How to: solve the 04 BEW hard starts and 16705 G28 fault code.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
2004 Bew Tsb for hard starts

first, a quick comment on this excellent write up, it would be nice to know what pin 57 does?
completing this TSB would be made easier by not disturbing the splice of the pin 43 side to the 2 sensors wires, I would snap the black wire on the 2 wire side,
and since I'd like to wire in a toggle switch to be able to reverse the tsb to its original wiring, I would leave a 2" of wire out of the splice, if you opt not to go with a switch I'd just trim it as it exits the splice.
then I would install the repair wire and connect it to the loose black wire going to the sensor, this way you are only working with a single splice.
Anyway, I stumbled across this post while searching for wiring/schematic of the GP relay, I have an 04 Jetta BEW, my problem is with long cranking ONLY in extremely cold weather, NO problem in wet or dry, only when engine is cold and temp is below -10C, or colder.
I still have the steelies, VW dealer gave me the brush off when I took in the letter I received from VW Canada.I was told it is OK as long as it eventually starts then you are ok....and now the recall has expired...
I believe my current problem can be fixed if the Glow plugs remain lit longer, and in order to fool the ECU with infinite reading from the ECT,
this apparently causes the ECU to keep the voltage on to plugs(via relay) for the maximum setting of 25 seconds or so, as stated on many threads I read on here.
So I built me a switch assembly, where I can flick a switch on, causing an open to the ECU from the ECT, then proceed with the normal starting procedure, this also lights up an LED to remind the me I am in the FOOL mode and to go back to normal once the engine starts and stabilize.
And while at it, I added a couple of other goodies, incorporated into the same assembly.
switch 1, controls the Fool mode on/off and turns the LED to the left.(as a reminder)
switch 2, is for a digital volt meter that will be installed in the blank space next to the driver's seat warmer switch.
switch 2 when up, it displays the car 12V supply from a switched source, the VM also provides the charging system health, and the condition of the battery during the GP cycle, cranking cycle as well.
switch 2 when down, measures the voltage supplied to the glow plug,(plug #1, is tapped as a source), and this position also doubles as Off position of the voltmeter display, as it may become a distraction at night, due to the bright blue display.
the 4 LEDs, to the right of this switch act as a visual indicators of voltage being supplied to plugs, tapping point is at GP harness.
(does anyone know if the source of the power/contact to the plugs is bridged for all 4, or each uses a separate relay contact ?
I bench tested it and it works as intended, but will not know for certain till installed and the weather falls below -10C, but it should not hurt, I hope !:)
Sorry guys, I am not sure how to attach a photo, maybe I do not have the permission yet, help if you can, maybe I can email it to a member who can. thx/ SAM
Switch 1 is DPDT
Switch 2 is SPDT
grounds for the LED use limiting resistors, the 12v on the left has a 470 ohm, the glow plugs Leds use 390 ohm.

a picture is worth a thousand words, I wish I knew how to post one.

Last edited:

joben

TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
Highly recommended TSB for those running the latest GP recall for 04's.

I went from heavy cranking to immediate start up. That includes the last week of below zero temps.

Thanks for posting this. :D

scottdanpor

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Hey guys, I've checked my wiring and it looks like this was done (I assume from the new tape on it, I couldn't get one wiper arm off... ugh)
I'm having some hard starts... so I wanted to check my software version...

0282... isn't this a really old version? Am I reading this right?

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
You have the latest firmware for 7v NGK glow plug update.

chz17

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta TDI GL 5spd, 2004 jetta TDI PD
I have Vag No: 038 997 016 L . Do i need to do this TSB? 2004 tdi pd, second owner.

mark8812

TDI
2000 jetta, 2004 jetta wagon
Last few mournings my car has taken 5-10 seconds to start been roughly 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Completed the tsb last night and this morning temp was in the single digits, the car started within 1-2 seconds.

Thank you for the great write up on how to do this. Took me about 30min from opening the hood to completion.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
Last few mournings my car has taken 5-10 seconds to start been roughly 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Completed the tsb last night and this morning temp was in the single digits, the car started within 1-2 seconds.

Thank you for the great write up on how to do this. Took me about 30min from opening the hood to completion.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Was it smokey and sound like it runs on 2 cylinders when it's below freezing?

TdiTaff

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Golf TDi 5Speed
I'm having cold start problems as described above. I've had the TSB for GPs, injectors etc. done and still the cold start issues persist. I don't get any fault codes from the cold start, just takes long cranking time, produces lots of white smoke and stumbles/stutters for 10-30 seconds until it smoothes out on the dynamic idle Malone tune.
My plan is to take a log of starter/engine speed upon cold start and see how fast it's being turned over. If slow i'll inspect and clean up starter motor and probably replace the brush block as i'm in there.
Also, I'd like to check if this TSB/fix has been applied to my car (not done by me) and if not, do it. I realise it's an 05 and this is supposedly for 04s so with that in mind, has anyone checked their 05 to see if it's been done (or done it themselves) and what was the outcome?
I was also thinking, after reading the How-to, that it would be an easy ammendment to just cut the black wire to G28 at the crimp and crimp the repair wire (pin 57) directly to that, making sure both joints are sealed.
Any thoughts/ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

vk_bigTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDi
This is weird.... But I think someone before me did this already on my car...
Can it be possible that dealer , or manufactury did it on my car?

PinkFloydPerson

TDI
96 Passat TDI
Can someone please explain how to find what software version the car has through Vagcom? Having some cold start issues and want to figure out what my car has in it.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Will the fix work on this version?
The car has had the GP update.
In the 04PD I found this:
Control Module Part Number: 038 997 016 R
Component and/or Version: R4 1,9L EDC G000SG 0282
Software Coding: 0150031
Work Shop Code: WSC 66565
VCID: 2D4FD2E3B7EBE956E5-515A
Advanced Identification
Serial number: VWZ7Z0C8604271
Identification: BPG-810
Revision: 12345678
Date: 15.11.03
Test stand number: 1865
Manufacturer number: 0984
Hardware number: 028 101 114 6

atrussell129

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW
I read some place that you could place the ground wire on the block instead of having to pull the ECU out. I would like to find out more about that option....seems simpler and less intrusive.
Did you ever find out if you can ground the wire to the black at the plug instead of pulling the ECM out? :confused::confused:

Bells7246

TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLI
All,
I just found this post last night and did it to my 04 Jetta and its made an immediate difference. Great write up. Thank for this

tjpeterson96

TDI
04 bew jetta
Does anyone have a copy of this TSB they can send me? I'd like to have it for reference purposes and can find no way to get a copy of it

detrickm

TDI
Jetta, 2004, Platinum Grey
Thanks!

Just did this finally. Car seems to start a bit better. It wasn't as horrible starting as some had described, but definitely stumbled especially when colder. Definitely threw the code. So far, two starts in, it seems happier.

Thanks for the detailed write-up!

Nathanael Greene

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 1.9 PD/BEW
Hi!
I'm trying to figure out if my car has the software update, I'm the second owner, so the info I have is this:

-The glow plugs in it when I got it were the 7v NKGs Just replaced them with NGK 5909. (are these right for my car?)

-I'm getting 10v or so to the glow plugs.

Dose any of this prove whether or not I have the update? or is there another simple way to know?

Also it doesn't look like the this TSB has bean preformed.

Thanks
Nate

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Hi!
I'm trying to figure out if my car has the software update, I'm the second owner, so the info I have is this:

-The glow plugs in it when

Also it doesn't look like the this TSB has bean preformed.
Call the dealer provide your vin

Nathanael Greene

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I have the update. What's the the best (cheapest + reliable) place to get the replacement wire?

Thanks,
Nate

Nathanael Greene

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys!
just wanted to say that I did this TSB, and my car starts way better. It had gotten to the point where when I went to move it into the shop to do this TSB, I couldn't get it to start and decided to push it in as the battery was sounding low. Way better!

Also found that if you have a pick-n-pull type junk yard it's a great place to get the wire, I was getting a few other parts as well so they didn't even charge me, way better than the $17.00 I was finding online.

Thank you turbocharged798 for posting this! It was very easy to follow.

Nate

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I read some place that you could place the ground wire on the block instead of having to pull the ECU out. I would like to find out more about that option....seems simpler and less intrusive.
Did you ever find out if you can ground the wire to the black at the plug instead of pulling the ECM out? :confused::confused:

Any one know the answer to this question?
It was asked at least 3 times in this thread and not answered. I’m stuck right now 90% done just need this question answered.

While It seems to be a simple ground, i hope someone can confirm this before I send it and try a chassis ground. I mean There is a location under the ECU with 2 grounds there already so seems like a good place to go.

(BTW the repair wire is a simple .63mm female spade terminal but I can’t get one anywhere.)

Thanks

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I would think by bringing the ground back to the ECU ensures that you are at a 0V reference. Grabbing a ground somewhere else could unintentionally introduce stray voltages from voltage drop. I could be wrong though.

The original VW TSB wants the ground going directly to the ECU.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
Fair enough, surely VW would have made it easier if they could have… Even tho it’s an over engineered vw!?

Thanks for the fast reply and EXCELLENT write up.

chaseadam

TDI
b5.5
Just did this to my 2004 Jetta TDI wagon and worked great! My wagon refused to start along with the Crank and Cam sensor fault codes (G28 and G40). There is a lot of information about fuel supply issues with these errors. I ran all those down, but there was *zero* smoke or smell coming out of the tailpipe which indicated to me that no fuel *at all* was making it into the chamber. This pointed to the ECU/PD solenoid and I found this thread. My understanding is that the Crank sensor is *required* for the ECU to know when to trigger the PD solenoid to inject the fuel. The cam sensor is only used for "quick start" which gives the ECU faster time to "ignition confidence" of knowing the position of the crank shaft informing when it should trigger the solenoid.

This gives great theory including the error conditions for these sensors: VW_TDI_with_PumpeDuse.pdf https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmTza1aUr8EsY1rZ98ftudghwiV42JX1BEWT2oZYHtj5DA

The ECU "version" confused me because it appears the "below 6327" actually means "newer" according to my interpretation of PD_GlowPlugTechBul_12-2010.pdf https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmaRAf65mBx8NDPkt3F5sSPtHwwYdrMax3JnV63pvruKKn. "0282" is the "new software revision"

I found via VCDS I had version 0282 which appears to be related to the glow plug recall (linked above) which must have been done before I purchased the car.