HPFP blew on 2014 Sportwagen TDI with 30k miles, VW won't help

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
You're good. The longer it sits, un-driveable, the more the value increases due to the monthly mileage allotment.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Would you mind elaborating on that a little more bizzle?
There's a 1042 miles/month allotment that gets calculated into the buyback price. If you're driving 1500+ miles per month then you lose money each month, but if your car is sitting then your adjusted mileage is going to continue to drop and it goes up about $300 dollars each month. That said, if your car payment is over 300 then you're going to still lose money.

cas.lane

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Saw that right after I posted. Was caught in a flurry of headlines and misinformation this morning. Thanks.

schreibers

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Sorry you had this happen what an unnecessary mess!

Regarding emissions scandal documents defines operational vehicle as one that runs as a buyback stipulation. Doesn't say how well it needs to run but it needs to run. I don't remember if the same applies to the "modification" path

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

cas.lane

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
now i'm waiting to see if Volkswagen is able to come up with a fix for the vehicle so they can resell or export them out of the America. If they can't - it sounds like they will have to scrap them. In which case I am hoping I can plead my case to not pay $4,000 just to have them scrap it.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
The FTC announcement yesterday stated in no uncertain terms that the cars were to be scrapped. The spokeswoman said, "we're not going to allow our dirty air to become someone else's dirty air."

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
The FTC announcement yesterday stated in no uncertain terms that the cars were to be scrapped. The spokeswoman said, "we're not going to allow our dirty air to become someone else's dirty air."
Yea, they cannot be exported as is....either they fix them or they drill holes in the block and cut the frame/body of the car to render it inoperable

What a flipping waste

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yea, they cannot be exported as is....either they fix them or they drill holes in the block and cut the frame/body of the car to render it inoperable
...or they part them out, except for a few parts (ECU and exhaust stuff). There's got to be a fair bit of value in most of the parts for gassers.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
...or they part them out, except for a few parts (ECU and exhaust stuff). There's got to be a fair bit of value in most of the parts for gassers.
If there were just a few hundred I could see that. But with the numbers we are talking about, it would saturate any parts market.

The only thing I can see they could do is if they could replace the engine with an already-approved gasser engine with all of the stuff that goes with it. For a 2009 with 180K miles on it, that might never make sense. For a 2014 with 20K miles on it, it might make a lot more sense.

I guess we won't know for sure until there is an official notice as to whether there is any approved fix.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Grinding up my 2014 Passat TDI with 26,000 miles on it will be an absolute shame. It's mint with not even a door ding. Sad, but they are going to pay me $4K over purchase price and that's hard to not take advantage of.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
There's a 1042 miles/month allotment that gets calculated into the buyback price. If you're driving 1500+ miles per month then you lose money each month, but if your car is sitting then your adjusted mileage is going to continue to drop and it goes up about $300 dollars each month. That said, if your car payment is over 300 then you're going to still lose money.
The mileage appreciation/depreciation seems to be in 5000 mile increments (not monthly at 1042 miles or whatever they're using).

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
The payout is calculated dependent on miles but as a function of time.

The actual mileage on your odometer is less relevant than the month you accept the buyback and the miles driven during the time between last September and whenever you accept the settlement money.

Jimmy Coconuts

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, 2010 Jetta, 2011 Q7 Prestige, 2012 A3 Premium, 2013 A3 Premium Plus, 2014 Beetle, 2015 Jetta
You accumulate 1042 miles per month if the car is not driven, but since the increments are in 5000 mile blocks, it may take up to 5 months to see any appreciation.