HVAC issue

Squarehead

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
Hi All

I have a 2011 Jetta Comfortline, and I'm having issues with my HVAC (heat/AC).

When I select med on the temp setting it will blow lower than med heat.
But if I crank it up to HOT it's HOT (good).
So when I want to dial it back to say MED heat it's still HOT.
If I move it to cold it gets cold and then back to MED it's still cold.

It feels like the turn dial moves but doesn’t engage anything till it's at one extreme or the other.

Another issue is with the selector for where to blow (defrost, face....)
If you try to put it in between the face and feet you just get fan noise and very little air movement.

Anyone have similar issue?

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
can't say I have those issues. i have heat level set to 12o'clock and it is medium heat. go to the dealer for investigation/repair/warranty. first email them about it, best to keep a paper trail.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Since it's unclear whether your problem is a defect, I want to outline a similar issue on A5 models with the hope your 2011 is designed the same.

On the A5 with "Climatic" (base option), once the engine is up to full operating temperature the HVAC system will only blow hot air when the temp knob is within ~½ inch of maximum setting. However, before full operating temp it will blow hot air when temp knob exceeds the 50% mark. In actuality there's a sensor on the dash to monitor cabin temp and therefore fluctuates heat output based on temp knob setting vs. cabin temp. But in addition, there is a noticable difference once engine is up to operating temp -- whether or not cabin is at desired temp.

I recommend setting your temp knob to 75% of maximum. Your HVAC is operating correctly if as the engine's temp gauge rises it blows full heat until operating temp is reached, at which point full heat will now require the knob turned to almost maximum. I don't like this psuedo-Climatronic system, but it's purpose is to improve cabin temp regulation.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
^ this isn't completely true. The Climatic system is an automatic climate control system, minus the automated vent, A/C, and fan speed selection. On the later model cars, even the recirculate was automatically controlled. Anyway, with the Climatic system, you select a desired cabin temperature on the hot/cold knob and, based on readings it receives from the cabin temp sensor (located in-between the A/C and recirc buttons) and the vent temp sensors (located in the HVAC vents, the system will adjust the temp of the air coming out of the vents to achieve and/or maintain the selected cabin temp (A/C may be needed, for instance, in the summer). Yes, coolant temp has to be up to normal operating temp before the system's heating capabilities are fully effective, but this is no different from any other manual, semi-automatic, or automatic HVAC system. That being said, Climatic will put out full heat (or cool) if the differential between the selected temp and the measured temp is great enough, but it will also adjust the vent temp almost infinitely in-between full cold and full hot.

All this is moot because, and I believe this to be true for all North American MkVI Jettas, they only have the fully manual "old school" type of HVAC where the temp knob controls the actual vent air temp rather than the cabin temp.