HOW TO: Retrofit Ambient Interior Lights

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
On the Audi A3/A4, there are some parts of the interior light pack that are very easy to retrofit. It only took me 30 minutes, and it cost under 10 quid for the parts. There is no wiring involved, there are spade connectors already there to plug the LEDs in. Thanks to my friend Nelson of TSN for letting me know how to do this mod.

The LEDs emit a red glow over the dash at night, usually this is specified as an option. But it really does look good at night reflecting off the aluminium inlays.

Make sure you have the following before you begin:

The LEDs from your dealer, Part Number: 8E0919063A
A drill with a 7mm bit
A + screwdriver

I apologise for the blurry pics, but they are fine for these purposes.

The Part:

Step 1.) Carefully unclip the two removable panels on your light cluster, in the following order:

Step 2.) Locate the two screws in the light cluster that are preventing it from coming out, and unscrew them both - make sure you have a hand ready to catch the screws otherwise you'll do what I did and nearly lose them down the side of the seats.

Step 3.) Pull out the light cluster, it should come out very easily. Locate the two spade connectors, it's quite hard to see them in this pic but once you have done the above steps you won't miss them.

Step 4.) Clip the part you bought from the dealers in. There is only one way it will go in so dont worry about clipping it back to front.

Step 5.) Connect the LED to the spade connectors, be patient and careful with them, they can be quite fiddley.

Step 6.) Drill 2 holes in the light cluster you removed, there are circles that protrude the surface and this is where you need to drill. I managed to go a little off center with my first one - don't panic if this happens, just dont deviate too much from the center and you should still be ok. (ignore the size of the hole there at first I drilled 5mm and then realised it need to be 7mm).

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
Step 7.) Put the light cluster back in its place and screw it in.

Step 8.) Replace everything then test the LEDs for operation by turning the vehicles lights on.

Sorry but I don't have any pics as of yet of the lights at night, my camera is so poor it doesn't capture the glow very well. But it is a cheap mod and very effective.

I am not sure if you can do this on VWs but it would be interesting if you VW owners could pull your clusters and check for connectors and a space for it to go :cool:

Hope you enjoyed the How To :D

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Pretty cool...I'd like to see it in action if you can get a better camera.

I took the lazy way out:

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
Ok I've just tried to take a couple, but as you can see its hard to capture the glow on this awful camera. (it was good in its day).

The part I have highlighted in green, this is what the entire centre console looks like with these lights fitted.

And as you can see from this pic it's impossible to see that glow thru the camera, probably due to the brightness of the other cabin lights.

Well hopefully this will at least give you some idea until I can borrow a better camera.

Dieseldorf was that factory fitted on your car then?

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Audi A4 S-Line 2.0TDI Superchipped ~190bhp/300lbs/ft...**drool**