- Sep 15, 2009
- Vero Beach, Fl.
- 2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
So, how did this turn out for you...?
Hey DF, good to hear from you. I actually haven't installed the slave cylinder as of yet. I did however remove my pinned gear shift cable from the shift tower, cleaned it really well, a filled all the gaps in with UltraGrey RTV. The rubber was extremely spongy, and filling the gaps with the RTV really solidified things. I also removed the nylon bushings at various places and put a wrap or two of teflon tape on the outside of the bushings and slid the bushings back into place. This helped tighten the clearance up quite a bit, and helped shift quality slightly. I notice that most of my issue is selector cable deflection, and a couple other issues in the shift box.
I basically have started a systematic approach in getting my shift issue resolved. I started off on the wrong foot early in my transmission swap since my shift cables were an inch and a half too short - they were actually 6-speed shift cables. I finally got a used shift box, and the proper length 5-speed cables. Having the correct length of cables helps alot. My first assault in my shift quality battle was cleaning and regreasing various shift components. I also made multiple shift cable calibrations. Once that didn't really take care of things I new I needed to go further. That's when I filled in the shift cable end like I mentioned above. That helped slightly, but still hasn't taken care of the problem. I think my next move it to address the shift cable deflection by figuring out a cheap way to more positively join the shift cable end to the shift cable itself. Not sure just yet how I will tackle that. I don't want to throw down mega bucks for fancy MetalNerd shift cable ends just yet, though that would fix my deflection issue. There must be a cheaper method!