HowTo: OEM Bi-Xenon/OEM Fog Lights/CECM Upgrade/LED Euro Tails in a 2010 Jetta Sedan

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
For those who may be interested in what is involved in upgrading their 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG in my case) to OEM Bi-Xenons, OEM Fog lights (controlled by the CECM), CECM Upgrade, and European Hella LED Tail lights with rear fog light this is my write up. Please let me know if you find anything out of place and I'll modify it.

Link to PDF: http://njsphoto.com/doctemp/Bi-Xenon Upgrade.pdf

Hope this helps!
Nick

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
You have pics of the LED tail lights? is swapping out the ECU needed for the LED lights? or just vcds needed for cold light diagnostics disabled?

OhTDI10

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Can we see some pics? I am thinking about changing out the lights on my car as well. I would love to see pics of your work.

06JettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What was required for the installation of the headlamps? Did you you have to drop the bumpercover? How long did it take? Did you need a vag-com for the install of the headlamps or the foglamps?

SlyMosquito

TDI
2010 Jetta DSG
Hey Nick, the how to looks great and so do the pics of the finished product! I am considering upgrading my headlights to projectors and adding fogs just like you did and now that I have your how to I think I might just take the plunge! I am curious, though, on about how much you spent in parts for the headlights, fog lights, euro switch...

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
Just what I need. Thanks. Looking forward to install the fogs and bi-xenons.

Where you got the bi-xenos.

rustytrumbone

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, Black, DSG
Cup Edition

Nick,

Unbelievable job! I have not seen anyone get the headlights installed correctly. Long story, but I have a 2010 Cup Edition (fully optioned-black), and attempted to have the conversion done by a VW dealer in Chicago and they could not do it, and said they did not think it was possible. I have the OEM HID headlights, levelers functioning, but no high beams.

What are your suggestions? I have the low beams but no highs. I like the rear LED's as well, what a difference! Your car looks great.

Thanks,

Jeff

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Thanks Jeff!

If you have a low line CECM you can easily get the halogen hi-beams to work by following my directions here:

Requirements:
VCDS
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan ONLY with OEM Bi-Xenons
Bi-Xenon already enabled on the CECM

I came across this mod while upgrading my 2010 MK5 Jetta TDI Sedan's (which has MK6 central electronics) halogen headlights to the OEM Bi-Xenon headlights from MK5 GLI/GTI's and this was a temporary workaround for not having the bi-xenon shutters wired in yet.

As an added bonus, this also disables the open door chime!

On with the steps:

First, the instrument cluster has to be coded to GB (Great Britain) by going to 17-Instruments and click coding:

Then long coding helper, switch byte 0 from (20) US to (40) GB:

Hit esc when done.

New coding should look as follows, US (old):271F00 to GB (new):471F00:

Click "Do It." You will now notice that your cluster has changed units to metric and Celsius. You can change these back through the MFD menus.

Now, enter 09-Cent Elect:

Then coding, followed by long coding helper. Go to the very last byte (29) and check "Momentary switch for high beam":

Hit ESC then Do It to set the new coding.

Test!

If you want the true bi-xenon support you will need to upgrade your CECM and wire in the triggers. The info is in my write-up.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Nick

Last edited:

rustytrumbone

TDI
Nick,

How did you learn all of this information? Are you a VW engineer? There are no qualified people around here that have that kind of knowledge? Holly crap, you should run a tech support business. Amazing.

I do have a buddy who is a VW Tech at local dealer here in Pittsburgh, and I will ask him if he thinks he can perform this work. Right now I have no connection between the CECM and the headlights for the shutter control. I doubt it though, he has tried to help me with another issue on my 06 Golf with a Vag Com issue and was clueless. I wanted him to code for a CD changer so I could wire into the stock radio for a direct connection to my satellite radio. Needless to say, I'm still using the FM modulator.

Where did you get your rear LED's? Are they the dual LED that lights up in 2 colors when the turn signal is on? I have to get these things, wow.

Do you have a shop? I would seriously bring the car to you, and pay to have this done correctly. I don't want my buddy to turn this into an experiment that he knows diddly about.

Thanks,

Jeff

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Nick,

How did you learn all of this information? Are you a VW engineer? There are no qualified people around here that have that kind of knowledge? Holly crap, you should run a tech support business. Amazing.

I do have a buddy who is a VW Tech at local dealer here in Pittsburgh, and I will ask him if he thinks he can perform this work. Right now I have no connection between the CECM and the headlights for the shutter control. I doubt it though, he has tried to help me with another issue on my 06 Golf with a Vag Com issue and was clueless. I wanted him to code for a CD changer so I could wire into the stock radio for a direct connection to my satellite radio. Needless to say, I'm still using the FM modulator.

Where did you get your rear LED's? Are they the dual LED that lights up in 2 colors when the turn signal is on? I have to get these things, wow.

Do you have a shop? I would seriously bring the car to you, and pay to have this done correctly. I don't want my buddy to turn this into an experiment that he knows diddly about.

Thanks,

Jeff
I am not a VW tech, just a car/computer nerd who loves this stuff as a hobby, thank you for the kind words though.

Most of the information I used to perform these upgrades to my car was found sorting through lots of spotty information all over the internet in maybe a months worth of time. That and visiting the dealer a few times trying to figure out which specific VW repair wires were needed to run the bi-xenon triggers and fog lights.

Is your car a 6 speed or DSG? I've hear mixed reports that the CECM that I used in my car may or may not work with the 6 speed but I can't say for sure. It wasn't even certain that It'd work in my car, but I pulled the trigger on a $250 part and it worked out! Phew! lol

I got the LED tails from ECStuning. They are the dark cherry hella ones that in "euro" mode the directionals blink amber and the brakes/tails are red.

I have a shop that I work in an could certainly help you out with the modifications if you'd like although I'm a decent journey from you.

rustytrumbone

TDI
Nick,

You have no idea how long this process has taken to find answers to this problem. I consider this a blessing to have found someone who knows whats going on. I even have a friend in Germany who was calling all over the place to find out what could be done about this. We have no clue.

My car is the DSG, so no worries about the 6 speed issues.

I would like to do the rear LED's like your car as well. Do you have the list of the necessary wires, connectors, etc. that I would need?

Right now this car is on the garage under a cover with 500 miles on it. I won't be bringing it out until the weather improves. I hate to use a new car in the midst of this mess we have going on. Also, I have my Golf for the winter, so that's my ground and pound machine.

I could get all the parts and necessary items together,and when the weather breaks, make an appointment to bring it up there and have you do it. No problem. I drive all over the place for work, so no big deal. Do you know where SUNY Cortland is?

Also, I can give you my email so you have all of my info.

Jeff

engortho@yahoo.com

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
Nick,

You have no idea how long this process has taken to find answers to this problem. I consider this a blessing to have found someone who knows whats going on. I even have a friend in Germany who was calling all over the place to find out what could be done about this. We have no clue.

My car is the DSG, so no worries about the 6 speed issues.

I would like to do the rear LED's like your car as well. Do you have the list of the necessary wires, connectors, etc. that I would need?

Right now this car is on the garage under a cover with 500 miles on it. I won't be bringing it out until the weather improves. I hate to use a new car in the midst of this mess we have going on. Also, I have my Golf for the winter, so that's my ground and pound machine.

I could get all the parts and necessary items together,and when the weather breaks, make an appointment to bring it up there and have you do it. No problem. I drive all over the place for work, so no big deal. Do you know where SUNY Cortland is?

Also, I can give you my email so you have all of my info.

Jeff

engortho@yahoo.com
Pretty much every single thing you need to get a hold of is in my PDF writeup at the top of this page. Do you plan to install fog lights as well? I'm assuming you already have the 10-12 pin adaptors for the headlights and the headlights themselves. You'll need a few vw repair wires, a euro switch (if front/rear fog is desired), the LED tails if you want them, fogs/wiring/grills (ecs tunings has nice kits) and the CECM (order it from Paul at Keffer VW). That should pretty much cover it other then automotive wire, solder, shrink tube, wire loom and things like that unless you plan to have me do it in which case I have most of that.

That would work for me. I do know where Cortland is, about 3 hours from me (in Albany).

rustytrumbone

TDI
I have the Thunder Bunny front grill, and I don't think the fog lights are available as an OEM replacement pannel, so I will prob leave it alone. I want to do the rear LED's, but there are lots of choices. I prefer the Hella's like you have.

As far as the rest of the stuff, I will order whatever is necessary. That's no problem. If you have certain things that can be used, fine, but I am prepared to have you do it.

I like the kits from ECS, but they are back ordered, so its going to take a month or so to get them. Do I need the tail light wiring harness?

I will begin to get this stuff together. If ECS can't get the parts soon enough, I will check with TM Tuning to get parts, and they usually have everything in stock.

The Euro switch will give me control over the lights correct? Daytime running lights etc.? On/Off, even parking lights.

Did you install HID's on the fog lights? or just Halogen?

How do they work alongside the OEM HID headlights? Do they make a difference?

I have the headlights on the car, with the 10-12 pin adapters, and leveling kit working. That's it.

I will send you a pic of the exposed wires left there by the mechanic. Don't know if it requires to take all of that stuff apart again, but either way I'll show you what I've got.

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
I have the Thunder Bunny front grill, and I don't think the fog lights are available as an OEM replacement pannel, so I will prob leave it alone. I want to do the rear LED's, but there are lots of choices. I prefer the Hella's like you have.

As far as the rest of the stuff, I will order whatever is necessary. That's no problem. If you have certain things that can be used, fine, but I am prepared to have you do it.

I like the kits from ECS, but they are back ordered, so its going to take a month or so to get them. Do I need the tail light wiring harness?

I will begin to get this stuff together. If ECS can't get the parts soon enough, I will check with TM Tuning to get parts, and they usually have everything in stock.

The Euro switch will give me control over the lights correct? Daytime running lights etc.? On/Off, even parking lights.

Did you install HID's on the fog lights? or just Halogen?

How do they work alongside the OEM HID headlights? Do they make a difference?

I have the headlights on the car, with the 10-12 pin adapters, and leveling kit working. That's it.

I will send you a pic of the exposed wires left there by the mechanic. Don't know if it requires to take all of that stuff apart again, but either way I'll show you what I've got.
Ahh, forgot that you have the Cup! Ok, so no fogs, yet anyway. Or you could ask KIDVersion1 on VWVortex what he did:

You do not need tail light harnesses, save your money. I will swap the pins.

Since you'll be adding the Euro tails, if you want the rear fog light to be functional, you'll need the Euro switch. If you don't want the rear fog light then no need for the switch (because no front fogs either). Unless you want the option to have just your running lights on.

My fog lights are just normal, OEM halogen...not HID's...yet anyway. I'm sure they'd work fine and usually offer a substantial increase in light output.

I do not have the auto-leveling installing in my car and wouldn't know really how all of that works.

Exposed wires??? What did they do?

rustytrumbone

TDI
Purple wires to nowhere

I like the front of the Cup Edition without the fogs. But, I look forward to the LED tails. Do you have the working rear fog? That would be nice.

I would prefer the Euro switch. Will it allow me to shut off the DRL's? That bothers me.

I bought the auto leveling sensors and wiring at TM Tuning, and they work nice. When the car powers up, the lights angle up and down as a self test. Pretty cool, and they function well.

I am attaching a couple pics from my phone camera of each headlight side of the car to shoe you the wires that are not attached to anything, but they do have tape on the ends. Wire is kind of purple in color in spite of the marginal pics. Are these wires related to the shutter control? They are the only wires that I see that are not used for anything. How do I post these pics........?? :eek:

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
I like the front of the Cup Edition without the fogs. But, I look forward to the LED tails. Do you have the working rear fog? That would be nice.

I would prefer the Euro switch. Will it allow me to shut off the DRL's? That bothers me.

I bought the auto leveling sensors and wiring at TM Tuning, and they work nice. When the car powers up, the lights angle up and down as a self test. Pretty cool, and they function well.

I am attaching a couple pics from my phone camera of each headlight side of the car to shoe you the wires that are not attached to anything, but they do have tape on the ends. Wire is kind of purple in color in spite of the marginal pics. Are these wires related to the shutter control? They are the only wires that I see that are not used for anything. How do I post these pics........?? :eek:
I actually like the Cup front end better without the fogs myself. The rear fog does function on my car however you will lose one reverse light.

You can disable the DRL's without any mods at all. Just need a VCDS and turn them off. The Euro switch will allow you to have just running lights on though. To have the rear fog work you will absolutely need the Euro switch.

Thanks for the info on the leveling! I may add it at some point.

The two purple wires coming off of the adapter harnesses are indeed the shutter triggers. If you supply 12v to one of them with the lights on you'll hear the shutter flip and see the beam change to high.

To post pics you will have to host them somewhere. Imageshack.us is a free host. You don't have to post them though, I know which ones you're talking about.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
AMD, Are you sure that the shutter wire uses a +12v trigger?

If I remember correctly from my HIDPlanet days, These projectors appear to be E55 units which use a variable ground signal to activate the solenoid and keep it activated.

For lack of a better description, They use a "hard" ground to activate the solenoid since it requires a higher current, then a "soft" ground to keep them activated since it requires less current to actually keep the magnets energized.

Kind of similar to how a xenon bulb requires high current to start the arc, then reduces the current to keep it going.

amd is the best

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Sedan DSG
I am 100% certain these are triggered by a 12v source. I checked the trigger wire with a multimeter before I hooked everything up to be sure that they supplied a 12v source and they did. I also had the lights on and tried grounding the trigger wire which did nothing (and also couldn't hurt anything) then supplied 12v to the trigger and they flipped.

andy7079

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Touareg
I'm not certain how VW does the headlights (haven't looked into how they work yet). Couldn't you use the existing high beam 12V to trigger the shutters? Wouldn't that avoid the whole CECM swap?

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
amd is best,

where did you tie in the rheostat power? I've heard red/yellow stipe wire from the headlight switch. I put inan add-a-circuit in location 5 of the fuse panel, do you haver a p/n for fuse block repair wire?

Last edited:

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
I installed the Dynabeams per above and http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3251102-DIY-DynaBeams-Workaround with the rheostat http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1663888. Need to change the halogens now, they look very yellow. You must select GB to get high beams to work since the dynabeams dont have a shutter to open for high beam.

if you choose Australia, you also get high beams, but can unselect alt. speed display in the MFD

there was not the disable high beam bit, but it still worked.
Worked on my 9.2010 Jetta. Thanks Aaron @ Bora Parts (bleach bora)

Last edited:

rustytrumbone

TDI
Nick,

I wanted to make certain the parts I order are correct, and then make arrangements to bring the car up to NY and have you get it sorted out.

Thanks,

Jeff

Uker

TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Grey
Absolutely amazing. Pretty much what I want in my car post-summer. If you don't mind me asking, what was the total $ you paid for all of the parts?

Again, great job man....car looks amazing