How-To Remove/Install the Misfuel Adapter 2013 Jetta

TDEyes

TDI
2002, 2013 Jetta TDI
I have a 2002 Jetta TDI with over 200K miles and have always filled to the brim after a guy showed me the vent release trick at 10K miles. This gets me 2.5 gallons more more fuel @ 40 MPG = an extra 100 miles before pump time. Never a problem.

So the paint gets worn and my windshield cracks so I went out and bought a new 2013 Jetta TDI last weekend. Well, on my first fill up I decide to try to top off knowing the misfuel adapter would make that a challenge. Sure enough I over fill and spill fuel. Now I'm pissed! The misfuel restrictor has to go NOW! I know it's a risk especially if you loan your diesel to someone who is used to gas.

I figured out how to remove the misfuel adapter and fortunately the process is reversible and repeatable so you can take it out and put it back in at will.

My inspiration for doing this is a procedure I found online for Audi. It is not the same but it gave me enough to figure out the removal process for the 2013 Jetta. It gives a good mental image:

http://audi.workshop-manuals.com/a4-mk3/index.php?id=1539

How I removed the misfuel adapter for my 2013 Jetta TDI:

Go here to see pictures in the photo album - http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.p...removal2f-installation-2013-jetta-tdi&cat=516

Note the picture of the filler neck is after removal of the misfuel adapter assembly.

Make a small hook from coat hanger or stiff wire.

Find or make (from hacksaw blade maybe) a tool to insert in the 4 o'clock slot to push the retainer barb from its latching position in the filler neck. The tool I used is from a lock pick set and worked perfectly. Some twisting was necessary so the end of the tool pushed the barb from its latched position. Maybe if the tool was bent inward at the end that might work as well...

In my case I only had to release the latch at 4 o'clock but you may also have to do the one at 10 o'clock too. Use the hook to apply a gentle pulling force while releasing the latch(es). Lastly, after I felt the 4 o'clock latch release I used a small blade screwdriver at 12 o'clock to push the assembly slightly downward at which point the misfuel assembly came free and pulled straight out.

To re-install the misfuel adapter assembly just insert and push in until you hear the latches click. The assembly has asymmetrical features and cannot be installed incorrectly.

Now I have to wait to my next fill up to see if I can get the additional volume after the pump clicks off - no vent release though, appreciate your thoughts here. The fuel economy of the Jetta TDI's are great but I really cherish the range as I commute 80 miles 5 days a week and love infrequent visits to the pump. :)

Last edited:

Cobrargc

TDI
2013 Jetta
I may have to do this mod. A couple of the diesel stations around town have the incorrect diesel nozzles (pumps). They appear to be unleaded nozzles with a grean cover to identify them diesel. The 1st time I tried to fill my Jetta I was unable to get the nozzle into my filler neck due to the misfuel adapter. I fired off an email nastygram to both stations to get them to install the correct nozzles.

splatmatic

TDI
2011 Jetta
I'd be curious if this will allow you to fit a full sized diesel nozzle in. It would make hunting for diesel when im on the road alot easier :eek:

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
I'd be curious if this will allow you to fit a full sized diesel nozzle in. It would make hunting for diesel when im on the road alot easier :eek:
Agreed. The least expensive diesel fuel in my area seems to be at the only station that has the truck-only nozzles. OP, could you try this at a diesel pump with a truck nozzle?

splatmatic

TDI
2011 Jetta
Agreed. The least expensive diesel fuel in my area seems to be at the only station that has the truck-only nozzles. OP, could you try this at a diesel pump with a truck nozzle?
Actually after studying the pictures more, It seems that this is not the same setup as my 2011 model. Mine just has dinky plastic arms that stick out of the cap that won't allow the larger nozzle. Although, my car is in the shop right now and they did a TSB for the fuel cap. But im pretty sure it was just the stickers I got in the mail and threw out

TDEyes

TDI
2002, 2013 Jetta TDI
Short answer no, after removing the misfuel adapter the remaining inlet diameter is slightly over 1 inches (1.030"). According to some online reports truck diesel nozzles are 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Gasoline nozzles are 13/16 inch and auto diesel is 15/16 inch diameter.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Has anyone confirmed that this helps get in more fuel? I find that the misfuel adapter helps keep the foam from coming out as I top it off, kinda like the wooden spoon trick to keep boiling water from foaming over.

markanthony

TDI
2013 Jetta w/Nav and Premium Sound
I just took mine out. I used a screwdriver and shoved it in the 4 o'clock position as far as it would go. Then pushed towards the other tab and pulled it out. Took a little force but there was no damage. Thanks for the pictures. It would have been harder to know what you were talking about without them.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Interesting... I've also got the 2011 model and that piece is nowhere in sight. My filler neck looks like yours does AFTER the mod, and it came that way from the factory.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Guess for 2012 the ugly yellow sticker do the same thing. I don't have any such device. I also don't have any problem with overfilling or spilling. If I feel patient I can usally squeeze another gallon or so in safely as the foam goes down.

specialk98671

TDI
Golf TDI 4D 6M GBM base trim
If any of you want to part with the misfueling adapter, my 2012 doesn't have it and I'd like to get one so that I don't have to worry about anyone who borrows it (my wife) accidentally filling it with gas.

PM me a price.

TDSA

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Premium
Same here. If someone want to sell me theirs, let me know. I assume it'll fit in a 2012

Bliddy Bladdy

TDI
Jetta 2013
I removed my misfueling adapter from my 2013this afternoon and it was simpler than I was expecting after reading this thread a couple weeks ago. I just put a flathead screwdriver in the 11 o'clock position on the outside of the contraption and pushed it all the way in as far as I could, then slipped the bent coathanger hook I made into the metal flapper area where there is a space to do that. I got it out in less than a minute and could do it again in less than 15 seconds, I'm sure. There are slots in the plastic outer frame at 11 and 4 o'clock to slip the screwdriver in nicely.

After I filled up, my crank handle filler nozze from my home diesel tank fit in there nicely as it did in my old 2003 Jetta (traded that in with 380,000 miles on it). I don't believe this adapter has anything to do with adding capacity like the ventectomy used to do. I'd STILL like to figure out if I could get more fuel in the tank.

And I'm going to keep my adapter for the time being, warranty issues and all. I'm the only one who fills this car, though.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
No tools are needed. One coat hanger will work. Cut the center hook out and make bend the end around a needle nose pliers. This will be the puller. Bend both end sections together to make thin sections to push into the tab area.

Small screwdrivers are too thick and place force on the adapter which makes for hard removal. The thinner coat hanger allows for easy removal.

If a person wanted to keep the factory look but remove function the metal flap can be opened out and on the bottom the two small tabs can be filed down and would never lock. Flapper would still open and close but not require the full size nozzle.

jriels74

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI
I removed mine this morning. Instead of a coat hanger, I used a paint can opener. Almost like it was made to do this. Here in South Mississippi, nobody has the proper diesel nozzle on the pumps.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
If diesel nozzles are larger than gas ones, how does this prevent the smaller nozzle from going in anyway? Still don't get it...

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Gas nozzles aren't wide enough to push down more than one tab at a time, and the flap needs both tabs to be pushed down to release it.

tb303

TDI
2012 Toureg, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a new model 2013 Jetta with the misfueling guard permanently built into the tank? I bought my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI in July '13, and am having all of the same problems finding adequate gas stations around my house that will fuel it. The dealer says the NEW model cars (i.e. this past few months) cannot have the misfueling guard removed at all. They say it is permanently part of the fuel tank and is not an adaptor that can be removed.

I haven't seen any talks of this on the message board, so I'm wondering if it is indeed true that the new tanks cannot be modified.

Thanks for any information you can offer.

atomics!

TDI
2012 Jetta
For those offering to buy: VW issued a "service recall" for my 2012 TDI offering to install it for free: just go to your dealer and I'm sure they'll give it to you at no cost.

(Incidentally, I asked them if it might make it harder to fuel up with it installed, and they said nah; the next day when I tried to fill up, I apparently was at a station that didn't have standard diesel size nozzles. I was seriously cheezed!)

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
I fiddled around some this afternoon after reading this thread, then tonight with time to think about what tool to use I tried a flat needle file with only very fine teeth on the edges the flats were "safe" and a small hooked probe. I guess I was expecting more of a metallic click, but on fishing the guard out of the filler neck saw how it worked saw why there wasn't. If it ever needs to go back on it'll be simple, and simple to get back out. Hopefully this will simplify refueling.

Last edited:

shinghi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG - 2000 Jetta TDI GLS (SOLD)
Without removing the misfueling adapter is there any way to actually properly fill the car up. The Chevron station I use has a standard diesel pump with a spring like thing wrapped around the nozzle. I can get the nozzle about 3-4 inches in until it hits the metal spring thing - So I basically fill it up until i hear it coming up the neck. I found that this makes it even harder to calculate my MPGs because I can't get a proper "click" off every fill... Might be taking this thing off..

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
In my experience all I can say is good luck. Even without the springs on the nozzles they don't go into the filler neck/adapter very far. The first couple of times I worried that it was going to fall out, but it doesn't. The only solution I found was to not rely on the auto fill lever lock and fill manually at a slow rate. After spilling fuel all over the place I gave up on trying to fill to the brim with the adapter in place.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Filled the Jetta up today for the first time since the misfueling adapter was pulled which allows the diesel nozzle with spring to be put into the filler neck nearly up to the "rubber" splash guard on the nozzle. Still decided against trying to fill to the brim because manually filling at the lowest possible flow I can get over 550 miles worth of fuel in the tank in combined driving.

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I just want to say I love not having to screw around with this component! I have just your basic, classic metal-mouthed filler pipe I can see the fuel level in easily. I only use a handful of a certain brand of stations that are of high-standard and volume. I can set the thing to max and walk away, and after the auto shut-off I can slow squeeze to the brim in a couple minutes, all without spilling a drop. Only trouble I have is the moderation of low pressure of the pump itself is off-caliber occasionally.

Nah nah nah, nah nah nah. :p

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
I just want to say I love not having to screw around with this component! I have just your basic, classic metal-mouthed filler pipe I can see the fuel level in easily. I only use a handful of a certain brand of stations that are of high-standard and volume. I can set the thing to max and walk away, and after the auto shut-off I can slow squeeze to the brim in a couple minutes, all without spilling a drop. Only trouble I have is the moderation of low pressure of the pump itself is off-caliber occasionally.

Nah nah nah, nah nah nah. :p
I'm heading up to Suntrup in the morning for my 30k service... We'll see if they heed my warnings about not installing the adapter on my car. There WILL be hell to pay if they do it after I tell them not to.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
It's funny this topic got brought up again because I was SO annoyed this morning I've decided to remove mine. Here's my thought process...

I notice it gives me trouble when I'm starting from nearly empty, but NOT when I'm almost half full.

I'm assuming the adapter causes more foaming which just plain has more time to accumulate when you start from empty, thereby causing the pump to shut off, sound plausible?

What I CAN'T figure out is why it doesn't seem to happen at full serve stations...

I also don't see how this prevents anything... can the spring in a regular pump not fit?

It also made me think that it's also preventing me from using the big boy diesel pump! No?

It also occured to me today that around here most pumps have the tabs removed that allow you to walk away, but many of the diesel pumps still have them, which is a bonus I can't enjoy if it's constantly tripping...

And lastly, perhaps more importantly, I feel like my per-tank mileage has dropped, and I wonder if it has something to do with the added foam... At any rate, consider it gone!