How's my timing? (VCDS graph)

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
I hope I selected the right engine in VCDS, I have a 2003 ALH.
I had my timing belt replaced about 6k miles ago, so I figured I'd check my timing to make sure things are doing ok.
I remember vaguely when my belt was done my mechanic said was on the high side, near the advanced line.
Is it OK to run the car with the timing like this?

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Too advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Am I risking any damage by running it there? I might not have time to adjust it for a few days AND I've never done it myself so I'll have to learn first. :(

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
You're not going to risk the pistons kissing the valves in that situation. After static mechanical timing I've been off the graph before. That timing adjustment will be the fine tuned one to get it within the upper bound. I usually run mine halfway between the nominal line and the upper advanced line, give or take a bit. But I personally wouldn't run it that advanced.

It's an easy adjustment to do, but realize that MINOR adjustments will make that timing location move a lot.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The value in the timing box next to fuel temp, for best fuel economy and timing control you want it closer to 49, it'll plot it just below the blue line.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
It's not difficult to adjust. Loosen the 3 outer bolts, (13mm?) and with a larger
wrench (17mm?)on the center shift the pump. I've found that rather than trying
to manually move it, take a light hammer and tap it.

You're too advanced, you want to move it back towards the car.

You already have VCDS by the looks of things, fire the car back up
and check. As Nero points out, you really want to be on that blue line.
It only takes a couple of thou to make a difference.

IDparts has a video on the adjustment.
https://www.idparts.com/adjusting-alh-injection-pump-timing-a-98.html

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
You're not going to risk the pistons kissing the valves in that situation. After static mechanical timing I've been off the graph before. That timing adjustment will be the fine tuned one to get it within the upper bound. I usually run mine halfway between the nominal line and the upper advanced line, give or take a bit. But I personally wouldn't run it that advanced.
It's an easy adjustment to do, but realize that MINOR adjustments will make that timing location move a lot.
That was my main concern, thank you!

The value in the timing box next to fuel temp, for best fuel economy and timing control you want it closer to 49, it'll plot it just below the blue line.
thanks! I'll keep an eye on that, I'm definitely just learning how to use VCDS. :)

Yep -- I'd adjust it back a bit. As noted VERY SMALL adjustments will make for big moves!
sounds good thanks!

It's not difficult to adjust. Loosen the 3 outer bolts, (13mm?) and with a larger
wrench (17mm?)on the center shift the pump. I've found that rather than trying
to manually move it, take a light hammer and tap it.

You're too advanced, you want to move it back towards the car.

You already have VCDS by the looks of things, fire the car back up
and check. As Nero points out, you really want to be on that blue line.
It only takes a couple of thou to make a difference.

IDparts has a video on the adjustment.
https://www.idparts.com/adjusting-alh-injection-pump-timing-a-98.html
Awesome, thanks so much! I'll try and get to it this weekend. I'm glad it's just a small adjustment and I don't have to do anything too drastic. Is there a torque spec on the pump sprocket adjustment bolts?

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
That was my main concern, thank you!
thanks! I'll keep an eye on that, I'm definitely just learning how to use VCDS. :)
sounds good thanks!
Awesome, thanks so much! I'll try and get to it this weekend. I'm glad it's just a small adjustment and I don't have to do anything too drastic. Is there a torque spec on the pump sprocket adjustment bolts?
If the bolts are bluish they are one time use and should be replaced. If gold, they can be reused. 18ft/lbs if I remember correctly. Replacement ones will be the gold ones. 13mm deep socket and a short extension worked well for me. Moving the big wrench so little I could barely tell I moved it got me from a bit below the blue line to a tad above. Get your car up to temp first.

If you search the site for this topic you find a ton of helpful additional info.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
If the bolts are bluish they are one time use and should be replaced. If gold, they can be reused. 18ft/lbs if I remember correctly. Replacement ones will be the gold ones. 13mm deep socket and a short extension worked well for me. Moving the big wrench so little I could barely tell I moved it got me from a bit below the blue line to a tad above. Get your car up to temp first.
If you search the site for this topic you find a ton of helpful additional info.
Woahhh haha thanks. Checked photos from my timing belt change and they're blue :(

Thank you for the extra tips, I'll place the order and get it don'e as soon as I can. Such a great forum thank you all!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
heh, looks like my graph. but that's what it takes to push a tired old AHU into past 200hp with mostly stock parts at 6500 rpms lol. poor thing!
yea too advanced. you want it right in the middle

VE1.9

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLX 5spd
I hope I selected the right engine in VCDS, I have a 2003 ALH.

Well it turns out you selected the wrong engine. You chose <04/1999 (April 1999 and older), you have a 2003, so you're supposed to choose 05/1999> (May 1999 and newer). I'm surprised nobody else caught that. The reading will actually fall closer to the green line when selecting 05/1999>, but will probably still be a bit advanced.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Well it turns out you selected the wrong engine. You chose <04/1999 (April 1999 and older), you have a 2003, so you're supposed to choose 05/1999> (May 1999 and newer). I'm surprised nobody else caught that. The reading will actually fall closer to the green line when selecting 05/1999>, but will probably still be a bit advanced.
I noticed it didn't look "quite" right, but at 76 he's way high.
I'm a bit advanced at 59, and I should try Nero's suggestion of ~50
to improve FE. But mine's running so good I can't be bothered.

On the "stretch" bolts, at the levels of torque required to firm up the
3 bolts, I'm not fussed about them getting over stretched. I have no idea
what mine are, or what the torque spec is. Just don't overdo it.