Howto: Upgrade to autodim/rain sensor mirror

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The link below is to a 412KB PDF describing the parts and process to install an autodimming/rain sensor mirror, complete with an adequate number of photos. This project is not for weak-of-wallet.

The requirements: (1) replace windshield with one that has the proper mirror mount, (2) dig deep into your wallet for the mirror parts, (3) have basic skills to do a minimal amount of wiring and r/r of trim panels.

Budget at least $550 dollars for the mirror parts plus the cost of the windshield. Mirror parts costs will vary depending on your sources of parts, discounts, taxes, shipping, etc.
If you're having the windshield replaced and insurance is picking up the majority of the tab, great. I don't know the cost of it, but I thought I saw a MSRP exceeding $800.

The only camera I had available is an old "eyeball" USB interface camera connected to a laptop. It wasn't easy arranging the lighting, focusing, holding the camera and finding a finger left to click the mouse at times. I apologize in advance for the quality of the pictures.

Upgrading to Automatic Dimming/Rain Sensor Mirror PDF

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
MoGolf,

Nice job. Have you used the rain sensor feature yet??

I WILL do this upgrade since it's almost a gaurantee that some truck will kick up a stone on I-95 somewhere down the road.

I just need to hide my cheers of glee from my wife when she would normally expect explatives!!

Lito

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white
now THIS is cool! Great PDF. We should come up with a website and release these under a GPL or something..... setup a section on sourceforge or a similar site... hahahaaaa!!

I need to do this.... man, whatever happened to "the car is fine like it is! No need to change anything"?

oh well.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Still no rain yet while driving since I did this, Lito. Figures.

I've only "dry tested" it.

I'm as anxious as you are.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Nice MOGolf - very nice - we had some good rain up here yesterday . . . so much that you could almost see better w/o the wipers on

good luck with the rain dance

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Originally posted by GeWilli:
good luck with the rain dance
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
YYYYYYEEESSSS!!!!!!

The rain dance worked!

After the threat of golf ball sized hail passed (I guess I over did it a little
), I promptly went for a wet test. It works!!!!

Wiping varies according to the moisture hitting the windshield. Get behind a truck spraying up a lot moisture and they wipe faster. Rain lets up and they slow down or even stop. Seems even more speed sensitive than the original configuration.

Tongsli you were right. I like it.

tdibugman

Veteran Member
I have Raintronic in the Passat - one of the best features on it!
Sadly, the system does not yet work on New Beetles, since the windsheild is too curved.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glenn,

Man oh man where is that rock to crack my windshield??

Ever since I rode in a Mercedes with a rain sensor I thought it was really slick, and have been wanting to do the same upgrade you just did.

Lito

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
I'll be happy to throw some rocks at your windshield for you Lito. Just name your time and place.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
awww, cmon Matt. I was just kidding

been looking for you in the am. Was late today.

L

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
I know you were, slacker.

Now stop taking this excellent thread OT.

5:52 today?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
how 'bout on your street in the middle of the road?? Drink a bunch of beers first so I don't get charged with vehicular manslaughter?

L

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
Mo-

forgive me for asking the obvious, silly question, but why cant the original windshield be used? is it not possible to scrape off a small circle of that ceramic paint in the center of that "black dot" so the rain sensor can see through the old windshield?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thou art forgiven. Besides, you'd have to stick on a new mounting (if you could get one) and I'm not sure how it would look since the "blackout" for it would not be on the windshield. It is a larger diameter than the non-sensor mounting.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This product looks interesting. The only "problem" is that you need to lay the sensor part on your dash somewhere. I guess at the center where the sun-sensor on the GLX goes?? The sensor pad could just sit on the dash.

Otherwise, it's like the alientech device. A bunch of wire splices and a new relay. Pretty easy.

I emailed the US distributor to see if I can find out a price and compatibility.

Lito

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lito, it does look like it would be compatible with the North American A4's. If you go through the installation information, there is actually a picture of a VW wiper relay that looks like the standard, non-autowipe relay.

But it won't give you auto dimming.

One other thing about installing it. It would have to be mounted to the windshield in an area swept by the wipers. It wouldn't work sitting on the dash.

[ July 09, 2002, 17:49: Message edited by: MOGolf ]

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good point guys. It also doesn't really look stock.

I got a receipt of my email from Hella, I'll pass along any information.

Glenn, I still like your mod

L

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet
Originally posted by MOGolf:
Thou art forgiven. Besides, you'd have to stick on a new mounting (if you could get one) and I'm not sure how it would look since the "blackout" for it would not be on the windshield. It is a larger diameter than the non-sensor mounting.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">by "a new mounting" do you mean part number 3B0-845-543
"retaining plate for rear view mirror, inner for vehicles with rain sensor"

???

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, that is correct. It is listed in ETKA and referenced in the Bentley CD. However, the local dealer said it cannot be purchased separately from the windshield. Others looking into this may have a different experience.

Then there is the matter of the blackout applied to the windshield. The standard mirror base is 37 mm in diameter. The mount for the dimming/sensor mirror is a larger diameter with a clear center. Therefore it would necessary to remove a large portion of the existing blackout, add blackout to the outside to equal the diameter of the new mount (unless one doesn't mind whatever the new mount would look like without the blackout), and hope the rain sensor isn't affected by any scratches in the glass (it probably would be; it is very sensitive).

The other option is to do without the rain sensor part. Remove the existing mount, glue on a new mount (if one can be purchased), and wire directly to the mirror (uses the same 6 position wiring connector) for the autodimming. It would be necessary to figure out the wiring (I may be able to take mine apart enough to do that) since the actual connector on the mirror has 6 wires of different colors than what comes in the sensor/wiring adapter (3 wires passed through).

For all that effort, it would be easier to go with a non-VW mirror without the rain sensor (or see above link for a different option).

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At least it works.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
G,

I'm working on acquiring the parts from the salvage yard. WIll let you know. Then, it's just windshield time

L

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Hi.

I just ordered the NB autodim/ambient mirror ($85).

How do you guys like the autodim feature? Does it really work?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VF

What windshield washer control module number is in you car? 377 or 192?? It's in position 5 + 6 on the lower relay plate just above the power bar.

If you've got 192 then you can also add the rain sensor to your car pretty easily.

Lito