Votes: 44 95.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

dan.falzone

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Well since it's all fixed now, I plan on keeping it. Just kinda upset that I don't get my settlement until they decide to come up with a "fix" for the car like that's what the settlement is for. I thought it was for my car's lost value...

Kinda feels like extortion if I HAVE to bring my car in to be "fixed" just to get me settlement. What if their "fix" does not satisfy me? i.e hampers performance or flue mileage. Then what, do it or don't get the money?!?

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
Vow excellent write up.. I am not as intimidated as before tackling the HPFP problems in case mine
decides to grenade itself. With this comprehensive and informative write up it would be relatively cheaper
to repair the system. Good job thank you for sharing.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Well since it's all fixed now, I plan on keeping it. Just kinda upset that I don't get my settlement until they decide to come up with a "fix" for the car like that's what the settlement is for. I thought it was for my car's lost value...

Kinda feels like extortion if I HAVE to bring my car in to be "fixed" just to get me settlement. What if their "fix" does not satisfy me? i.e hampers performance or flue mileage. Then what, do it or don't get the money?!?

the $1000 was an, "im sorry"

the $5100 plus is to gain your cooperation in the remedy. either to sell back or to get your car fixed.

megawatthunter

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
HPFP failure. Question?

hey guys.

need some direction here...

im in the process of fixing a HPFP failure. my car has 160k miles and failed just before the recall, what luck! only issue in 160k other than a sensor and fuel rail.

my goal it to just get the car running enough to tow it to the dealer and drive it on the lot so it qualifies for the recall.

i planned on just doing the pump to see if it will start up.

does the car stop running because the pump totally dies or loses the ability to send enough preasure and fuel? or is the real issue clogging somewhere upstream?

thx!

MaczPayne

TDI
2009 Volkswagen Jetta
I was going to just throw the pump in as well - but seeing as the new pump is $500+ dollars, there are some questions brewing in my head:

-How long will the engine run?
-Will it even start since I haven't cleaned the injectors?
-Is the HPFP failure caused by a failed Aux Pump?

I bit the bullet and decided to follow this DIY. I figured this will give me the best odds of having a running car, and hopefully the payout will be a wash as far as total spending goes.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
hey guys.
need some direction here...
im in the process of fixing a HPFP failure. my car has 160k miles and failed just before the recall, what luck! only issue in 160k other than a sensor and fuel rail.
my goal it to just get the car running enough to tow it to the dealer and drive it on the lot so it qualifies for the recall.
i planned on just doing the pump to see if it will start up.
does the car stop running because the pump totally dies or loses the ability to send enough preasure and fuel? or is the real issue clogging somewhere upstream?
thx!
Not familiar with all the ins and outs required to qualify....
Wouldn't it be cheaper to find a dealer at the bottom of a hill and coast it up to the service department. Pretend it just failed. Some people could get real creative in that regard. :D

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That's the part I don't like too. Waiting for a fix on the JSW that may never come. Or it may come but not give enough time to weigh the changes before deciding on taking $5100 and keeping the car, or taking the ~$14,000 and putting into something else.

MaczPayne

TDI
2009 Volkswagen Jetta
Dan,

I'm encountering the same issue you went through on a previous post:

So I just got all the parts in last night and everything is put back together right now. Primed the system by hot wiring the lift pump and aux pump. I cracked open the high pressure line feeding the CR and verified that there was diesel coming out. Attempted to start the car and it just cranks. On my 2nd attempt to start it the oil light came on and flashed 3x before turning off. After a few times of trying to start it, it fired up for a few seconds and then cut out. (while it was running, it ran very smooth) I verified the timing about 3 times before putting everything back together. (including HPFP) I opened the lines to the injectors and cranked it a few times and had some diesel leak out, so I'm getting diesel to the injectors. Is there something I'm missing?? The new/used injectors have not been adapted, but I was told that it should still start and run. I have a cheap VAG-COM cable but it will only talk to me transmission =/

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
How did you resolve this? The injectors are brand new FWIW

dan.falzone

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I was going to just throw the pump in as well - but seeing as the new pump is $500+ dollars, there are some questions brewing in my head:

-How long will the engine run?
-Will it even start since I haven't cleaned the injectors?
-Is the HPFP failure caused by a failed Aux Pump?

I bit the bullet and decided to follow this DIY. I figured this will give me the best odds of having a running car, and hopefully the payout will be a wash as far as total spending goes.
Sorry for a late response. The pump is the primary failure point, but you will have very small pieces of metal throughout the entire fuel system. Most parts can be cleaned with HOT/SOAPY water, but the pickup pump and AUX pump will be nearly impossible to clean so should just be replaced. If you clean it properly and replace the non-cleanable parts, it should run for a very long time. I haven't had an issue with mine since.

The injectors are another story. They may work, they may not. It all depends if the metal has clogged them. My car ran for about 3 seconds with the original injectors before they were completely clogged. So you can try, but you may need to clean them.

The HPFP fails due to the a bearing in the unit turning sideways and riding the middle of the cam and wearing a groove in the bearing. This has nothing to do with the AUX pump, but due to the contamination of metal, it will need to be replaced anyways.

MaczPayne

TDI
2009 Volkswagen Jetta
Update on the no-start issue:

Andrew from 2micron helped me out tremendously on troubleshooting this issue... He's an amazing guy and I honestly did not expect this level of support since I'm not even a paying customer. It's rare and refreshing to know that people like him are out there! Thanks again Andrew

I did the repair as noted in the guide here. Thanks Dan for paving the way - I probably would have had a much harder time with this repair otherwise.

Long story short - after buying new injectors, swapping HPFP heads out, checking for output from the HPFP and then the injector outputs from the fuel rail, the problem ended up being a bad fuel pressure sensor that came with the used fuel rail I purchased online.

I swapped in a new one, bled the system again at the injectors and the engine fired right up. I hope this experience helps others that are doing the same repair!

dan.falzone

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
So, a little update...

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while or answered any questions sent to me. We just moved and it was very hectic for the past several months. But here is an update of the HPFP pump.

A few weeks ago, the car broke down and would not start up. I got it towed home and checked the fuel lines and found no pressure. I automatically assumed the worst and thought it was the HPFP again. I opened up the metering valve and found no signs of metal. I took the top of the pump off and the cam and bearing looked brand new! (it has been 20,000 miles since the failure) Turns out, to my relief, the in-tank pump took a crap. A quick warranty swap and the car was back up and running perfect!

Honestly I should have know that the in-tank pump was garbage from the get go. It has to be the loudest pump I have ever heard. With the car running, you could clearly hear it humming. I guess I just got a bad pump. New one is as quiet as can be. I had to check to see if it was even running, that's how quiet it is.

Point of my story is to show that with cleaning the fuel system, even after 20,000 miles, there is no sign of wear.

MaczPayne

TDI
2009 Volkswagen Jetta
I suspect some of the HPFP failures could be caused by a failed/non-functioning in tank lift pump. It make sense to me - if that stops sending fuel to the filter housing, it dries up and starves the HPFP... maybe enough to cause damage.

So, a little update...

Sorry I haven't been on here in a while or answered any questions sent to me. We just moved and it was very hectic for the past several months. But here is an update of the HPFP pump.

A few weeks ago, the car broke down and would not start up. I got it towed home and checked the fuel lines and found no pressure. I automatically assumed the worst and thought it was the HPFP again. I opened up the metering valve and found no signs of metal. I took the top of the pump off and the cam and bearing looked brand new! (it has been 20,000 miles since the failure) Turns out, to my relief, the in-tank pump took a crap. A quick warranty swap and the car was back up and running perfect!

Honestly I should have know that the in-tank pump was garbage from the get go. It has to be the loudest pump I have ever heard. With the car running, you could clearly hear it humming. I guess I just got a bad pump. New one is as quiet as can be. I had to check to see if it was even running, that's how quiet it is.

Point of my story is to show that with cleaning the fuel system, even after 20,000 miles, there is no sign of wear.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
I suspect some of the HPFP failures could be caused by a failed/non-functioning in tank lift pump. It make sense to me - if that stops sending fuel to the filter housing, it dries up and starves the HPFP... maybe enough to cause damage.
This is true. If the steel they use in the lift pump isn't stainless it will rust and plug the fuel filter. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=410742