How to replace selector shaft bearing/sleeve?

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Josh,

So, how did this turn out for you...?

df

Hey DF, good to hear from you. I actually haven't installed the slave cylinder as of yet. I did however remove my pinned gear shift cable from the shift tower, cleaned it really well, a filled all the gaps in with UltraGrey RTV. The rubber was extremely spongy, and filling the gaps with the RTV really solidified things. I also removed the nylon bushings at various places and put a wrap or two of teflon tape on the outside of the bushings and slid the bushings back into place. This helped tighten the clearance up quite a bit, and helped shift quality slightly. I notice that most of my issue is selector cable deflection, and a couple other issues in the shift box.

I basically have started a systematic approach in getting my shift issue resolved. I started off on the wrong foot early in my transmission swap since my shift cables were an inch and a half too short - they were actually 6-speed shift cables. I finally got a used shift box, and the proper length 5-speed cables. Having the correct length of cables helps alot. My first assault in my shift quality battle was cleaning and regreasing various shift components. I also made multiple shift cable calibrations. Once that didn't really take care of things I new I needed to go further. That's when I filled in the shift cable end like I mentioned above. That helped slightly, but still hasn't taken care of the problem. I think my next move it to address the shift cable deflection by figuring out a cheap way to more positively join the shift cable end to the shift cable itself. Not sure just yet how I will tackle that. I don't want to throw down mega bucks for fancy MetalNerd shift cable ends just yet, though that would fix my deflection issue. There must be a cheaper method!

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hope mine shifts fine after my clutch is installed next Monday. Right now, it's really rough with the engine running.

df

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
I am still having major issues. The above posts outline my issue, and futile attemps to mitigate the issue. Basically, I am having trouble getting into 1st and second mainly-especially difficults when moving. Most recently I had the transmission lock up in reverse, and it was extremely difficult to get it out. Not sure if the shift box/linkage caused it to lock up or just what. 1st, 2nd, and fifth have alot of side to side movement at the shifter(up and down at the shift tower) when in gear. Seems like linkage sloppiness. Any ideas?

By the way, mine doesn't do this-mine is nice and tight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=uszvPtrLRVM&NR=1

Also,

seems to be something like this-1st and 2nd, and fifth are the worst ones on mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD3XGep2DmY&feature=related

Last edited:

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Josh I bet I know what's wrong with your shifter. Pop to boot off below your shift knob (in the car). Make sure that the plastic/rubber knob for the side to side lever is still in tact. My guess is that it is not and therefore the cable isn't pulling/pushing the bell crank far enough to align with the top & bottom gear gates 1st/R/5th

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
Josh I bet I know what's wrong with your shifter. Pop to boot off below your shift knob (in the car). Make sure that the plastic/rubber knob for the side to side lever is still in tact. My guess is that it is not and therefore the cable isn't pulling/pushing the bell crank far enough to align with the top & bottom gear gates 1st/R/5th

Thanks, I will check that out. I wonder if there is a refresh kit of sorts for the shift box? I would LOVE to replace some of the nylon bushings in there.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Josh, it sounds like your clutch is not disengaging .... Have you replaced the clutch fork pivot ball ? EDIT.... I just watched the underhood video of your shifter... Your shift tower bushing is shot !! I have a excellent early mkiv tower I'll let go cheap

Last edited:

Deanow24

TDI
1.9 110 AFN Mk1 Caddy
Abit late but for anyone looking , I knocked a nut into place and did a few tacks , screwed the bolt in and it came out in a few knocks

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Abit late but for anyone looking , I knocked a nut into place and did a few tacks , screwed the bolt in and it came out in a few knocks

Explain further please what you mean? The sleeve is hard to take out, the bearings are easy.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'm stuck on the starting line. Looking to pop out the shift tower but it's not budging (after removing the two bolts). I tapped around on the tower housing with a small brass hammer but that didn't phase it.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Post 19 and 20 might help you:
You might need to pull to 90degree lever.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The locking pin doesn't do anything.

Could this be sticking due to sealer? I removed the two 13mm bolts. Smacking the tower so far hasn't budged it. I'm hesitant to really whack it hard.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The locking pin doesn't do anything.

Could this be sticking due to sealer? I removed the two 13mm bolts. Smacking the tower so far hasn't budged it. I'm hesitant to really whack it hard.
I recall having the same problem. I think I whacked on it and even used some large channel lock pliers to twist it, but I cannot remember what I did 100%.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Doesn't do anything as in:
A. doesn't move at all?
B. Doesn't pull outward?

I think it has a pretty good grip on the inards.
So they have to come out too if you don't pull it.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Regarding the locking pin, it does lock on to the shaft, but it wasn't that which was hanging things up for me, it was that the tower was stuck in the case.

I DID manage to get the tower out (with the shaft) I threw some quick heat at it (with plastic bits it's a bit tricky and you can't hold in one place very long). I then beat it like a rented mule and pried up using a screwdriver in the shifter linkage hole (or whatever that is).

Here's a good picture that I ran across from another forum posting (I can't pull the picture in, but here's the link):

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/mk4shiftowerparts.135748/