HUGE THANKS TO GO AROUND -- Please read

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge several people who have greatly helped me recently. My car has just ticked over 280k km, and that meant being due for a timing belt replacement. Because it had never been done before, I also took the opportunity to replace the water pump, thermostat, along with all the accessory belts and the tensioner assembly, as well as the fuel- and air filters, and the seals for the cam, intermediate shaft and crankshaft -- basically all, and I mean ALL, the wearable parts around the timing belt.

Needless to say, it was a very big job, and an ambitious one to undertake in a day. Not only that, but I wanted to install the 12mm pump that had been sitting for some time.

First off, I want to thank Brian Harrison for going the extra mile with my big order. I got excellent prices on everything; I estimate to have saved about 25% OVER-AND-ABOVE already discounted dealer prices, and Brian was keeping me updated with e-mails on a late Sunday night, working on my order and doing the leg-work to get some obscure out-of-stock parts from a second supplier. Faced with a deadline of last weekend, all the parts were shipped on Wednesday afternoon, and no more than 24 hours later, had arrived from NS to my hands in Ontario!!! Thank you so much, Brian. All the parts supplied were top-notch OEM or brand-name equivalents.

Thanks also to Nigel (Wingnut) and Brian (GoFaster), who allowed me to borrow Nigel's tools and to give some advice on tackling the job.

Thanks very much Brian B (jeez, lots of Brians here
) and his brother-in-law, Michael (?), who graciously allowed me to share the space and work in a heated garage at the Putnam Ranch. Both guys went out of their way to help and allow the use the shop facilities.

Thanks also to John (Toronto_Vento), who made the drive down from Richmond Hill to Putnam, and spent the whole day helping me wrench and sharing our triumphs and frustrations...

Last but certainly not least, thanks so much, Gerry (DIESEL DAZZLER), for helping Brian and me from the better part of 8:30 a.m. until 10:30 p.m. on our cars (more so mine
).

Both Brian and Gerry braved getting earfuls from their wives for squandering their entire days wrenching, and for that, I am grateful.

We hit a major snag with my car on Saturday; by around 7:30 p.m., we couldn't get it to start with the 12mm pump that we had put in. In addition to spending half-and-hour trying to prime a dry fuel filter and pump by several means, which included several guys taking turns sucking...
, the engine would briefly catch and die again right away. Gerry made the executive decision to put the old pump back in, and the swap was made and tightened down at around 9:30 p.m. and the engine started again. Both of us exhausted and frustrated over the long day, called it quits at that point with the car still disabled in the shop (but at least startable). I then got a ride and came in around noon on Sunday to finish the job and do a little clean-up of the shop, and was out by around 2:30 p.m. Brian's brother-in-law was extremely gracious to let me come in anytime to work in his shop until everything was done.

Next steps: I'm gonna have that friggin pump torn down to 100 pieces
... to try to fix it, that is. But that's a secondary priority right now. We retarded the cam timing by a few eyeballed degrees; Also, we didn't confirm the injection timing, but to coax the engine to start, I believe it has been well advanced, and it shows in the apparent mileage I'm getting. Between the advanced injection timing and retarded cam timing, the engine does feel more lively, but it could be other effects as well; it's too early to tell... more updates later.

So, huge thanks once again to all those named above. I'm sure there are others I missed, and for that I apologize. You know who you are, and you have my gratefulness as well.

Cheers,
Dave

Brian B

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Silver
Dave, I'm just glad you finanlly got it going. Sorry to leave you at 8pm, but yes, the wife was biting at the bit. Considering I told her I should be done around 12, maybe 2pm at the latest (hahahahahahahahahaha)

Only rule I'm going to make at the next GTG at my inlaws is NO FUEL PUMPS ALLOWED

Keep me updated

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Dave, well, I am glad that you finally got the car going, even if it IS with the old pump. Did you change the timing adaptation settings back to stock? Remember we changed it on your car through Vag-Com, but I don't know if you told Gerry to set it back to stock.

Too bad I had to take off when I did, but it is a long way back to Richmond Hill.
Well, you are back on the road, and you now have a new something to tear appart.
You can always talk to those guys I mentioned in the other thread, as they seem to work on VW diesel injection pumps.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Yes, all ECU adaptations were set back to nominal values, and the shudder is B-A-A-D

Next chance I get with VAG COM, I'd like to lean out the IQ a bit at the very least. She smokes even with B20