HVAC dash switch removal

TDIadvocate

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I hope there is not an old thread on this topic. I searched but could not find one. The A/C is always on in my 2012 Jetta TDI. Switch appears to be depressed and will not pop back up. Light in switch comes on if temperature knob turned to max, but no control over A/C when switch depressed, it is visibly depressed all the time. Questions how do you remove HCAC panel from dash to get access to switch ? I think I read somewhere that these switches are prone to breaking ? True ? Any help will be appreciated, 43,000 miles great mileage and nearly no issues until now. I want to avoid dealer in Northern Illinois if I can, damaged vehicle when 40,000 service performed, no relief from dealer.

MN_TDI12

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
While I can offer no help in how to remove the HVAC panel, I will say I also find my A/C switch sticking down from time to time.

pete's_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta sedan Black on Black 6M, VCDS on hand
First start with remove the trim around the radio. There should be an access to screws for HVAC controll panel. I bet you can take the whole panel apart to check it for sticking or something thats causing it to stick. Maybe spilled liquid ?

Doug3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI Autobahn
My a/c switch was sticking. My dealer replaced the a/c switch unit under warranty.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I've got the same issue with mine... It's a common issue. Doug, how's the replacement working out?

I've had the stereo removed from the dash more times than I can count doing various projects (and redoing some of them), but I've never been able to remove the HVAC controls. I removed the retaining screws at one point because I had dropped something IIRC, but even with the screws out it wouldn't come quietly.

Doug3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI Autobahn
I've got the same issue with mine... It's a common issue. Doug, how's the replacement working out?
The replacement switches are perfect. Actually, a sticking a/c switch is a safety issue as it requires you to repeatedly take your eyes off the road. If your's is sticking, get it replaced for safety's sake.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
If you cant get it fixed I highly suggest packing up your life and moving to a warmer climate, seems like the most logical fix.