HowTo: RNS-510 Installation + Coding ('09 Jetta)

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I'm not 100% sure, I've only done this on the Jetta Sedan. I know it's in the headliner. I thought I read in the wagon it's above the left rear door area and in the golf hatch it's near the location that you stated above.

penman236

TDI
'09 Jetta SportWagen 2.0 TDI
On my '09 JSW the compass module was above the headliner on the left of the shark fin antenna about 10" in from the rear. I was able to squeeze my arm in to disconnect it after removing the rear trim piece. Be sure to disconnect the compass module and not the other connector near by. It's for the hatch release and license lite.

Broncosaurs

TDI
2010 JSW (RIP), 2011 JSW
Hi, all. I have a 2010 Sportwagon with the factory RNS510. The car came with the lack luster bluetooth (9W2) so I did not have phone control with the radio touch screen. I got a new 9W3 "D" bluetooth module, installed it and recoded with the following:

9W3.Telephone 77...0013077

Nav 37....000004000400002000

The phone links up and all functions for the phone show up on the nav system. Yah..
BUT, after 4 minutes the radio/nav disconnects with the phone and I get a message stating this. Does anyone have an idea on what would cause the phone to disconnect? Not the phone, the phone worked well with the old bluetooth and I also tried the wife's phone with the same results. Also I lost the compass direction in the MFD that was next to the time on the top and I can't change the radio channels with the steering wheel buttons any more. Thanks for any help.

Brad

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Broncosaurs said:
I got a new 9W3 "D" bluetooth module, installed it and recoded with the following:

Are you sure about that coding?

If I am not mistaken, it should be 0010377.

I know mine is. Maybe the goofy coding is disconnecting the module.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Broncosaurs said:
Hi, all. I have a 2010 Sportwagon with the factory RNS510. The car came with the lack luster bluetooth (9W2) so I did not have phone control with the radio touch screen. I got a new 9W3 "D" bluetooth module, installed it and recoded with the following:

Nav 37....000004000400002000

The phone links up and all functions for the phone show up on the nav system. Yah..
BUT, after 4 minutes the radio/nav disconnects with the phone and I get a message stating this. Does anyone have an idea on what would cause the phone to disconnect? Not the phone, the phone worked well with the old bluetooth and I also tried the wife's phone with the same results. Also I lost the compass direction in the MFD that was next to the time on the top and I can't change the radio channels with the steering wheel buttons any more. Thanks for any help.

Brad
When you go from 9W2 to 9W3, you not only have to code the telephone module, you have to code the MFSW to use the phone button as a mute button. This would cause the MFSW to operate the BT module incorrectlyh, however I don't see it disconnecting the BT connection between phone and module. Did you install the BT antenna on the BT module? What kind of phones are you using?

Broncosaurs

TDI
2010 JSW (RIP), 2011 JSW
Thanks for the reply. I will recode the MFSW. This might take car of some of the other things I lost on the MFSW Like no compass, no turn directions and no direction by clock and no phone info. Yes have the antenna plug into the unit. The phone is a Samsung Alias2. The phone did work fine with the old 9W2. The phone also does link up and the RNS gives me the phone name,signal strength etc.

Fixmy59bug I think I just typed the number wrong on the thread. I will check just to make sure. Thanks

After reading the thread for the 10th time.... I need to check the BAP code in the radio 37 module. I dont see this option in the threads pictures but I do recall seeing this input when I was conected. I bet this will take care of the lost MFD displays. I do have the white MFD.

Again going thru the thread I do not see where the coding is for the MFSW. Is the code 0000732 (i have the automatic trans DSC) and don't see the code for this trans?

Thanks again, Brad

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Here's the VCDS long coding screen with the BAP coding. It's the last checkbox on the bottom.

This will restore the displays. Did you unplug the compass module?

Try the MFSW coding. I'll see if I can find it and post a link.

Broncosaurs

TDI
2010 JSW (RIP), 2011 JSW
Great. Thanks dzcad90. I will do this tonight (BAP) back on. I did not unplug the compass thinking because my car came with the RNS510 and I just replaced the 9W2 with a 9W3(E) I don't even have one to unplug because the compass is in the RNS. Am I thinking about this correctly?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Sorry, I missed where you had the RNS from the get-go. First check your coding on the RNS for the BAP option. If that doesn't work, I'd unplug your telephone module and see if that brings it back.

I'd also reset the RNS - Hold the left, right, and day/night buttons adjacent to the DVD slot on the RNS and see if that brings it back.

Broncosaurs

TDI
2010 JSW (RIP), 2011 JSW
Recoding, checking the BAP box to ON took care of all the MFD and wheel buttons. I now have the phone, nav and compass on the MFD. The radio change channel buttons on the wheel also are working. Still, the Bluetooth drops connection in a few minutes after linking. I even tried to place the phone right next to the 9W3 module. I got the antenna used, maybe its bat. I ordered a new one yesterday. Will be in Friday. I hope this is the answer. Any other ideas?

Thanks Brad

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
What kind of phone(s) are you linking to the BT module? Is it possible that the phones are picking up on another device that is higher in the pairing order (i.e. a BT headset, other car, etc..)?

Broncosaurs

TDI
2010 JSW (RIP), 2011 JSW
Samsung Alias 2 phone. I dont have any thing else in the car bluetooth. The connection is lost no matter where I am, work , home, store. I tried the wifes phone and it also loses connection. I sure hope it is the antenna.

Thanks Brad

PS what happened? " 97 Jetta TDI - R.I.P. 10/22/03
"

Broncosaurs

TDI
2010 JSW (RIP), 2011 JSW
Well, got new antenna and still cuts out. Put in the 9W2 and recoded and all works on the bluetooth connection. Put back in the 9W3 and the connection drops in about 4 min. Anyone?

Brad

Broncosaurs

TDI
2010 JSW (RIP), 2011 JSW
Recoded the 9W3 from 0010377 to 0010477. Saw this some where else and again no help.

Brad

Peter D.

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen (on order)
I'm going to tackle this installation in my '09 JSW but have a question about the Satellite radio extension cable.

How is it routed from under the passenger seat and up to and behind the radio in the dash? I understand it involves pulling up some interior panels and going behind the glovebox but I'm looking for diagrams and instructions before I break something.

quailallstar

TDI
Golf 7 R-Line Variant
17. If your car was equipped with the Aux In connector in the center console, you must do some pin swapping on the BLUE connector in the electrical harness. These steps are covered here.

The large black connector actually houses three smaller connectors. You will be removing the blue connector from the black connector. Use a small screwdriver to push the clip down on the blue connector and pull it from the black connector. One side of the blue connector is open so you can see the black housing inside of it. On the side of the blue connector you can see a little spot to pry and the blue housing will slide off of the black connector.

In the above picture, you can see that the Aux wiring is a separate wire bundle from the rest of the car. It contains a lime green wire, a gray wire, and a yellow wire. We will be moving the yellow and gray wires.

Using the smallest straight screwdriver you have (I used a 1.4mm driver), push down on the barb of the gray wire and push it toward the rear of the connector. After you reach a ceratin point, you can then gently pull the wire out from the connector.

If you look at the top of the black connector, you can see that each wire position is numbered, 1-6 on the top and this continues on to the bottom from 7-12.

You will swap the gray wire to pin 7 and the yellow wire to pin 1.

Re-assemble the black connector into the blue connector and then re-assemble the blue connector into the larger connector housing that connects to the radio.
In regards to cars that came with the Aux input... My Passat has that same Aux hook up and I just upgraded the radio to an RCD 510. Do you know if the RCD 510 and RNS 510 use the same pin assignments for this? I also installed an MDI iPod unit and the RCD 510 doesn't seem to recognize it or let me recode it. iPod connects though which is the odd part.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
The RCD-510 and RNS-510 have the same pinouts. If you hooked the MDI up to the CAN bus, you should at least see the option for it on the RCD. The AUX wiring is for audio alone.

Can you speak to the MDI with the VCDS? Did you recode module 19 - CAN Gateway to tell it you have the MDI (I think it's called digital music player..)

qtj

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Hi I have a 2011 VW Jetta TDI and have recently swapped my rns-315 to a rns-510. It was all a plug and play operation. Why I did the switch was to get Video in Motion. So I had the Rns-510 unlocked with no can bus related type module. It works great with the DVD and all my factory modules are working properly. I wanted to go a step further and get Aux video into the Rns-510. So I ordered a multimedia interface VW RNS-E from T-era. Here is a link - http://www.t-era.co.uk/Pub/default.a...E_43&ID=201538 I connected the module up, it connects to power, GND, and Can bus High, and Can bus low. It works..., but only as a reverse camera and does not have the video avaliable on the screen in the media menu like it supposed to.

Here's what my question is, How can I add in VCDS on the Can Bus Gateway the tvdb tuner? In the instructions it states bad grammer and all-

"ATTENTION!!! Interface cooperates with firmaware about numbers 522 and 102x. Its is required activation TV in setups CAN- Gateway Too:
Tiguan, Golf5, Touran, EOS, Jetta -- Address 19- Byte 3- Bit 4.
Touareg (08), T5 (08)- Address 19- Byte 4- Bit 4.
Press <Media> Button, next <TV> if DVD disc was restored, or <Media>, next <Video>, Then <TV> if music was restored."

But it wont work for me because my Can Bus Gateway only has a long code of 102200 no byte 3 avaliable. Can anyone help me out on programming this and getting it working.

If I can't get the TVDB tuner on this CAN bus gateway could I possibly purchase another Can bus gateway, Downgrade firmware?, let's say from a 2010 Jetta would that work? Would I screw my car over? Are they so vehicle specific? Anyone have experience? Thanks in advance for the help!

Here's my Gateway Info -

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: 6N0-909-901-6R.clb
Part No SW: 6N0 909 901 HW: 5C0 937 087 A
Component: GW-K-CAN TP20 0226
Coding: 100200
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: F0E55F619A25

1 Fault Found:
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 5751 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2002.14.20
Time: 19:04:27

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
The issue likely lies in that there are three or four different versions of the RNS-510 unit. One for North America, one for Europe, and one for Asia, and possibly one for Australia, but I think they get the European unit.

Regardless, the EU and the North American versions all have different firmware loaded. It's possible that the North American firmware does not support this function.

If your CAN gateway supports long coding (which it should) then you should have a byte three - 10 02 00 (10 being byte one, 02 being byte 2 and 00 being byte 3). When you select long coding, you should see various check boxes. It might not be labeled TV Tuner, as in North America that's not an available option. (You might be able to tick the box though..)

Regardless, I've never seen a module not work if it's not enabled in the CAN Gateway. The CAN gateway will throw a fault if it sees a module it's not coded for, or if it doesn't see a module it is coded for but it generally works regardless.

My bet is on the firmware differences between EU and NA units. The firmware is not compatible between EU and NA units either. Completely different feature sets, frequencies for radio reception, DVB vs. IBOC, etc..

qtj

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the response. That all makes sense. I think what im going to try is get a canbus and try it out. Just another waste of cash but we will see.

ZeroCool

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW TDI
I am going to replace the plastic around the center console in your photos.

The guy before me had gummy stucked-on stuff, and it just doesn't look nice.

I have climatic... I notice that the piece in the middle seems to just be plastic.... i started lifting it up, but I assume I just have to give it a little bit of a tug to get the screw, so I can get to the rest to remove?

emdeeaitch

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Koolertron units

Has anyone here tried or know about the Koolertron brand units which describe themselves as an "OEM style" clone version of the RNS 510. Is it decent quality or possible the same exact vendor VW is buying from? Does it install the same?

Thanks for any info.

hawleywood1028

TDI
1998 jetta TDI K&N intake 2006 tdi jetta 5 spd
Just got a clean 2006 package 1 car can I upgrade to the RNS-510 with the MFD+ in dash and new steering wheel with controls.
or is it out of the realm of cost effective

gothicreader

TDI
09-JETTA TDI & 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Hello -
I need some advice; VW under warranty had to replace my RNS 510 due to the DVD portion not working and I was unable to upgrade the navigation map.

I have a 2009 TDI Jetta.

I noticed with this new RNS 510 I have a phone button versus the mute button. My car is equip with factory bluetooth.

How do I get into the secret menu to get the version info and firmware of the unit?
Also, I'd like to use the voice command that includes the dialing pad via my RNS 510 - is this possible? Or do I need to buy an upgraded bluetooth unit?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

emdmijo

TDI
Jetta TDI 2012
Please help!!!!!

recently I purchased a RNS-510 i installed it, not that it was much of an install jus plug n play type of deal, but when i connected it i punched in the code and it turned ON fine but there was no sound???? the GPS is working everything comes on fine jus no SOUNDno hissing no nothing. Is there something i need to do to get this thing to work like press a few buttons or something??? Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.... THANKS in ADVANCE....
p.s. i have a jetta tdi 2012

williamgd2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Jryanvt I did the install on my 2010 Jetta and you don't need the sirius extension cable. The install is just as listed in this post except I had to do a mod to get my bluetooth to work properly. The mod was a new wire harness from the rns510 to the Bluetooth module under the passenger seat Ebay around $100 . You might not have to do that.

stinnett25

TDI
2012 Jetta
recently I purchased a RNS-510 i installed it, not that it was much of an install jus plug n play type of deal, but when i connected it i punched in the code and it turned ON fine but there was no sound???? the GPS is working everything comes on fine jus no SOUNDno hissing no nothing. Is there something i need to do to get this thing to work like press a few buttons or something??? Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.... THANKS in ADVANCE....
p.s. i have a jetta tdi 2012
I don't have any answers for you but I also have a 2012 and I'm wanting the unit with NAV. I've already got the double din unit in my car just didn't get the NAV. I've got Sirius and iPhone connection along with blue tooth. Not sure what the model is on the unit. I am definatily wanting the factory NAV put in. Just not sure what all intails on getting it to work. Will there be some code problems if I were to swap mine out with a NAV unit? Should I already have the antenna for NAV or would I need to install one?

rwehuman

on banned subject probation
TDI
2012 TDI jetta
Is the process reversed for removing the RNS-510? I hate mine and would gladly sell it.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Is the process reversed for removing the RNS-510? I hate mine and would gladly sell it.
The physical process for removing (or replacing) the radio in any Mk5 is exactly the same. However, what the coding needs to be changed to depends entirely on what you intend to replace your RNS-510 with.

Have Fun!

Don

rwehuman

on banned subject probation
TDI
2012 TDI jetta
I should note that I'll be doing this on my 2012 TDI Jetta and my girl's 2013 TDI Jetta . . . . . . .*pauses for the crowd to say "awwwwww matching Jettas". . . . Ideally I'll be putting in my Kenwood KVT-512 or the newer model of it. Thank you very much and great thread.