HPFP Failure?

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 TDI, Jetta 2009 TDI
My 2009 Jetta TDI has been disabled for more than two month now. It started in early February will intermittent lack of throttle response. After changing the fuel filter, the problem persisted.

It would come and go and sometimes I couldn’t accelerate at a red light. Then all of a sudden it would kick in. After draining the fuel tank, cleaning the tank, refueling, and then running the fuel and aux pumps with VCDS, I had trouble getting the car to start. Eventually I did get it to start, but then after a test drive, it would start, run and then stall after about 3 seconds. VCDS showed timing faults on injectors 3 and 4.
(The fuel that I removed from the tank looked clean and without water.)

A private VW mechanic found very small metal particles on top of the fuel filter element and then removed the lines between the rail and the injectors. He also saw particles in the standing fuel at the injector fittings. I didn’t see the particles at first with my 50 year old eyes. He suggested that I should replace the pump and injectors, but after reading about some VW goodwill on HPFP (injector pump) failures, I decided to take some pictures and then have it towed to my local VW dealer. My car has seen 110,000 miles.

(The fuel that I removed looked clean and without water.)

After telling the VW service manager the complete story, he seemed sympathetic, but he did say that it would might be a problem, because the private guy may have elimiated the evidence (particles). The VW mechanic started by opening the fuel filter and there were no particles on the top of the element (because my private guy removed and then reinserted it). The mechanic then removed the N290 fuel metering valve on top of the HPFP to check for particles. The fuel in the housing bowl was clean and the screen on the valve was clean. He concluded that there were no particles in the system. I later checked the fuel flow circuit for the HPFP, and it seem odd that he would particle check at the N290, because the schematic shows a fine filter, upstream of the N290. He assured me that the VW procedure was to check at the N290.
He also did not see any low pressure fuel faults, so he concluded that the pump is fine. He is getting a P403 EGR fault, so he is chasing that. But I think he is chasing his tail. It seems like a fuel problem to me because it won’t stay running.
Questions,

1. Opinions on checking for particles at the N290?
2. The particles, that I saw, were very small and not too many. Could the dealer be right and the pump is OK?
3. If the pump has failed, or is failing, why don’t I get a low pressure fault?
4. Would a P403 EGR fault cause the car to stall after three seconds of running?

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
I live in Massachusetts, north of Boston. Does anyone know of a dealer in my area that has mechanics skilled with diagnosing the problem on my 2009 TDI?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Dealers are required to check N290 for metal before replacing the pump. They could be correct and the pump is ok.

If rail pressure is low you should have a fault.

Cant help you with Boston dealers though. Do a google search and read some reviews.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
That fine filter upstream of the pump metering valve is sealed, cannot inspect it without destroying it. That is why they check for particles at the fuel metering valve. Next step (that a dealer won't likely do, but a TDI mechanic should) is to pull the pump head off and remove the piston. You can get a very good look at the roller tip and pump-cam lobe that way. If they both look pristine, a classic HPFP failure is not your issue.

Check the trusted mechanic list in the "TDI 101" forum. There are a number of good ones up there.

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank's on the comments on checking at the N290 fuel metering valve. I now agree based on your opinion and a second look at the schematic. I misinterpreted the schematic and I now see that this is a great place to check for particles because the valve is immediately downstream of the roller and lobe.

I still have a hunch that my problem is fuel related.

It is showing a P0403 code, EGR Control Circuit Malfunction. The car starts and stops after 3 seconds. The dealer is chasing this problem, but do you think this error code would stop the engine?

Any thought on it being an auxiliary pump failure or a clog in the filter between the auxiliary pump and the HPFP. I read in the self study program that the symptoms of an auxiliary pump failure are lack of power at first leading to no starting.

geostar

Veteran Member
TDI
It turned out to be the EGR valve. Dealer replaced it for $800. A rip-off, but I gladly paid to get my car back on the road.

Andration

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI -DSG
It turned out to be the EGR valve. Dealer replaced it for $800. A rip-off, but I gladly paid to get my car back on the road.
Do you mind elaborating on what the EGR valve is, and/or how you/they found the issue? I think my newly purchased 2010 jetta tdi is in the early stages of some fuel issues, and I figure the more I read about/understand this stuff, the better off I'll be when some more extreme symptoms present themselves...

Thanks!