How-to : Warm up your TDI in -40 degrees, shown by VW dealer in Canada!

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
tres jettas
Dang. As cheap as FrostHeaters are, I would think they'd be way more popular. Hardly snows where I live, but it's on my wish list even so.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I'm not sure why so many struggle with the warmup concept.
RPM alone will not speed things up significantly, as there's no load involved.
Cold, unlubricated components will wear at accelerated rates, so unnecessarily increasing rpm without a load, is counter productive.
Driving in a gentle, controlled manner will allow the quickest warmup as it loads the engine at low RPM.
Holding DSGs\Autos in lower gears only increases revs and stresses cold components\fluids unnecessarily.
Leave you slushbox alone as the ECU\TCU is smart enough on most modern vehicles to monitor and regulate things as best needed in order to reach operating temps. Some control cooling circuits, block off transmission coolers, allow excess torque converter slip to heat up the fluid, etc.

You guys aren't driving tractors from the 50s any more..... these are advanced systems and you're trying to re-invent the wheel in my opinion.

Depending on what gen/model you're dealing with, they each have their own ways of assisting the warmup process when things get brisk.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Did we catch that from, what I can tell, the video is of a dealer employee picking up their car and not driving it to their liking?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did we catch that from, what I can tell, the video is of a dealer employee picking up their car and not driving it to their liking?
I suspect it's a customer's car being "warmed up" by a tech after some service or something. Butchers everywhere!

vinsgosselin

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I suspect it's a customer's car being "warmed up" by a tech after some service or something. Butchers everywhere!
Yeah, it's my car, a 2015 Golf TDI, I dropped it off at the dealer on the evening, and this is how to tech warmed it up in the morning before service. It got to -40 degrees celcius (= -40 F too) before wind chill that morning. Since that event a few gasket had to be changed, the car was slowly leaking oil from the valve cover and the crank (was done at another dealership).

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Having a dash cam is worth it. And people wonder why dealers get a bad name and rep. I hope your experience with your new dealer went better than this.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Well it wouldn't be the first example of incompetence from a VW dealer, eh?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I still had a 2L, I would challenge this by saying let's log our parameters to validate our theories.
I'd love to see 2 people gather the data and present it.
One sitting idle "flooring it" to obtain operating temps, and the other just firing it up and driving around the block to reach the same result.
It would be very interesting to see how much difference there is between the different approaches (if we had actual metrics).

Please also notice the "significantly" portion of my previous statement.... I agree that RPM will help, but I'm sure you agree that cold, non viscous fluids like oils will accelerate bearing\ring\mechanical wear as we hold 2.5k cold.

pedroYUL

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW(brother)
Don't all Canadian cars come with block or frostheaters?...that would've helped.

@vinsgosselin : my French is so rusty I'm not even going to try :cry:...but I am actually impressed your town has a VW dealership, not that they are any better than a regular shop. Actually, the reason I started learning more and more about my 1st TDI (BEW still have it) was a simple bottom EGR pipe that broke 3 times and took 2 dealers to fix, one in Montreal and the other one in St-Hyacinthe.

I knew I couldn't keep up with the stupidity and spend rate of going to dealers every time.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not sure the DPF being 3/4 full of ash would create a restriction.... if it was 100% full sure, but then you'd be popping a whole wack of codes due the pressure differentials and stuff.

On that note, how many ml is that at, and at what milage?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Not to start bring oils into the mix but that's why I fill both CRs with 0W30. It pumps very quick at low temp, once oils are pumping around the engine, they are protecting. Again keeping an engine at steady state rpm ie. 2.5k rpm does not induce wear. Shock loading ie hard acceleration/ laboring an engine especially when cold does.

My CR golf and my CR jetta warm up at two different rates. Excat same engine . Golf warms up alot quicker due to the dpf being 3/4 full of ash and seems to be a restriction. Reality is your never going to have real world results excatly as you want them to saw X warms up faster than Y. We all drive at different speeds, roads and under very different weather conditions. I logged the warm up cycle of my jetta while back just to prove CRs do in fact warm up on idle contrary to popular belief.
My 0w-40 is like honey when cold. Is there a 0w-20 oil that's approaching bed for the older vw? My emissions are intact on a shelf.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Theoretically, a 0w-40 should flow about the same as a 0w-20 or 0w-30 in sub freezing temps. That's what the 0w refers to- the winter(cold) viscosity. I would stick with the 0w-30 and 0w-40 diesel motor oils...

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Car has 175k miles on original DPF, PO had the car from new.
Interesting.... mine went to CR heaven at 293k (km), so basically identical odo reading, and I was only up to about 155ml.... similar scenario... original owner & DPF. I've always wanted to know what the actual limit for these was, and have yet to find that answer!