Howto: Upgrade to autodim/rain sensor mirror

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The autodimming mirror is like having a back window that gets a very dark tint at night when bright lights are behind you, but it untints when bright lights are not behind you and during the day.

Or to put it another way:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
VF, darn.

Well, maybe you can save up for the rain sensor feature down the road. See the other thread on rain sensor for a list of the parts. I will take pics once I get all the parts and start the final installation.

SVTWEB helped me source the parts from the salvage yard and has been generous with technical support and prodding and pushing
So, I didn't spend as much for the parts.

You can't tell him "it won't work"

Lito

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It has been determined that the PDF has an incorrect part number given for the 4 position connector. What is "4B0 972 623" should read "4D0 972 623". My apologies for any inconveniences.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Assuming you have full glass insurance, and you paid the difference for the rain sensor windshield out of pocket ($100-120), what's the total cost of this mod?

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
The rock finally found my windshield the other day. Darndest thing - a rock about the size of a small potato comes bouncing along (looked like it was spinning rapidly)and hits me right in front of my nose - the glass doesn't even crack, but the rock leaves a scratch about 1/4" wide by 1" long right in my line of sight!

I don't have the time or bucks to add all the other needed items right now but is it possible to put in the GLX windshield with sensor and install the standard GL mirror for the time being? Or does the sensor require you to use a different mirror right away?

MCA

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
If I'm not mistaken, it's not the sensor, but the mounting of the mirror that's different between the standard windshield and the rain-sensor windshield. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I had my windshield replaced a couple of months ago (for the 3rd time!) and the glass company ordered the wrong one (same price, different code was their excuse). I said to just install it because I may do the mod later on down the road, but they told me they couldn't attach the standard mirror.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Contact Chris Kennedy, he is or was selling a used mirror, sensor, etc, etc. Getting the glass is the hardest part. Do that, and you'll be set.

Also, the mirror is less than $100 from Impex. You could always add the rain sensor later.

This is only if Chris has already sold the mirror/rain sensor.

L

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
Thanks - the insurance (100% coverage) gets the glass based on VIN - so I'll be getting the standard replacement windshield. Oh well.

MCA

childishidealism

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-PD, 2005, Reflex Silver
Alright, so I need my windshield replaced but I can't figure out if I should go for this or not. They will upgrade the glass for free and it will come with the mount and the channeling, but no mirror. So I would need the sensor the mirror and then all the wiring? Will my current mirror attach to the new mount until I can afford the replacement?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, but the new mirror will attach without the rainsensor(the most expensive part) and you could wire up the anti-dazzle portion and wait to get the rest installed.

Lito

childishidealism

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-PD, 2005, Reflex Silver
I show on impex the mirror is $266.96. I guess I can get 10% off at impexfest, but that's still rough. Maybe I'll have a look at one in a few weeks. I really don't want to wait that long to get the glass replaced though, this thing is spreading like crazy.

DanielRamirez

TDI
2009 A3 2.0T
New Mirror Part #

3B0 857 511 J Is a newer mirror, it has a handy on/off switch and two red LEDs (as the W8 Console), here in Mexico at the dealer it costed me about a $90 dollars ($74 @ Impex)

3B0 857 511 H, the older one, with no switch or LEDs was $260!
(at the dealer).

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
New Mirror Part #

3B0 857 511 J Is a newer mirror, it has a handy on/off switch and two red LEDs (as the W8 Console), here in Mexico at the dealer it costed me about a $90 dollars ($74 @ Impex)

3B0 857 511 H, the older one, with no switch or LEDs was $260!
(at the dealer).
At least here in the U.S., the autodimming mirrors have always had the red LEDs and the on/off switches.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Re: New Mirror Part #

At least here in the U.S., the autodimming mirrors have always had the red LEDs and the on/off switches.
On what do you base this statement? The early 1999 GLX's did NOT have the switch or LED's.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid

On what do you base this statement? The early 1999 GLX's did NOT have the switch or LED's.
My apologies, the '99.5 GLXs may not have had the switch for the autodimming function or the LEDs. But I know that starting in 2000 GLXs had both features.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver

This is a another great OEM+ mod. To add a little cost perspective, the whole thing can done for as little as $170 bucks. I was able to get the Mirror, rain sensor, relay and most of the trim parts from Undergroundvwparts on vortex for $140. I paid another $20(with my insurance's approval) out of pocket to get the GLX glass when my orignal windshield cracked and needed replacement. Then a few more bucks for some wire and that was it.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
Heh, I'm finally going through with this mod. The windshield has been cracked since August 2003, and the Golf is due up for inspection at the end of the year. I've got two minor questions:

1. Putting the relay part number yields two results when I put it in Impex. Anybody have an idea which one I should get?

2. I've got a Golf. AFAIK any A4 winshield should fit. Should I ask them for a GLX windshield or a GTI windscreen? I think both of them have rain sensor options.

- hoffer

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
GTI does not necessarily have the rain sensor. When you call the glass place they will ask you if your windshield has the tint at the top and if it has a rain sensor or not. The windshield for the rain sensor usually runs like $40 more.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Pelican18TQA4 said:
My apologies, the '99.5 GLXs may not have had the switch for the autodimming function or the LEDs. But I know that starting in 2000 GLXs had both features.
Not true. Starting with 2002 the mirrors started having the LED lights. Coincided with the release of the W8 Passat.

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
New part number?!

Huh. So I get all the parts together, and apparently a part number has changed? The four pin connector, 4B0 972 623 that I got is not a four pin connector. It's some two pin connector. I've verified the part number in the PDF in every location listed, the invoice, both plastic bags it came in, and on the part itself. It would surprise me if VW were to reuse a part number like that. Any ideas? Can anyone verify that it is indeed part number 4B0 972 623? Am I missing something here?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Hoffer said:
Huh. So I get all the parts together, and apparently a part number has changed? The four pin connector, 4B0 972 623 that I got is not a four pin connector. It's some two pin connector. I've verified the part number in the PDF in every location listed, the invoice, both plastic bags it came in, and on the part itself. It would surprise me if VW were to reuse a part number like that. Any ideas? Can anyone verify that it is indeed part number 4B0 972 623? Am I missing something here?
Part number 4B0 972 623 is, (in fact), a flat contact housing, 2 pin for use with 000 979 009 or 000 979 009 A repair wires.

I think the connector you actually need is 4D0 972 643 which is a round connector housing with contact lock, 4 pin.

BTW I worked with VW parts for years and I have yet to see VW reuse a part number for a part that was not a direct replacement for the part that had the number previously. Even then it is very rare. Usually if a part is replaced or superceded a letter suffix is added or a new number created, (the first 3 digits might change because they are assigned according to the first type of vehicle the part was first used in but the rest of the numbers usually stay the same).

Last edited: