verified with Hyundai corporate the next day. He also did his best to find all discounts that we could use and stack. Bottom line was that the vw deal was worth a little over 2k, plus 4k discount on 2016, plus 1k competitive car discount. An msrp car with a price of about 31k for less than 23k, so I think we did ok.

BTW, before we got a chance to drive the Sonata, we were convinced we wanted a Malibu hybird (also a very nice car). The Sonata is in many ways, just as nice, may have a little better reliability, has a longer warranty, and was thousands cheaper than we could get the Malibu.

In our car search, we also drove the Honda Accord (gas), Toyota Corolla, Camry and Camry hybrid, Nissan Altima, Ford Focus, and sat in a bunch of others. Seat comfort and ride on trips is big for us, and we found to get a car that was as comfortable as our '15 Golf we had to go with a midsized car with premium interior. That says a lot for our base trim Golf. I'm gonna miss it, but it's time for a change for us.

So my lesson learned from our car shopping is, if you're interested in this Hyundai VW deal, do your homework first and get an idea of what the price should be before you shop. Insist on a break down of the pricing discounts (dealer #1 didn't even admit they didn't do anything with the VW discount until we pressed them and asked for details on the price they gave us). If the dealer doesn't seem to want to sell you a car and do the necessary work to get the VW promotion for you, go somewhere else, where the customer service is better.
Thanks, nice work on getting the deal. It's kind of early in the del making game with this VW stuff so it's good to be prepared, like you were.

Would you be kind enough to list the names of discounts you got so one can be knowledgeable as to what to look for?

Thanks

blaster668

TDI
2012 Jetta
What kind of documentation of TDI ownership does Hyundai require? I owned a 2012 TDI Jetta that I traded in pre-scandal. I am now looking for another vehicle, and am just curious if I qualify for this program.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
I was looking at 2016 hybrid limited MSRP @ $35,705 , with all the discount @26,097 What kind of pricing are you guys getting?

Tdi_jetta64

TDI
2013 jetta
So here is a story. I found a hybrid sonata where the dealer asking price was 26,200. I mentioned the vw discount and they asked for my vin and a couple other questions. They said they needed to call corporate to get the discount. The dealer calls me back in 4 hours and says after the discount the privlce of the car is 28500. Then asks when i can make it in to buy the car....i flipped out on the salesman. He still couldnt explain how with the discount i ended up paying more for the car but he did blame it on vw..

ses310

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
So here is a story. I found a hybrid sonata where the dealer asking price was 26,200. I mentioned the vw discount and they asked for my vin and a couple other questions. They said they needed to call corporate to get the discount. The dealer calls me back in 4 hours and says after the discount the privlce of the car is 28500. Then asks when i can make it in to buy the car....i flipped out on the salesman. He still couldnt explain how with the discount i ended up paying more for the car but he did blame it on vw..

Kind of odd. Either they had one heck of a price on it to begin with or...?

The VW deal works like this...You start at MSRP. Calculate what 3% of that is. Then find out dealer invoice is. To that, you have to add destination charges and advertising cost (don't know what that is, but they do, and I think destination is around $800ish). Then subtract the 3% figure you came out with above. Then subtract the V-plan cash amount ($1250). After that, you can subtract the cash off deal they are doing this month ($2000 off of 2017 cars or $4000 off of 2016 cars). You can then subtract the competitor's car discount, which is $1000 this month.

When looking at Hyundai's, I found dealer's advertising prices all over the place. In some cases, they included destination, some not (though you know you would end up paying it in the end). Some included the Hyundai cash discounts. Some advertised military discounts in their pricing (which you would only qualify for if you were active military), etc. In my case, when the business mgr at the dealership figured the pricing with the VW package, it came in around $1500 lower than the lowest price he could do otherwise, including their various dealer discount pricing options. It might actually be better than that, if his "best" price without the VW deal, included the destination charge or it was added to it after...not sure as I didn't ask him.

Last edited:

Sean2002

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6MT
The 2017 Elantra sport looks pretty good on paper and the price is very attractive. I haven't driven it yet, but will try to soon.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
From an earlier post:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5165649#post5165649
Originally Posted by Yankinwaoz View Post
Some of my co-workers have bought Hyundais over the last 4 years and seem to be pretty damned pleased with them. Zero complaints and nothing but praise so far.
^^ +1
This week we drove a Sonota Sport. With 185 hp @ 6000 rpm and 178 lbs-ft @ 4000 the 2.4 non-turbo engine was responsive but perhaps a bit under-powered for a car of this size. I'm sure the 2.0 turbo engine with 245 hp @ 6000 & 260 lbs-ft @ 1350-4000 would have been much more entertaining.
The trans shifted crisply, like a DSG, tho Hyundai calls it a 6-spd AT w/Shiftronic on their website. The shift mode button (normal, eco, sport) is placed at the rear of the shift boot rather than alongside... awkward to reach. The Elantra layout is much better.
The chassis was competent with good damping and sway control...perhaps not up to VW or Mazda standards but the car went where you pointed it, with little or no theatrics when pushed around turns. It was quiet, smooth and comfortable at freeway speeds.
The car is spacious like a Passat and comfortable tho we both would have appreciated a bit more seat bolster support above the knees.
Value wise, the car has lots of content you'd pay extra for with a similarly-priced competitor. Would we buy one? Perhaps not but I can see where a large chunk of buying public would regard them as desirable.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Hyundai makes nice boring cars, nice but boring. You got to love they back it with a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty.
I drove Subaru and Acura (Honda) for so long. I enjoyed both but saturated on Japanese cars. Korea is not Japan, but....

Driving my JSW for another 6-10 years or more. Unless something happens another 3 years and 120K miles on OD is my bare min....
Brand new tires, struts shocks and Westfalia Hitch... I am not getting out of it for awhile.

Last edited:

cracklepop

TDI
2009 Jetta sedan, manual trans.
I spoke with a sales manager at my local hyundai dealer about the VW deal they were offering and this is what she sent me:

"Thank you for your interest on the 2017 Santa fe Sport at Future Hyundai of Concord. It was so nice talking to you. I sent car details for you. If you like to have different options, please let me know.

MSRP on this vehicle is : $ 37,890
Your Price is $31,474.15 after all incentives
."

I probably won't go hyundai, even though my father in law loves his. I definitely won't buy a subaru. There is a 2004 TDI Jetta wagon for sale that has had a lot of good maintenance but they want $8400 down from $9500. I've been watching that one since the summer and they won't budge.

CoolTeacher

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
I am purchasing a Santa Fe Sport 2017 as my TDI replacement. I was quoted $21700 online for one with Cargo and Popular Equipment Packages (original $28k). When i went to that same dealer today I was quoted $17700 plus tax (so $19500 out the door) for the exact same car. Just an FYI for anyone looking at a similar vehicle.

jholmgren

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Last month I picked up a CPO 2013 Sonata Hybrid Limited with just under 40k miles on it for $16k.
I get the balance of the 10/100 powertrain warranty, roadside assist and 4/50 Bumper to Bumper.
Very pleased with it so far - averaging about 38MPG (mostly highway for me) and while it doesn't have the torque that the Passat does, it has no problem getting out of its own way.
Love the tech package and panoramic moonroof. I also like that my rearview camera comes on in less than the 5 minutes it seems to take for my Passat. :p

14 TDI JET

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Just purchased a 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited no Ultimate package. Got a great deal, MSRP of 31,260 and paid 24,800 out the door, no trade in, sales tax is 6% here.

My experience with the dealers have been absolutely horrible. I dont know if this is Hyundai corporate dropping the ball on announcing the plan or the dealers trying to make up money in markup. The dealerships say they have no idea about the plan and will ask you for a pin. Tell them to log into Hyundai circle website, enter there dealer pin and create a v plan certificate. The pin will come from that certificate. Be forceful and they will eventually do it.

Make sure to do the math with them line by line. The dealer I went to was trying to hide $1,500 in markup.