Hybrid oil pan install onto VE TDI (HOW-TO)

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
This outlines the modifications necessary to make the hybrid oil pan repair kit for the 2.0L gas engine (1JM198601T) fit onto a VE TDI engine. This isn't a direct fit because there is interference with the a/c compressor.

What you'll need:
  • 10 mm socket
  • Metalnerd wobble oil pan bit
  • Dremel with a carbide tip for grinding/wire brush for deburring
  • Sealent (I used Permatex "The Right Stuff")
  • Magnetic pickup tool (to hold bolts in place/retrive bolts dropped between the oil pan and transmission
    )
Here are a couple pictures of the hybrid oil pan:

This next picture shows where the interferences are. The circled one is the immediate problem. After taking care of it, the ones on the left and right show up.

Before I took the old pan off, I used my dremel and worked on the a/c compressor. Leaving the pan on protected the engine internals from the tiny splinters of aluminum. PLEASE WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN DOING THIS!!!!

Here's what the compressor looked like afterwards-

Next, I worked on the oil pan (PLEASE WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN DOING THIS!!!!)

After removing the old pan, I held the new one up and checked clearances (1/16"-1/8" should be fine). I deburred the compressor and oil pan and then applied some touchup primer and paint to the exposed steel.

Next, I applied the sealent as per the manufacturer's directions. I prefer "The Right Stuff" over VW's sealent because it's much easier to apply and it seems to work at least as well. Other members of this board recommend this too.

I bolted the pan to the engine as per the Bentley manual. A couple things to note:
  • The wobble oil pan bit MUST be used to install all the bolts behind the a/c compressor. If you don't, you'll end up with a stuck socket
  • For two of the bolts behind the compressor, you'll need to bring them in from the side of the pan and then screw them in. I used a magnetic pickup tool for this (see below). This will become quite obvious during the installation.

Here are two pictures of the pan after installation. The first one shows the clearance from the a/c compressor.

One other thing to note, I did install the new oil sump pickup tube that came with the kit. It looked the same as the one I removed from the car.

Based on these pictures, can someone verify if this will work on a PD?

Good luck!
Andy

Last edited:

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Hybrid oil pan install onto VE TDI

I bolted the pan to the engine as per the Bentley manual...
Great writeup. If you dont mind could you please elaborate a little more on this for me? I am going to be swapping my pan later this week and dont have a Bentley yet(waiting for the new version. 2 more weeks). Or could you atleast let me know what the torque specs are?

Thanks
Dave

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Re: Hybrid oil pan install onto VE TDI

1) Install oil pan-block bolts diagonally, leaving them loose
2) Install oil pan-transmission bolts snugly
3) Tighten oil pan-blocks bolts a little more, diagonally
4) Torque oil pan-transmission bolts to 33 ft-lbs
5) Torque oil pan-block bolts to 11 ft-lbs, diagonally

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

what is the ultimate purpose of this different design? Eliminate stripped threads? Superior rock bashing? what's it all about?

Nice pictures and write up, chemboy!

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI

what is the ultimate purpose of this different design?
From my point of view:
  • Cost - $63 from Impex - that's MUCH cheaper than a 100% aluminum pan (currently $153 from Impex)
  • Strength - the aluminum sides are buff! Compare it to the stock pan (first picture)...it's heavily reinforced
  • The steel pan is more likely to dent than break - good because you won't lose oil
There is a part number for the steel section, but Impex doesn't have a listing for it yet. I suspect in the future, you'll be able to buy it and the cost for an oil pan repair will be quite low.

--Andy

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

wow, the Al pans have really jumped in price...they used to be around $60.

That's pretty cool that you could just slap on a new steel section if needed. It looks like it eliminates the drain plug over-torquing issue, too - - not a bad thing

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle

Does this pan have any greater capacity?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

VW has issued a TSB concerning this hybrid pan:

Extended Descriptions for Item V170405

Technical Bulletins
Group: 17
Number: 04-05
Date Published: 12/03/2004

Subject:

Volkswagen Technical Bulletin Subject: Hybrid Oil Pan, Installing.

Model(s): Year(s): Jetta, New Beetle 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004
New Beetle Convertible 2003 2004

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M

does that mean that if we have a bug/jetta from those years, VW will install one of these pans for free? or is this just saying, this is what to do if a customer comes in with a holed oil pan...

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI

From PDJetta in "OEM Steel Oil Pan cover for 2004 PD":
I just saw a VW technical bulliten for this. The TSB is for installing this pan. It states to install this pan in place of pans damaged from road debris impacts and other damage "not covered by the vehicle warranty". Its called the "Hybrid Oil Pan" and its for 1999.5 to 2004 MY vehicles.

Part # 1JM 198 601 AA is for the 1.8 L and part # 1JM 198 601 T is for the 2.0 L I guess they are just specified for the gas engines. There is no listing for the 1.9 L TDI. The TSB States Hybrid pans consist of a two-piece aluminum/steel assembly.
I think calling it a TSB is incorrect. A technical circular is probably the correct term.

--Andy

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Aaron, it's just an alternate replacement once people have damaged their original pan - - there's no replacement (free) policy from VW.

2KJettaTDIGL

TDI
Jetta 2000 White
Re: Hybrid oil pan install onto VE TDI (HOW-TO)

Hey man. Is there any way you can send me those pics I can't see them. I'm swaping the aluminum pan "with a hole in it" held by JB WELD. I'm not sure what I'll need to grind on the a/c compressor.
Thanks alot

TDI Nut

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf, 99 Beetle
Does anyone know if any Fumoto Oil Valve fits onto this hybrid pan?

I tried using the one for the aluminum pan and it does not fit.

Amuk

TDI
Jetta GLS TDI, 2001, White
Cool, I'm so glad I found this. I had to JB Weld a couple cracks in my current pan. One of the cracks was near the oil drain plug so the drain plug wound up getting JB Welded to the pan. Now it is time to change the oil an the pan too.

Impex has this "new style" pan for $64.06. On the item page.

So now for my questions:
- Impex lists my car (Jetta 2001 TDI) under the Applications. But I'm still going to have to do the grinding...right?
- The image on the page shows a seperate pipe-like thing. What is this? Also, are there any special installation steps for the pipe-like thing (torque, sealant/gaskets, etc)?

Thanks so much...I'll be saving $60 bucks and, most likely, never going to have to replace the oil pan again because of you! Also, I'm no longer in need of replacing my skid plate with one of those aluminum ones at ~$300!

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
So now for my questions:
- Impex lists my car (Jetta 2001 TDI) under the Applications. But I'm still going to have to do the grinding...right?
I would be prepared to do a little grinding. What you can do is remove the old pan and try to fit the new one on. If you need to grind, I'd reattach the old one with a few bolts for protection.

- The image on the page shows a seperate pipe-like thing. What is this? Also, are there any special installation steps for the pipe-like thing (torque, sealant/gaskets, etc)?
That is the oil pump pickup. There is an o-ring that will come off with the old one - I reused it. I'm not positive on the torque values, but 10 ft-lbs comes to mind.

Good luck!
Andy

Amuk

TDI
Jetta GLS TDI, 2001, White
Just completed this job myself tonight. Went pretty easy and looks good (at least a lot better that the old flimsy pan with gobs of JB Weld on it).

Only question remaining: The old pan covered up and sealed the flywheel area. The new pan has gaps that leave the flywheel exposed. This is okay, right?

Thanks much!
Jason

suffeks

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GT TDi
so if i dont have A/C do i need to mod the oil pan? btw have a p/n for that oil pan? thanks

bungy74

Hi, i have a 2004 TDI jetta, tonite i hit a rock and craked the pan, knocked the drain plug and surrounding are comletely out of it. It is the BEW engine, will this hybrid pan fit my engine or just the ALH engines. I do not know what you guys mean by ve and PD when referring to these cars. Any help is much appreciated. Since i start a new job tomorrow, i am in a big hurry to fix this thing. THANKS Everyone for any advice !!

suffeks

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GT TDi
yep i got the p/n, oilpan should be in today. so hopefully with no a/c it will just bolt right in.

thanks

hsus2k

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2003, Silver
BTW, Hybrid pan is a little bit heavier than the stock Alum. pan

I was going to replace my pan as well with the Hybrid pan, since they were real cheap compare with the stock Alum. pan; and I could keep the stock one as a back up.
But after weighted some of the parts on my car. I'm back to the Original Alum. pan since it's lighter. I already have the DG Panzer Skid plate (which adds about 16 pounds!) So, I don't need to add an additional 3+lbs. when the Skid plate should save the pan from being damage?

Sorry! I'm just a bit crazy on weight reduction! Actually, (calculated) all the new preformance parts I'll be installing, (so, far) I only saved about 30 pounds. But the battery has been relocated to the rear. At least my wheel and tire combo is only about 36 pounds (vs, Stock 41-42 lb). So will my Wilwood brakes and 12.2" rotor to save the unsprung weight!

If anyone local or close to me want to purchase my "Hybrid pan" so you can save the shipping cost. Email me.

Sorry about the pics. My out of date digital camera couldn't pick up all the lines on the scale.
Here is the link to some of the parts I had weighted for my Golf: (also some pics of different LCAs)
http://community.webshots.com/album/547681017NmIgfS

I'm saving every ounce I can to add (HP), I want to take this car to Road Atlanta. May be I need to lose some weight around my stomach as well?:D
I want to have my REAL "OIL" burner to track on Road Atlanta, really missed my S2000. That was a fun car on the track, but a bit too much (leg work) to drive in Atlanta Traffic! I'm also in the process of planning (or decide) either swap a V6 TDI or a Sti in my 914 or for a track car?

Last edited:

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Why don't you post your ad in the classifieds and the rest of your discussion in the Upgrades forum? You'd probably get more interest there.

BTW, thanks for the info about the weight.

--Andy

vwlogue

Veteran Member
TDI
7th VW: 2011 SportWagen TDI & 6th: 2000 Golf TDI
Is there a version of the hybrid pan with the oil sensor? (for Golf)

hsus2k

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2003, Silver
42DD sells a temperature sensor which replaced the drain plug.
Or you can drill and tap a threaded hole for a sensor.

Both OEM and Hybrid pan used same drain size drain plugs at about same location.
Both pan holds about the same capacity.
The Hybrid Pan IS much stronger, but also weighs more. (It is cheaper than OEM pan, but requires minor modification)

Last edited:

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
From the pix of I've seen in oil pan holes I wonder if the hybrid pan will help that much. The ones I have seen all seem to have the drain plug hole enlarged to approx 4 inches:eek: so there is also major damage to the side walls on these. Will the steel on the bottom may not help enough to save the side walls of the oil pan. Thoughts??:rolleyes:

hsus2k

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL, 2003, Silver
Yes, That was the reason I give up on my Hybrid (steel bottom) pan, since I have the Panzer Skid plate to take the blow (at least it will glide on it when I hit something?). If it will get thru my Panzer skid plate, my oil pan will be a goner anyway, either stock or steel plated!

Plus I didn't want to carry extra 3+ pounds of weight when I have already add over 10 pounds for the skid plate.:cool:

I think most people buy it because is WAY cheaper than the stock oil pan.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've already had to replace one of these oil pans due to road debris, so a skid plate is still the best bet. I'm sure these are better oil pans, though.

The oil pickup tube supplied with the pan is different, it dips down about 4mm deeper, if you compare the two you can see the very slight difference.

I've also found they hold about 1/4 quart more oil than the standard ones, and about 1/3 more than the standard ones with the boss in the casting for the oil level monitor. A very minor difference.

I do NOT like the tiny Allen head in the oil drain plug...too easy to round out in a plug that size. Jiffy Lube with tear those up :rolleyes: