Howto: Upgrade to autodim/rain sensor mirror

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
You didn't have to sticky it. I knew where it was...

In any case, I'm trying to source parts to see how much it would cost me. I've got a cracked winshield which I'm probably going to have to replace come inspection time, so this might be a good project to work on when spring comes along.

Jason

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Nearing completion of this mod on my car...

FYI, the 'jelly' on the rain sensor is available alone. Its part number is 1J0 955 609. 13 bux at Impex. Its description is simply "Film".

-Jason

Last edited:

skicrave

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat 1.8T 4Motion Wagon
Hoffer said:
Huh. So I get all the parts together, and apparently a part number has changed? The four pin connector, 4B0 972 623 that I got is not a four pin connector. It's some two pin connector. I've verified the part number in the PDF in every location listed, the invoice, both plastic bags it came in, and on the part itself. It would surprise me if VW were to reuse a part number like that. Any ideas? Can anyone verify that it is indeed part number 4B0 972 623? Am I missing something here?
I ran into the same problem. Have we confirmed that 4B0 972 623 is in fact the correct part number (I remember the housing being square, not round)?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
As I posted earlier in this thread:

It has been determined that the PDF has an incorrect part number given for the 4 position connector. What is "4B0 972 623" should read "4D0 972 623". My apologies for any inconveniences.

skicrave

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat 1.8T 4Motion Wagon
Haha, sorry MOGolf, I remember reading that now, but didn't register it at the time.

Thanks!

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
MOGolf said:
As I posted earlier in this thread:

It has been determined that the PDF has an incorrect part number given for the 4 position connector. What is "4B0 972 623" should read "4D0 972 623". My apologies for any inconveniences.
MOGolf, you may want to edit the original post. Sometimes other post gets lost. Granted people should read the whole post, and it's not ridiculous like an MFA post, but it might help...

Now, if I only I could find time to get those damn parts installed...

Reflex130

Anyone got a few pics of the mirror with the switch and leds?
I already have a rain/dim mirror as standard equipment, but the dimming is not working (no leaks tho), if the switched mirror is cheaper and looks ok, i may get it instead.
I already have the w8 light console, having 4 ambient lights would be too much i think, but they could always be disconnected.
I assume the switch is just for the dim function, in which case, this mirror would no longer auto clear when selecting reverse gear like the original one?

TIA

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The newer switched mirror does not look much different. Plug and play with the older one. Functions the same including reverse. Switching it off when not needed (e.g. during daylight hours) will help to make it last longer.

Reflex130

Oh i thought it was only activated when the lights were on,
Mine has never worked so i didnt know, on my previous BMW that was the case and common sense, so i assumed the same.
Thanks MOGolf. ;)

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
You could just wire the mirror to the light switch signaled line. That way it only gets power when the headlights/parking lights are switched on.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
ok i have a busted windshield and ready to do this mod but have a question. does the windshield mount with the center hole come with the new glx glass, or do i need to order the mount and this special "film"? tia.

ps: thanks to dave_594 for the tip about uvunderground. that guy rocks!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
You need both, the GLX windshield, and the film.

Please be shure your glass shop installs the windshield properly, and that they remove all the old glue before putting in the new glass.

-Jason

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
The old glue is between the glass and the body of the car.

The GLX glass comes with the GLX mirror mount :)

-Jason

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Do you already have the mirror? I ask just because I wonder if it is technically illegal for the glass shop to let you drive off without having installed the rear view mirror.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
I get yer point, Jas, but I still think that it's unfair to put the company at risk of being sued because you were in an accident, driving without a rearview mirror, regardless of whether or not you instructed them not to install it. I'm not implying that you (well... volmaniac) would sue, but rather the person you ran into would/could.

I don't know if it is illegal or not; I suspect it's not, presuming you have functioning side view mirrors, but I don't know.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
I agree with Fitzski. Purchase the mirror and have it with you before you go to get the glass installed. It could save you some headache.

When I got my windshield it was OEM glass and came with mount preinstalled.

GCMarx

Veteran Member
TDI
Shoes, the bus, the T
fitzski said:
I get yer point, Jas, but I still think that it's unfair to put the company at risk of being sued because you were in an accident, driving without a rearview mirror, regardless of whether or not you instructed them not to install it. I'm not implying that you (well... volmaniac) would sue, but rather the person you ran into would/could.

I don't know if it is illegal or not; I suspect it's not, presuming you have functioning side view mirrors, but I don't know.
U-Hauls don't have rear-view mirrors, so I'd imagine that it's fine for you not to also.

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
i got the mirror, relay, sensor harness yesterday from vwunderground (thanks to dave_594):) .

i got poked turning into our church parking lot by a gate pole that came loose. the impact point was right at the top of the window at the roof line and there was some damage to the roof as well.

my plan is to let the body shop repair the roof then take it over to the glass shop (with the autosensing mirror in hand) and let them intall the new mirror with the glx glass so i won't be without the mirror. then i finish wiring it up.

thanks to jason and dave for the clarification on my questions.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
GCMarx said:
U-Hauls don't have rear-view mirrors, so I'd imagine that it's fine for you not to also.
That's a different class of vehicle.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
I got a question to all of you guys that did this mod....
why is it that every time that you shut down the car if you leave the wipers on when you re-start the car the rain sensor stays dead untill you reset it (move the lever in any direction or slide the sensetivity lever)

Also missing the info on the NB Convertible sensor mount parts that alow you NOT to change windshield if you only want to wire up the rainsensor in the mean time...are those in a different thread

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Boost, it doesnt stay dead till you reset it. It just seems the sensitivity gets kick way up high after a restart. I know on a few occasiona I will be driving down the highway and it will just randomly come on for a whipe or 2. Kinda suprising when it happens.

I agree though on days when its lightly raining I do have to do something/anything with the controls to reset it it seems.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
what i ment was - it's raining and wipers are ON... i stop for something and leave them ON...shut off the car....come back later still raining...start the car...wipers don't work untill i touch ANYTHING on the wiper stalk ...

it's been like that forever...i'll be messing with it at Impex as i'm going back to regular front windshield and putting on a Audi S4 2005 antidazzle/rain/compass mirror

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW designed it that way and documented it in the owners manual. If you can understand everything they do, you're ahead of the rest of us.

Tongsli documented the NB alternative in another thread.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
ok cool....i never read that in the manual...don't even know if i have it in mine as i assumed that this page wouldn't even be there for my former GL

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, the rain sensor in the W8 is the same - must be reset by moving the lever out of and back into the intermittent position if you shut the car off while the rain sensing is enabled. Documented in the manual... can't begin to fathom why it's like that, though.

What drives me nuts is that the rain-sensing CANNOT be over-ridden to just have regular intermittent wipers. The rain-sensing drives me nucking futs in snow or salty/slushy road spray driving conditions. Why oh why can't I turn it OFF?!! Sensitivity seems to have little real effect - it definitely errs on the side of caution, regardless of how low you set the sensitivity.

Anyway... that's my two cents... :D