How to upload photos in Xenforo and use them in your posts

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
This is a temporary place holder for a proper FAQ on how to upload photos to the new system:

To upload images to the image server:
  1. Go to the "Media" section. The link is found in the top bar.
  2. click on "Add Media" found near the top right corner.
  3. You will get a popup on where you want to upload the new media. If you just want to put it in your own album, scroll to the bottom.
  4. Click on your album. I admit this is not very obvious,
  5. You'll get an option to "Upload file" or "embed media". Choose upload file
  6. Select a file from your computer and click ok
  7. Give a title and description
  8. Click Save.
To use the images in the gallery in your posts:

Older way:
  1. Find the items you want in the Media Gallery
  2. on the right side, near the bottom you will see "share this media"
  3. Copy the code for
    1. Image Link: Example below:
      , ie: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/2461.119445/full
    2. BB Code: Example below:
    3. BB Code with thumbnail - Example below:
    4. GALLERY BB code - Example below and the section below does this directly from a post:
      (

Directly from a post:
  1. Start your reply or thread as normal.
  2. Click on the camera icon
  3. This will bring up a window where you can choose from your media, your albums, other's media, or other's albums.
  4. choose your images. It can be more than one.
  5. click continue
  6. The code for the images will be inserted into your

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Thanks.

Now, how do I find My Albums by title?
Example: If I wanted to add a photo to an existing Album, how do I find that Album?

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Thanks.

Now, how do I find My Albums by title?
Example: If I wanted to add a photo to an existing Album, how do I find that Album?
Hi Andy,
Right now if you go into your album, ie *https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/albums/users/andybees.14852) and then hover over the images thare are inside the albums you will see the titles of the albums. Yes, not perfect, but it works and most importantly your work is all still there. There may be a way for me to at least sort the albums for viewing, but at the moment that seems to be the best I can offer. I'll dig into this a bit more.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, my wife figured out how to identify the different albums. Yes, at first I was worried the albums were lost or maybe jumbled together.
Thanks

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Everything works until I get to item 5. I'm not getting these menu options. I have dropped photos directly into my posts from my PC but I would still like to have what I post on TDIClub stored with TDIClub.

:)

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Everything works until I get to item 5. I'm not getting these menu options. I have dropped photos directly into my posts from my PC but I would still like to have what I post on TDIClub stored with TDIClub.

I noticed if I drag and drop (cut&paste) direct to a post it puts the image in https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?attachments/1598638109666-png.111490/ Is that permanent or temporary? It does not show up in my photos (album).
It appears that both of you are adding attachments to the messages and not linking images from the media section. I will look into why that is possible, as attachments should be turned off so that the images are more visible in the media section and searchable.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It appears that both of you are adding attachments to the messages and not linking images from the media section. I will look into why that is possible, as attachments should be turned off so that the images are more visible in the media section and searchable.
I like your thinking. Though it's easy to drag&drop or cut and paste, I like the workflow of putting the data up in My Album and linking, if for no other reason it makes it easier to thumbnail (an under utilized feature).

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon

Yup, I don't get those menu items either... resorted to Imgr, but would prefer to store 'em here. :)

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Any recommendations for storing .pdf files (How-To file meant for download)?
Yes, that will be the resource section. tcooper_mont is giving me a hand resolving some of the previous dead links and we are now working on bringing new resources into the "Resources" section. I have a few sample items listed there, but once done it will be easier to find specific how to documents as they can all be part of the same 'resource'. IE if there are a few versions of timing belt changes for a specific model you can see them in one spot and then just click the download button. If you have some references to upload, it can be done there as well. While the uploading processes is a little more cumbersome that before, I hope that since it is directly integrated into the forum search and it can be more central, in the end it will become more useful.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Yup, I don't get those menu items either... resorted to Imgr, but would prefer to store 'em here. :)
Can you send me a screen shot of what you see? I think I resolved BK's issue, but this might be something different. There are many people uploading images so it works, but obviously something is missing in the steps.

That brings me to another point. Are there any volunteers familiar enough with this platform and that have some time to improve the documentation for both desktops and mobile devices? This is a perfect example of something I think needs to be improved. I'm still super busy dealing with stuff behind the scenes and preparing for a upcoming server move so I don't really have the time right now. :(

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
@VW Derf , I may have glanced over it, but a lot of the vehicle and motorcycle forums I'm apart of that have migrated in the last year allow for a simple copy-->paste directly in the "reply" box without any uploading media to albums and such. This allows quick pics and screenshots to be grabbed by Snagit or a similar program, and resized in a matter of seconds so you don't link a photo too large for the screen and blow people's eyeballs out. I tried this a number of different ways and the only way I can get images to post are from my albums on here that I have to create, or Imgur. I haven't even played with trying to resize a photo in our albums if it's even possible. What's the plan/status with that, or what simple thing am I missing here?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
@VW Derf , I may have glanced over it, but a lot of the vehicle and motorcycle forums I'm apart of that have migrated in the last year allow for a simple copy-->paste directly in the "reply" box without any uploading media to albums and such. This allows quick pics and screenshots to be grabbed by Snagit or a similar program, and resized in a matter of seconds so you don't link a photo too large for the screen and blow people's eyeballs out. I tried this a number of different ways and the only way I can get images to post are from my albums on here that I have to create, or Imgur. I haven't even played with trying to resize a photo in our albums if it's even possible. What's the plan/status with that, or what simple thing am I missing here?
I asked about this as well. For a day or so we were able to use TDIClub that way. They changed it back. Does not want all the data just floating randomly on the server.
I agree with his thinking. I also understand people don't wish to take 5 minutes to learn something new.
We used to have 3 options for photo size, full, medium, thumbnails. Thumbnails are so nice for large detailed posts, but most don't know how to use them.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
I asked about this as well. For a day or so we were able to use TDIClub that way. They changed it back. Does not want all the data just floating randomly on the server.
I agree with his thinking. I also understand people don't wish to take 5 minutes to learn something new.
We used to have 3 options for photo size, full, medium, thumbnails. Thumbnails are so nice for large detailed posts, but most don't know how to use them.
Yes, most sites do it via attachments. While nice and simple it prevents the items from being shared, searchable and available to the general membership in an easy to find fashion.

HOWEVER, the next release of Xenforo has a feature that will mirror attachments to the media section. My hope is that this can be leveraged so that both goals of making it even easier AND keeping the images visible in the media section can be obtained. We will see if this works as expected in the next couple of months.

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
VW Derf
So in order to post picture I have to create an account on one of those site that host picture & then transfer them into my Media?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
VW Derf
So in order to post picture I have to create an account on one of those site that host picture & then transfer them into my Media?
No, put pictures here, use link in your post. See Post #1.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
VW Derf said:

Vince Waldon said:

Yup, I don't get those menu items either... resorted to Imgr, but would prefer to store 'em here.

=============
I encountered same thing- clicked on "add media" and was able to find my old file album down at the bottom, but didn't see any link or button for "upload file" or "embed media". By chance, I happened to click on one of the photo tiles for one of my previous photos that was showing at that point. When I clicked on the photo tile, it revealed two square tiles; one for "upload file" and another for "embed media". Just posted a couple items for sale, for the first time ever. Hope I did it right...

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
So you've said you've got to item number 5...that means you've created your own albums/ media correct? If you want to post something, it's really easy from there.

In you album or whatever, click on the image that you want to imbed into your post. You'll see the image on your screen. Scroll alllll the way down past the image. You will then see 4 options on the bottom right:

Copy the "image BB code".

Then all you have to do is paste that link into your post. It's only a messily battery....an H8 battery:) :

When you're done, "post" your reply. If you don't like the size, edit your reply after you post it, click on the image, and it will surround your image with the small boxes you can grab with your cursor and resize the image and re-post.

FWIW, the code will look like the following for the images above...it's the BB Image Code you're looking for in your own album on the bottom right (in order in this post in my case):

Code:
[IMG]https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/test-png.137923/full[/IMG]

[IMG]https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/20200929_124043-jpg.137148/full[/IMG]

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Please note that after some upgrades on October 30th until now (November 2nd) the size of uploads possible was limited. This issue has now been resolved.

J.P.

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 05 b5.5V/6spd w/274k miles (daily). Silver 02 Golf/5spd w/240k miles (fun 1). Mint Tornado Red 01 Golf/5spd w/440k (ALH still perfect!!!).
In you album or whatever, click on the image that you want to imbed into your post. You'll see the image on your screen. Scroll alllll the way down past the image. You will then see 4 options on the bottom right:

Thank you for this.

I have to copy the "image BB code" and PASTE IT INTO THE BODY OF MY REPLY. if I use the little "insert image" icon on the menu bar at the top of each post, and paste the same "image BB code" in the dialogue box it won't work. It tells me "something went wrong" and won't load the image. This works every time.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Thank you for this.

I have to copy the "image BB code" and PASTE IT INTO THE BODY OF MY REPLY. if I use the little "insert image" icon on the menu bar at the top of each post, and paste the same "image BB code" in the dialogue box it won't work. It tells me "something went wrong" and won't load the image. This works every time.
Yeah all of the other forums I'm a part of have just a "copy-->paste" option now for adding images inline. Super easy since all OS's have some sort of snipping/screen grab tool. this is the only one that doesn't have that which makes it a bit more of a pain to post photos since you still need a 3rd party image hoster (Imgur) or you need to upload everything to the album. Not as user-friendly.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
... you still need a 3rd party image hoster (Imgur) or you need to upload everything to the album. Not as user-friendly.
Can you elaborate on this? You do not need a 3rd party image hosting site as you just upload to the media section, so I'm a little confused on this comment.

That said I am aiming to update the software to version 2.2 for the end of April and that should making things a little easier as you will be able to 'mirror' your uploads into both the post and the media section at once.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Can you elaborate on this? You do not need a 3rd party image hosting site as you just upload to the media section, so I'm a little confused on this comment.

That said I am aiming to update the software to version 2.2 for the end of April and that should making things a little easier as you will be able to 'mirror' your uploads into both the post and the media section at once.
It's was just a statement saying you need to do one or the other. Imgur provides a BB code link which could be shared to forums by just posting the link... The way we did it back in the day before a lot of the forums had media storage (photobucket and the hijacking years). I wasn't trying to imply that a 3rd party site was needed. The forum now does the same thing, but it's dated. I do a lot of tech writeups across multiple platforms (imgur isn't really even needed anymore since the hosting is basically done by this forum).

Most of them now are owned by the same company which has it's pros and cons.
One of the pros is the ease of posting photos via copy --> paste off of a screenshot or snippet rather than having to upload to an album, find that photo, then copy the code, paste it inline, post it, then edit the post again so you can resize the photo.

With this site, I can't pull up my folder of photos on my hard drive from ____ repair I documented, screenshot them to my snipping program, and paste them inline. I have to upload them all to an album here, then repeat all the steps I mentioned above. It's more time which makes me less inclined to post up images.

Is there a way to implement a copy-paste of images directly inline with posts in this forum's format? I think that would be the most beneficial update to the current forum format.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
When we first got Xenfro, that's how it worked. It was changed because it would result in a very large amount of space to store.
The 2.2 upgrade sounds promising. I too read a dozen or so forums from 3 or 4 hosts every day. I don't like 3rd party party links because they dissapear after x years, making it hard to research an issue. I lke the idea of uploading to the forum, then linking to the post. Hopefully that will get easier with the next upgrade.

Last edited: