How to: Removing a Double Din MK4 Radio

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
The radio is held in with 4 clips. There is a specific Tool required to remove the radio.

These clips are just a piece of metal that is bent at a 90 degree angle with little holes for your tool to catch. When you insert the Tool, the idea is the tool goes into the holes, pushes against the inside edge, and pulls the clips inwards, releasing the radio.

Here is a basic animation I made depicting how it works.

Pictures

If your Stock/OEM radio is stuck:

You probably bent one of the clips and it's not moving in anymore. With the unit still inside, the face of the radio can be easily removed with a small screwdriver and carefully working your way around in a circle, keep going at it slowly and the face should just pop off. There are 3 tabs on the top and bottom, and 2 on each side, the tab locations are circled in green. Be careful and slow.

Picture of the faceplate tabs on the outside of the radio:

Circled in red is the radio connector to the faceplate, be careful to removing and putting the faceplate on, these thin metal tabs have to go perfectly into their slots or you could damage your radio.

Picture of the radio with the face removed:

With the front removed you can use a the screwdriver and/or small pliers to pull the clips inwards and release the radio.

NOTE: if you have a couple of screwdrivers you can remove the radio using this method without requiring the special tools.

Or you can make your own tool, print this image on a paper and make sure it is 5cm long when printed (should already be done for you but double check). Transfer to a card and use the outline to cut out your own set of Radio tool keys. :)

Last edited:

cbalthazor

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Lifted Wagon
You can also fabricate some radio removal tools using an unwanted CD or credit card. Just follow the same shape as the tools seen in the above graphic, worked great for me using my expired credit card!

The key with any DIN mounting/tools, is just be gentle. Insert the tools to hopefully unseat the locking clip, and gently pull out. If it starts sticking, try removing and re-inserting the tool... Trying to tug the unit out will just break something and add to the frustration.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
If you're really stuck, you can remove the glove box or dash trim and drill a hole through the plastic radio cage and use the drill bit to push on the tab.

Don't ask me how I know this method works :(

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
No need to drill or remove the dash, just remove the faceplate and you have easy access!

The person's vehicle had the MFD1 Navigation and the faceplate doesn't come off easily. In fact, I have never removed the face plate on that unit, just the entire screen.

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Ah, I'm not familiar with that model, that part is angled more towards the people with stock OEM radios - which I have now noted thanks to your observations. :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
On mine, I slide the tools in, hear them click into place, but they don't release the unit. I sometimes have had to use a putty knife to gently pry the unit out.

Can you show on an INSTALLED unit, where to pry the face plate clips loose? Or are they just where the slots are located? Thanks.

I'm considering just removing the locking clips the next time I have the unit out. Or just taping them in the released position.

Last edited:

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
The reason your tools aren't working is probably you have pushed a clip out instead of in.

On the picture, the blue circles indicate where the tabs for the face plate are, they are just to the inside from the slots for the tool.

With the unit still inside, use a small screwdriver to carefully pry up. Work your way around in a circle, keep going at it slowly and the face should just pop off.

In my picture the bottom of the radio is the right side with the cassette player, and the top is the left side with the CD player (rotate the picture 90 degrees to the right).

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The thing is I can HEAR the clips snap into the notch on each of the tools, and a very light pull on the tool does not remove the tool. Also I've had the radio out a couple of times. I'll see if I can get the face plate off, then see what happens at each spot when I slide a tool into place.

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
With the faceplate off, you'll be able to see what the problem is.

In my case the PO had bent a clip out, and even though I heard a "click" sound, I was really just hearing the tool pushing against the edges of the radio frame.

Good luck!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How does the face unit electrically connect to the body? Is there a cable I have to watch out for?