HowTo: RNS-510 Installation + Coding ('09 Jetta)

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
RNS-510 Retrofit Instructions - '09 Jetta TDI

Tools Required:

• Precision straight screwdriver. 1.4MM worked for me.
  • Small straight screwdriver.
  • T15 driver.
  • 18 inch flat ruler or other straight, flat object. (For fishing the satellite antenna wire..)
  • Microfiber cloth.
Items required:
  • RNS-510 head unit for the proper region (US unit, EU unit, etc..)
  • Antenna Adaptor - Part no 7L6 051 551 - Currently $31.13 from Impex (Interesting Fact: 7L6 parts are for the Touraeg..)
  • GPS Antenna. (Not shown in this picture.)
Head Unit Removal:

Note that in this procedure I will show a few pictures of a screwdriver being used directly on the plastic. Depending on how anal you are, how careful you are, and your level of concern for your interior trim
you might want to wrap the end of the screwdriver in the microfiber towel to avoid damaging the trim. I did, I removed it in most cases for picture clarity. Sometimes it's easier to not use the towel, however
you do run the risk of scratching your trim.

IMPORTANT STEP: Turn your Climatic air output to the defrost setting. This will close off the vent that goes down into the AC system. This will lessen the likelyhood of tools and parts dropping into the abyss.
You will find out why later on in this How-To

You may want to disconnect your battery before performing any of the following steps for an added level of safety.

Legaleese: The author of this How-To nor TDIClub assumes any responsibility for the content of this post, the accuracy of the information provided herein, or any damage that may result as of the application of this information. Have fun :)

1. Remove the above peice. In cars without Climatronic, this is a dummy peice. In cars WITH climatronic, this is an infrared sensor - be mindful of the connector when removing.

2. Remove the torx screw here.

3. CAREFULLY pry up the screen here all around the edge. The trim peice surrounding the indirect venting selector wheel will come off and makes this a little easier.

4. Pry up the vent assembely. Again, patience is the key here. It will come, and it will sound like plastic is snapping. It's fine though.

5. Be sure the Climatic selector knob is on defrost.

6. Remove the two torx screws circled in red and use the screwdriver to carefully pry the trim away from the three green marked points in the rear.
Pictures get a little few after here because the process is pretty easy to figure out from this point on.

I was panicing after a precision screwdriver managed to fly into the open vent, never to be seen again. This is why I place emphasis on closing the vent.

7. Pull the top vent trim toward you a little until it raises about 1/4 inch from the top of the radio. Then gently pull STRAIGHT UP from the radio until the two tabs separate from the lower portion of the dash.

8. At this point you can either simply move the vent piece to the side and set it on the top of the dash, or you can remove the electrical connectors and completely remove it from the dash area. I just moved it to the side and it was fine.

9. Remove the two torx screws made visible after the removal of the top vent piece.

10. Carefully use your screwdriver to remove the trim surrounding the lower portion of the radio and the climate control knobs. Mine didn’t require much force at all and I was able to remove by hand without using the screwdriver. YMMV.

11. Remove the four Torx screws from the corners of the radio.
Your old radio should pull right out now. Pull it out until you are limited by the length of the antenna wires or the radio electrical harness.

12. Remove the antenna connectors from the radio.

13. Remove the electrical harness from the radio. The bottom of the connector has a lever - flip it 90 degrees and the connector will come right off.

Set your old radio aside. If your RNS came with a plastic protector over the face, this should fit your Premium VII radio perfectly.

15. Install the antenna adaptor. Match the colors to each single antenna lead. You will be left with the double antenna lead to plug into your RNS.

16. Install your GPS antenna. This is where I’m really sorry I have no better pictures. The antenna included in my kit had a magnetic base and was about 1 inch square. Stick it to the support bar that goes across the dash. It sides right in and fits perfectly. The location is circled in the above picture. Neatly coil the slack to be placed behind the RNS. You can alternately mount the antenna wherever you wish, however make sure it’s on something metallic for best operation.

GPS receiver circuts are very sensitive these days, and the antenna can be mounted below the dash without having a significant effect on satellite reception. I get a fix on 9 satellites in this location.

17. If your car was equipped with the Aux In connector in the center console, you must do some pin swapping on the BLUE connector in the electrical harness. These steps are covered here.

The large black connector actually houses three smaller connectors. You will be removing the blue connector from the black connector. Use a small screwdriver to push the clip down on the blue connector and pull it from the black connector. One side of the blue connector is open so you can see the black housing inside of it. On the side of the blue connector you can see a little spot to pry and the blue housing will slide off of the black connector.

In the above picture, you can see that the Aux wiring is a separate wire bundle from the rest of the car. It contains a lime green wire, a gray wire, and a yellow wire. We will be moving the yellow and gray wires.

Using the smallest straight screwdriver you have (I used a 1.4mm driver), push down on the barb of the gray wire and push it toward the rear of the connector. After you reach a ceratin point, you can then gently pull the wire out from the connector.

If you look at the top of the black connector, you can see that each wire position is numbered, 1-6 on the top and this continues on to the bottom from 7-12.

You will swap the gray wire to pin 7 and the yellow wire to pin 1.

Re-assemble the black connector into the blue connector and then re-assemble the blue connector into the larger connector housing that connects to the radio.

18. Plug in your Sirius extension cable to the green connector on the back of the radio.

19. Plug in your GPS antenna connection to the blue connector on the back of the radio.

20. Carefully slide your RNS-510 into the dash opening, being mindful of the GPS and Satellite radio antenna wires. Make sure they are neatly bundled behind the radio and do not bind on anything.

21. At this point, you can turn your car on and test the functionality of your RNS unit. Note that it takes up to 15 minutes for the GPS to acquire a position fix. Until that time, it thinks you’re in Manhattan. Turn off the RNS and the car when you’ve assured that the RNS works. There will be plenty of time to play with it in a little bit :)

22. Replace the 4 torx screws that hold the head unit in, and re-assemble the dash. Just reverse the steps above. Note that all the screws used in this procedure are the same size and interchangeable.

The RNS unit is now installed, and will probably work, however you will need to perform the following steps to ensure that no trouble codes are stored and the RNS is configured properly.

Continued in next post...

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Disconnect the Satellite Receiver and Position Sensing (Compass) Module in the trunk

Above picture courtesy: TurbineSuburban.

1. Disconnect the two cables from the Sirius receiver in the trunk. This Sirius receiver is now unused in your car. I tucked the cables neatly into the gray liner so they don’t rattle.

This picture shows where the compass module resides. It's mounted on the metal that is under the cloth hat shelf in a Jetta. In the JSW and Golf/Rabbit/GTI it's mounted above the headliner.

2. Press the clip, push up on the module and spin the module 90 degrees so you can access the connector. Unclip it and secure the connector so it does not rattle. Rotate the position sensing module back to its original position so the tab locks and the module is secure.

The RNS -510 will provide compass information to the instrument cluster using information received via the satellite. Having the legacy position sensor and the RNS plugged in has been found to cause a lot of excess traffic on the CAN bus.

VCDS Programming

Hopefully if you plan on going 100% on this project, you either have or have access to a VCDS with the proper interface for CAN bus based cars. If not, consult the VAG-Tool locator. The link is available on TDIClub and is also available via a Google search.
Recode the CAN gateway for installed options

1. Select module 19 – CAN Gateway

2. Select “Coding -07”

3. Write down / copy your existing long coding.

4. Go through the long coding. You will uncheck the boxes next to “Digital Radio” and “Position Sensing.” Place a check mark in the box next to “Navigation” Exit long coding.

5. Click “Do It” to save your new long coding.

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Code your Navi Unit

The RNS-510 now will answer to either address word “ 37 – Navigation” or “56 – Radio.” Both are the same module and coding only needs to be performed on one of these. It does not matter which module you select here.

1. Select module 37 - Navigation

2. Select Coding - 07

3. Code your unit similar to the following screenshots:

The coding options are pretty self explanitory. Any reference to "Sound System" indicates that you have an amplifier under the drivers seat. Some '09 TDI loyal edition owners are reporting they have this as do some earlier model MKVs, so you should code your unit accordingly. Most cars can code just like this and be good.

Note that on the last page of coding options, there's a Display Variant. This allows you to select one of three different "skins" that the RNS has programmed in. The premium I believe is what comes on stock '09 Jetta TDIs with RNS-510. I perfer the highline. The sportline has some bright colors if you're into that kind of thing. Try them all.

4. Before you click "Do It!" you need to enter in a workshop, importer, and equipment code here or your unit will store a fault code that it is not coded correctly. I made up numbers, however you may do as you wish. Just don't leave everything at all zeroes. Once these are coded ,it appears they are not changable for some reason.

5. Click "Do It!"

Whenever you change coding on the RNS, you need to perform a reset of the unit for those changes to take effect. Hold the day/night, left, and right buttons that are adjacent to the DVD slot. The RNS will power off and then on again.

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Bluetooth Module Coding

If your car came equipped with the 9W3 factory Bluetooth module, you can enable the advanced functionality of this module with your RNS. On supported phones, it will download the phone book, missed calls, recent calls, and dialed calls list and display this information on the RNS. You will also receive caller ID information on the RNS.

This coding procedure is known to work on BT modules 1Z0 035 729 A and 1Z0 035 729 D. Modules with the same part number ending in B and C may also work with this coding. If you have the Volk-L, you cannot get this to give you the advanced functionality on the RNS-510. It is simply not supported, however you MAY be able to enable Bluetooth audio to the
RNS-510 if you have the Volk-L module.

Some older production North American RNS-510 modules do not have a “Phone” button, but have a “Mute” button instead. It is my understanding that this will work as the phone button, so don’t panic if your RNS says “Mute” as the fourth button down on the left side.

1. Select 77 - Telephone

2. Code your module as shown above

My car came coded as: 0000377
I had the Premium VII head unit and MFSW.

The new coding to enable the menus on the RNS is : 0010377

3. Click "Do It!"

You will need to reset the RNS-510 for this change to be recognized by the nav unit.

At this point, you're pretty much done. You can run an auto-scan / clear all DTCs with VCDS and should come up with no faults regarding navi, radio, digital radio, or position sensing. You may have a fault for "Tuner not enabled / activated" if you haven't activated your Sirius tuner inside the RNS. Keep in mind that you will need to contact Sirius and give them your new Sirius ID for your RNS-510. The RNS-510 has two Sirius IDs, one for Audio and one for Traffic. The traffic info is about $3 a month I belive. It's well worth it. It's been fairly accurate around Chicago and the RNS will figure traffic delays into navigatoin time to destination. You can get your IDs by turning to channel 0 on Sirius, or it's in the Setup menu.

Be sure to press Setup on the unit and go through the menus and set your preferences, especially enabling HD radio. You also need to enable Aux-In in the setup menu as well if you have it.

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Reserved for instructions on fishing satellite antenna. Will post at a later date when I get the pictures.

Last edited:

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
I'm in this thread. :D

Just wish I had the cabbage to REALLY be in this thread!

Would those numbers you made up actually be a security code if someone were to pop the radio? I.E., what keeps it secure?

BTW, excellent write up!

jryanvt

TDI
2010 jetta
dzcad90, thanks for the great guide. i've popped in other forums and said the same thing, but i'm waiting for someone with a 2010 jetta tdi to perform the upgrade from the rcd-510 to the rns-510, and maybe while they're at it upgrade the bluetooth. then hopefully that will give me the confidence to do the upgrade myself.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
jryanvt said:
dzcad90, thanks for the great guide. i've popped in other forums and said the same thing, but i'm waiting for someone with a 2010 jetta tdi to perform the upgrade from the rcd-510 to the rns-510, and maybe while they're at it upgrade the bluetooth. then hopefully that will give me the confidence to do the upgrade myself.
I think I talked to you on GolfMKV.com.

'10 is the same procedure.

Since your car has a bluetooth module already, it's plug and play with the bluetooth as well. Remove the old module, plug in the new one. It's one or two bolts and the electrical connector.

You're local. Get the parts and bring it over and we'll get it installed!! I bet Peter has a few units left. Also, if you are interested, I have a buyer for your RCD-510 :)

Ironman24

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat TDI DSG
I have a 2010 and received a RNS-510 from Peter this week. I plan on starting the install tomorrow. I also have a plug N play amp to install under the drivers seat and subs/amp for the trunk so the whole process will take me a while.

I am a little concerned with the coding on the 2010 due to very limited options I got when hooking up my vag com. According to Ross-Tech the 2010 has some MKVI control modules and there is very limited information on them.

I am supposed to log some controler channel maps for Ross Tech and email them over so they can start to look at the new controlers.

I should at least be able to get the RNS-510 and PnP amp installed tomorrow if the weather holds out. Will keep you posted...

Ironman24

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat TDI DSG
Well I got everything hooked up today including a 4 channel plug N play amp under the drivers seat and some bass in the trunk. I just have to put all the trim back together this week.

Couple of notes for a 2010...

The blue connector only had 3 wires, 2 of them were yellow and gray and already in the correct 1 and 7 positions so I didn't have to do that.

I did not need to use the antenna adaptor, that just plugged right in. I will be able to use it when I put the RCD-510 in my 09.

I don't have a sirus receiver in the trunk so I'm assuming it's built into the RCD-510? I'm assuming the module for the bluetooth is the one under the passengers seat. I have to call sirus this week and get that activates.

I unplugged the compass module on the rear deck lid but now I have no direction displayed in the MFD.

Other than some coding issues it really is plug N play. Everything on the unit seems to be working, it found my location after about 10 minutes. I used the SD card and that worked and I also synced up my phone via bluetooth and all my contacts showed up on screen.

I made all the changes listed in this thread with vag-com but I am still getting some stange fault codes in the instrument (17) and steering assist (44). I also have a lot of malfunction status for several controlers.

Don, can I send you a copy of my log for possible help with coding on the fault codes? Do I need to find a 2010 with a factory Navi unit?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Ironman24 said:
Don, can I send you a copy of my log for possible help with coding on the fault codes? Do I need to find a 2010 with a factory Navi unit?
Send it over. I'll take a look at it.

You don't have compass, do you get navi information in the MFD?

You might need to enable BAP on the '10. It's in long coding of the Navi unit.

Ironman24

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat TDI DSG
Don is the man for this install. He helped me get my issues figured out. Turns out part of them were from having the battery disconncted since I ran a wire through the firewall for my amp (not required for navi install) and then not resetting the navi unit by pressing the 3 buttons.

For coding, the only thing different I did in addition to what is listed above is check the shortpress steering wheel controls box and the BAP communication with the instrument cluster box (both are located on the last screen shot)

So, if you have a 2010 it's easier than a 2009. :)

jryanvt

TDI
2010 jetta
has anyone else done the rns-510 swap on a 2010 jetta tdi sedan? i am trying to figure out if i need a sirius extension cable. from the looks of ironman24's post, the sirius receiver might not be in the trunk. thanks.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Forgot you had a '10 when I PM'ed you. You don't need an extension cable. The install should be fairly easy :)

crsimpson

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I'd like to switch my factory radio in my 09 jetta to the rns-510 and id like to add the blue tooth as well. can anyone tell me the part number for the radio and any additional parts i'd need

TXRanger83

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
does anybody know where the compass is on the 2010 sedan, i read on vortex that its in the roof in the middle of the car is this correct? Also is this still a necessary step on the 2010s...and just a quick question about maps, how do you update them is it via DVD or is it another way?

Last edited:

Blue'10JettaTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan Blue
TXRanger83 said:
does anybody know where the compass is on the 2010 sedan, i read on vortex that its in the roof in the middle of the car is this correct? Also is this still a necessary step on the 2010s...and just a quick question about maps, how do you update them is it via DVD or is it another way?
When I installed my RNS510 the compass module was in the exact place the OP suggested (the headliner of the trunk). On my 2010 there was only the compass module with one connector that I removed. For those who asked (jryanvt) I have installed the RNS510 on a 2010 Jetta TDI sedan using the coding provided by the OP and Ironman24 (I used 0010477 for the phone not 0010377) and insured that when programming the navigation system I used a workshop code, importer number, and equipment number that didn't contain zeros (e.g. 12345, 123, 12345 respectively) so that it didn't throw fault code 01042. I bought mine from steveZ1 (euronavsolutions) on vortex if anyone wants to know.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Does anyone know how to get the day/night button to work. When I press it nothing happens. I was told that it had to be enabled, but I can't seem to find out where to enable it.

Blue'10JettaTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan Blue
BarryT82 said:
Does anyone know how to get the day/night button to work. When I press it nothing happens. I was told that it had to be enabled, but I can't seem to find out where to enable it.
Mine works using the coding provided in the first posts of this thread. I have a C model with HW06 and SW1000. (the day/night button only effects the map view)

TXRanger83

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I just installed this today, and for some reason I lost my AUX and I dont have turn by turn show up on my MFD. I have a 2010 so I skipped the pin swapping which I was told was unnecessary on 2010's, but other then that exactly followed the DIY? Any ideas on how I can enable these two features. Also when I hit the phone button nothing happens other then just muting the audio, I had previously coded the bluetooth to allow for the phonebook, and caller ID

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
TXRanger83 said:
I just installed this today, and for some reason I lost my AUX and I dont have turn by turn show up on my MFD. I have a 2010 so I skipped the pin swapping which I was told was unnecessary on 2010's, but other then that exactly followed the DIY? Any ideas on how I can enable these two features. Also when I hit the phone button nothing happens other then just muting the audio, I had previously coded the bluetooth to allow for the phonebook, and caller ID
Does anything at all from the radio / navi show up on the MFD? If not, you need to check two things. First check the long coding of the radio module (37) and see if the checkbox for Enable Bandwidth Allocation Protocol (BAP) is ticked. On cars with the white MFD this must be on. You need to also check to ensure that you disconnected the compass module. The compass module can cause excessive traffic on the CAN bus that can cause the navi unit not to be able to communicate with the instrument cluster.

With regard to aux in, did you enter the setup menu and enable aux in? If the aux item under "Media" is grayed out, this is likely the case. If the aux in is enabled and you just don't get sound, I'd check your connections in the back of the radio and try again. Though there's really no way for them not to be connected properly..

Finally, with regard to BT.. You need to recode your BT module to support display on the RNS. On my '09 I needed to change the third digit of soft coding from "0" to "1". The coding then read "0010377". Depending on the revision of BT module you have, the entire soft coding string may be different, however I think just changing that third digit from 0 to 1 might be the ticket. Just write down your old soft coding, you really can't screw this beyond reapir. If it doesn't work, just code back to what it was.

You will need to reset the RNS after you change the display protocol, and you MAY need to reset it after you change the telephone module coding. Hold "<" ">" and the day/night button adjacent to the DVD slot to reset the RNS.

Last edited:

TXRanger83

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
everything is now fully functional, I didnt have the BAP box clicked, forgot to enable AUX within the radio settings, then just chaged the 3rd digit to a 1...thanks for the help

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
Hey there, I posted in another thread about this, but it seems a lot more sensible to simply ask here, where my questions are on-topic.

I'm planning to upgrade my 9W2 to the 9W3, and replace my RCD-510 with an RNS-510, on my 2010 Golf Wagon. With that in mind, I'd love it if someone could provide any direction for the trim and dash disassembly in the Wagon, along with directions as to where I might find the connectors for the compass and satellite receiver (this is my Sirius receiver which I won't need after putting in the RNS, right?)

TIA for all the great info in this thread!

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
Following some advice that I found in a thread over at VWNavi, I went hunting for the compass module behind my passenger-side tail light, where it is apparently tucked-away on the Golf 4-doors. Can't seem to find it there. Where oh where is it hidden on the wagon!?! :p

09Jetta

TDI
09 Jetta
Any idea on the coding and plug and play install for Skoda install on 09 Jetta with Red highline display, mfsw, and premium 7 stereo (no RNS)? Holding off on install till I get this figured out.
I was told BT unit came precoded for my car and was told the code for my car was 000444 but dont have a clue where this needs to be inputed.
Can I just go to dealer and have them code? Will they even know what they are doing? Seller made very clear to not change code on BT!

Need help!! BT awaits!!

THanks
Greg

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Trepex said:
Following some advice that I found in a thread over at VWNavi, I went hunting for the compass module behind my passenger-side tail light, where it is apparently tucked-away on the Golf 4-doors. Can't seem to find it there. Where oh where is it hidden on the wagon!?! :p
It's in the headliner above the driver rear door IIRC. You need to partially pull the headliner down to access the module.

As installation goes, the trim should be fairly similar. It's been redesigned, but the basic design is similar. Otherwise, scope out VWVortex Golf VI section, I'm sure someone has a DIY for this.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
09Jetta said:
Any idea on the coding and plug and play install for Skoda install on 09 Jetta with Red highline display, mfsw, and premium 7 stereo (no RNS)? Holding off on install till I get this figured out.
I was told BT unit came precoded for my car and was told the code for my car was 000444 but dont have a clue where this needs to be inputed.
Can I just go to dealer and have them code? Will they even know what they are doing? Seller made very clear to not change code on BT!

Need help!! BT awaits!!

THanks
Greg
What is the part number of the module you received?

Trepex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
dzcad90 said:
It's in the headliner above the driver rear door IIRC. You need to partially pull the headliner down to access the module.

As installation goes, the trim should be fairly similar. It's been redesigned, but the basic design is similar. Otherwise, scope out VWVortex Golf VI section, I'm sure someone has a DIY for this.
Sorry, just to be clear, do you mean the left rear passenger door? The forums at vwvortex are finally up for searching again and I found a thread suggesting that it might be in the headliner at the rear hatch, slightly to the left of the shark fin radio antenna. Not sure whether you're maybe suggesting the same thing?

I'm going to have at it tonight. At least pulling down the trim at the rear hatch will let me see if it's there, then I may have to figure out how to remove the C-pillar in order to get enough give in the headliner to reach in and unplug...