HVAC control issues...

A Riv

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5-speed, 1972 bug, 1996 Triumph Thunderbird (moto).
I have an '03 Jetta and the temperature controls are acting funny. The fan will not work on 1, 2, and 3 but will work on 4. The twist is that my A/C will work on 1, 2, and 3, but not on 4! I press the A/C button and it lights up for 1, 2, and 3, but the light shuts off at 4; conveniently when the fan works.:mad: I've managed by turning the fan to 1, turning the air recirculation off so I get outside air, and tilting the sunroof to get some air flow through the vents to get some cold airflow. But with summer here, it's going to be miserable. Has anybody seen anything like this?? I've checked the fuses and everything looks good. Would it be the fan or the heater controls? I suspect the heater controls....:confused:

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Check the resistor pack located in the heater duct near the fan motor. It is used to reduce voltage to the motor on speeds 1, 2, or 3. While you are at it, check the cabin air filter. If it is plugged up air flow will be reduced and cause the resistor to overheat.

A Riv

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 5-speed, 1972 bug, 1996 Triumph Thunderbird (moto).
Okay thanks. Where exactly is the motor? I know where the cabin air filter is...

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Okay thanks. Where exactly is the motor? I know where the cabin air filter is...
Under the dash on the passenger side, inside the passenger compartment. I believe the glovebox has to be removed to get to the blower motor and resistor.

wiz99

TDI
2005 VW Jetta GLS TDI - Plantinum w/ Grey Leather
A_Riv, did you ever solve your issue? I have an 05 Jetta with the exact same problem (haven't tried the A/C yet). The fan works on speed 4, but I get nothing on 1, 2, and 3.