Hybridized Turbo's

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
Last summer my GT22v was destroyed at the drags.Let go with a loud bang at 99mph,still got an et of 14.5.
No parts available in NA for a GT22v,that was the answer from two turbo rebuilders.Crap, what do I do now? Did some research ,found out that a MB Sprinter [2.7 Diesel] also uses a GT22v.There is a local rebuilder in St Thomas Ontario who I went to see about my GT22v ,during our discussion He mentioned that a tech from a dealer had a turbo off a sprinter and wanted to use it for a project,one problem was that it uses a stepper motor to control the vanes, so much for his project.This turbo was aquired and the parts from it were fit into my housings with some modifications.
So now I have my turbo back ready for this season coming up.
The owner goes under the name :CHERRY TURBOS,his name is Herman and is very knowlegeable and works on any turbo you can think of ,from snow mobiles to earthmovers etc.
He can be reached at www.cherryturbos.com

info@cherryturbos.com

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
I am using that compressor (Gt22v) with a vnt-20 turbine/shaft in a vnt-17 exhaust side housing and vnt-20 compressor housing. Took a little creative machining, but it works ok. Makes a wicked holset-like whine when it spools... :cool:

Just have the shop machine the compressor housing to accept that compressor and the heck with the rest of it. Just use a stock vnt-15 turbo for the rest of it. Maybe use the Gt-22v compressor housing, too, but I think it's too big to fit in the car- it interferes with the exhaust manifold (if I remember correctly)

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
I would never use vnt-15 or any small turbine in a drag-racer. You don't wanna create a lot of exhaust manifold pressure and choke the engine at high rpm.
MB gt2256v turbine and compressor in the VAG gt22v housing will be awesome. The turbines are almost identical in both turbos, but the 56mm compressor will be much happier at high boost levels than the 52mm VAG compressor. DD, thumbs up for the coming season and keep us informed!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Gerry, I'm very excited about what the upcoming season will bring for you and your Caddy! Let's hope this turbo doesn't get munched too. For the record, to others following the development of Gerry's truck, the failure mode of the original GT22V was traced to the VNT actuator rod being misaligned and binding (correct me if I'm mistaken about anything). This was because the turbo was clocked to a completely different orientation from original to fit into Gerry's truck. So it wasn't something inherent to the fact that it is a VNT turbo that caused the failure. Gerry will make sure this doesn't happen again, and I believe he also plans to augment the current setup with an external WG.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Geez, Gerry...when you go Frankenstein, you go all out. I am still yet to take a ride in your truck...lol...was waiting until the thing is totally road worthy. :D I hope to see your caddy in action this summer...Maybe a 12s TDI brewing? ;) (yeah, I know...lets not jump to conclusions)

I hope it all works out...and at least you are learning from the mistakes made so far.

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
Please help with exact Garrett part number

TDIfreak said:
I would never use vnt-15 or any small turbine in a drag-racer. You don't wanna create a lot of exhaust manifold pressure and choke the engine at high rpm.
MB gt2256v turbine and compressor in the VAG gt22v housing will be awesome. The turbines are almost identical in both turbos, but the 56mm compressor will be much happier at high boost levels than the 52mm VAG compressor. DD, thumbs up for the coming season and keep us informed!

Folks,

I am trying to find out an exact number for GT2252V or GT2256V turbine that would fit in place of a GT2052V turbine on my 2.5V6 TDI (163bhp)
I know part number of the existing GT2052V turbine, it is
454135-0010 (VW number) 059145701S

I need the long number for GT2252V or GT2256V turbine that would fit the manifold/inlet/outlet best, I guess the oil lines might require adapter.

Can you help please?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
This is my VT2 turbo. Hybrid of a vnt20 off a 2.5 and a 1.9 manifold. Was a tidy bit of hybridising. :D

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Jason As i've confirmed with Allard the VT2 is a vnt17 and not the vnt20.

There's also the 320 cdi MB which uses the GT2259v an X5 that uses the GT2256v another X5 that uses the GT2260v and 2 Grand Cherokee's one of which uses the GT2256v and another that uses a Tfo35 which may a jap vnt equivalent.....and last but not least another MB 320cdi that uses the GT2359v...........this turbo and the others i have mentioned can be bought from a company i know of which sells all these turbo's brand new......i repeat brand new and not chopped down or re-intermixed as someone who has already posted on this thread may have suggested.

The MB 320 cdi GT2360v can be bought from said company for £442 exchange or a £100 sur-charge...........most of the others have a £650 to £1000 price tag with 12months warranty or will be repaired which ever.

Last edited:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
This company also does a full recon kit consisting of all gaskets/seals , studs , bolts and washers if need be..........and also part kit of either 1 or 2 items.

Last edited:

faboka

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia vRS TDI PD130
mojogoes said:
Jason As i've confirmed with Allard the VT2 is a vnt17 and not the vnt20.

There's also the 320 cdi MB which uses the GT2259v an X5 that uses the GT2256v another X5 that uses the GT2260v and 2 Grand Cherokee's one of which uses the GT2256v and another that uses a Tfo35 which may a jap vnt equivalent.....and last but not least another MB 320cdi that uses the GT2359v...........this turbo and the others i have mentioned can be bought from a company i know of which sells all these turbo's brand new......i repeat brand new and not chopped down or re-intermixed as someone who has already posted on this thread may have suggested.

The MB 320 cdi GT2360v can be bought from said company for £442 exchange or a £100 sur-charge...........most of the others have a £650 to £1000 price tag with 12months warranty or will be repaired which ever.
I take it these would need a special manifold, intake pipe, downpipe, intercooler piping?