how to tell if donor car has short shifter?

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
hi how can guys tell if donor car has short shifter over oem? the one in the donor car has a similar one from dieselgeek not sure if oem looks different

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
If it's the dieselgeek one, it will look like this (Sigma5):

Billet and shiny. Your stock one will be a cast aluminum arm. They are very obviously different.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
If it's the dieselgeek one, it will look like this (Sigma5):

Billet and shiny. Your stock one will be a cast aluminum arm. They are very obviously different.
yeah mine has the big aluminum arm. is there a way to modify to do my swap or do I need to get the short shifter?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Not really sure what your asking. The linkage is the only thing that gets changed/swapped for the short shifter. The physical shifter inside the car stays the same.

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Not really sure what your asking. The linkage is the only thing that gets changed/swapped for the short shifter. The physical shifter inside the car stays the same.
I read the post wrong (kill the auto wabbit thread) lol my bad I guess early alh differs

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
"$300 for the short shifter from www.dieselgeek.com which is needed for clearing the stock power steering line. if you decide not to use the automatic version of the power steering line, this is not covered (yet) in this document."

what is he referring to exactly?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
it was on the kill the auto wabbit thread, but I think he was referring to an early alh. my bad
The one listed in the kill da wabbit thread is the AUTO style power steering line is mounted high, and can interfere with the shift linkage, however it can be manipulated so it's out of the way. I've manual swapped four cars and left the automatic style ps line in, no issues. The manual ps line is routed lower.

Changing to a short shifter will not change if it interferes or not.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Take a dremel cutting wheel to the top ~30mm of the shift lever inside the car (after pulling off the knob of course) = short shifter for me.

There's also a thread here from wingnut on how he created his own short-shifter from the older ball/cup style shift cable attachments. Definitely a different feel to the lever with that.