Hypermiling the 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDi and 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Hypermiling the 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDi and 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI

We'll admit it, we've been teases this week. Two forbidden diesels and nary a whisper of fuel economy. Well, today you get the goods. We aren't going to give you the standard "this is what we got in the city and this is what we got on the highway" spiel, beccause you can find that anywhere. Officially, the Civic does about 41/56, Q7 does 19/21. Booorrr-ing. What we're going to do is hypermile these cars. Although, much like Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men, we're not sure you can handle the truth. To be perfectly honest, we were shocked ourselves. Shocked and giddy, like a bunch of little girls splashing around in a pool of glistening diesel. Before you click through and watch the video, we need to lay down some facts. What we did can be repeated by anyone. There were no tricks, no cheats. Hell, we didn't even make that much of an effort. The footage you're about to enjoy isn't necessarily exciting, but from an engineering standpoint, it's smack-you-in-the-mouth amazing.

Stop! Stop the video right now. I know it's tempting to run it, but we need to tell you exactly what we did first, by the numbers, so you can fully grasp the dramatic results. On the way to and from the Chicago Auto Show--overlooking the comedic jackassery Ray provided--our mission was to see how high we could push the mileage on these cars while driving them in the manner of a your average skinflint consumer. We hacked nothing off the cars to reduce weight, and we added no special taping or streamlining to enhance the aerodynamics. In fact, we really didn't do nuthin' to enhance the mileage capabilities of these rides. As for go juice, the newly de rigeur low-sulfer diesel fuel, as sanctioned by the EPA, was used in all tests. Same stuff you get when you pull up to the pump.

The 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDi was tested under what we considered a "normal use" situation, one occupant (myself), with a weekend suitcase and a computer bag. The 2007 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI was tested with myself as the driver and the same cargo setup, but with the addition of our esteemed videographer, Mr. Mark Arnold, and his gear. Again, we recognize we didn't subject these vehicles to precisely the same conditions, but to conditions we consider the average load for each.
route.jpg
The route to Chicago we chose testing the Civic was notably unexciting. We set aside a roughly 105 mile path between the easternmost convenience plaza after the I-69, Toll Road 80/90 interchange, and the Portage convenience plaza. For reasons of personal incompetence, the eastbound return trip occurred between the same Portage convenience plaza and the first northbound I-69 exit after the the 80/90 to I-69 interchange. The only techniques in play where a judicious use of the gas pedal, coasting (for the manual-transmissioned Civic), and drafting behind semis, which was done at a safe but useful two-to-three car lengths. Jalopnik and Gawker Media in no way endorse tailgating semis, so copy this experiment at your own risk.

Now, restart the video.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, we know, 72.4 mpg is bat**** cazy, but settle down, 'cause you haven't heard the Q7 numbers. Would you believe that a power plant capable of 550 lb.ft. of torque and a 6.4s 0-62 mph time, lugging around 5100 lbs and two svelte bloggers, returned 33.2 mpg? What was that about not handling the truth? Below are the conditions and calculations:
mileage%20calculations.jpg
We are aware the gallons of fuel on the video for the Civic doesn't match with the calculation above, but we gave it a second squeeze and the final result was what you see. We have the goddamn receipts, skeptics. Soooo, the upshot? Here we have two stock vehicles you can't get in the US, delivering what everybody in their right mind would call impossible mileage, with little effort under less than ideal conditions. What does that mean to us? Well, it means all that bellyaching from automakers about unachievable CAFE targets and the less competitive, unsafe vehicles that would come from high targets is total, unadulterated bull-pucky. The solution to this pressing mileage-target legislation is an absolute no-brainer: Drop a diesel in everybody's lap and call it a day. 35 mpg from a passenger car should be child's play, if done right. This test only confirms--and frankly stokes--our burning desire for good, fun-to-drive, economical diesels on American roads. So where are they? They're elsewhere in the world. But here in the land of freedom and opportunity, the righteous and patriotic boosters of decent mileage numbers are forced to make do with runty gas-burners and do-gooder hybrids that don't exactly reward on the performance front. The times, they gotta change, and there's no reason they can't change like, um, right now.

NETHED

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI (Gone...but not forgotten)
Before anybody mentions how UNSCIENTIFIC this is, remember, the average driver is not going to vent the tank, is not going to wait for the diesel to settle, and they are certainly not going to drive to the same pump to get consistant results.

I think this video is very useful to point out two things,
#1 the diesel revolution is gaining significant steam,
#2 the average consumer will buy a car that does 40+ mpg and like it

That said, I doubt highly the 72mpg figure though...

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
TDIMeister said:
...Here we have two stock vehicles you can't get in the US, delivering what everybody in their right mind would call impossible mileage, with little effort under less than ideal conditions. What does that mean to us? Well, it means all that bellyaching from automakers about unachievable CAFE targets and the less competitive, unsafe vehicles that would come from high targets is total, unadulterated bull-pucky. The solution to this pressing mileage-target legislation is an absolute no-brainer: Drop a diesel in everybody's lap and call it a day. 35 mpg from a passenger car should be child's play, if done right. This test only confirms--and frankly stokes--our burning desire for good, fun-to-drive, economical diesels on American roads. So where are they? They're elsewhere in the world. But here in the land of freedom and opportunity, the righteous and patriotic boosters of decent mileage numbers are forced to make do with runty gas-burners and do-gooder hybrids that don't exactly reward on the performance front. The times, they gotta change, and there's no reason they can't change like, um, right now.
That sums it up quite well...

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
Cool very cool :cool:, now if only we could get half of America to watch and believe... If only they would listen...:(

Over 30mpg from a V8 SUV is what would really sell most Americans on diesel.

For the rest of us with our heads on straight arround 60-70mpg in a Civic or Polo would be awsome!

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
TDIMeister said:
Here we have two stock vehicles you can't get in the US, delivering what everybody in their right mind would call impossible mileage, with little effort under less than ideal conditions. What does that mean to us?
It means to us [in North America CAD/USA] that if we consume far less fuel China will sit on the board of OPEC and demand more fuel supplied to them at any cost so they can develop further their economy.

It's very simple math. If North American does not continue to consume HUGE amounts of crude oil, refined oil and baby oil ...the land of China will take what ever runs off and is not needed by us.

Math?

Logic.

Consume and we control.

BrianCT:D

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
BrianCT said:
It's very simple math. If North American does not continue to consume HUGE amounts of crude oil, refined oil and baby oil ...the land of China will take what ever runs off and is not needed by us.

Math?

Logic.
Jeez. And I thought I was cynical. Glad the smiley was there.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Folks: one of the compelling reasons WHY the US car manufacturers do not want to produce and sell passenger vehicles with diesels with high MPG and longevity is that they fear that people will not want to replace them as soon, thus LOWERING annual sales. Volume sales has been the key to success for US car compaines for many years.

Racer007

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I am curious about the gearing of these vehicles compared to our TDIs. Does any one know what the RPMs would be at 60 MPH on either of these?

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Isn't it kind of hard to draw a conclusion from a 105 mile test? Wouldn't it be more indicative of economy to go 400 miles and see how they fare? 200 miles each way-who's to say the wind wasn't at their back? That will definitely up the mileage.

AndyH96Z

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, dark grey
While I do agree with you that a 105 mile trip isn't enough distance to be truly definitive, the Civic shouldn't have had the wind at it's back since it was driving from east to west.

Thunderstruck said:
Isn't it kind of hard to draw a conclusion from a 105 mile test? Wouldn't it be more indicative of economy to go 400 miles and see how they fare? 200 miles each way-who's to say the wind wasn't at their back? That will definitely up the mileage.

A2A3

TDI
'99 A3 Jetta '98 A3 Jetta '97 B4V Passat
SBAtdijetta said:
Cool very cool :cool:, now if only we could get half of America to watch and believe... If only they would listen...:(

Over 30mpg from a V8 SUV is what would really sell most Americans on diesel.

For the rest of us with our heads on straight arround 60-70mpg in a Civic or Polo would be awsome!
here ya go!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=193194&highlight=Johnathan+Goodwin

If you missed this, it's a pretty interesting read. I'd love to meet this guy.
Might have to make a run out to Kansas one of these days. Sounds like my kind of crazy.

Phil

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
LOL! As they are fueling the Audi, the attendant asks if they are sure they want diesel.