How to Rent a Diesel in Europe?

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
I have a co-worker who has suffered through 2.5 years of hearing about the wonders of diesel and my Jetta in particular and is taking a Honeymoon across the pond in May. He would like to rent a diesel car and something that he can not get in the US and when he hits the rental sites for reserving a car for an arrival in Frankfort a.M. this isn't an option. So for any who have insight on how to do this please lets have the skinny. I offered to go in place of the bride at the thought of driving forbidden fruit but he has declined that offer/images/graemlins/grin.gif. So please lets help this guy out and maybe a new club member will be created.
Thanks,
Paul Rieger
aka Jump62

U.S. Paratroopers, good till the last drop

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
When I went in 1998, I rented from Hertz. They listed the cars available on line. When I got to the rental place in France, I told them I only wanted a diesel. I drove it for 3600 miles and loved it. Got my TDI the next year. Just tell him to wait until they get him a diesel. Worked for me.

vchaudha

Veteran Member
TDI
3 TDIs
On my recent trip to France & Italy, I did not even have to ask for a diesel, they automatically gave me one - a Peugot. I have tons of diesel car pics from my trip - Any ideas how i can share the love?
Vinny

Tango_Kilo

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2004, reflex silver
Same here, I ended up with a diesel rental on a trip to France without even requesting one. It was a 5-speed Nissan and from that experience I was sold on diesel (or "gasoil" as they call it in France). /images/graemlins/grin.gif

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
i have colleagues that travel to Europe two or three times a year on gummint bidness. they say it is harder to get a gas powered rental car than a diesel.

tommy37

Veteran Member
I rented a diesel Renault in Munich from Hertz. I did not think to specify a diesel, but they offered it and asked if it was ok with me. It was pretty nice and there was no charge to drop it in Frankfurt.

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
Thanks for all who replied, my coworked was amazed that I got responses but hey this is TDIClub. Thanks again.
Paul Rieger
aka Jump62